PDA

View Full Version : does anyone have the book Healthy Sleep Habits?

Can Dance
09-17-2009, 06:57 PM
Ds is about to turn 4 months and though Weissbluth talked about CIOing, I know that he did say what most children were doing at this age, and what some perimeters for "normal" are. I remember saying there was usually a short nap within an 1.5 of waking up and then another two later in the day, and he gave times.

I am not trying to schedule him, I just want to know how he is doing peer wise :) I think he does give good sleep advice other than the CIOing out part....

hopefully this book is okay to be discussed in a non CIO context....

aleigh
09-19-2009, 01:34 PM
I think he gives some good advice too. He really talks a lot about knowing your child's sleep cues, putting them to bed before they get overtired, etc. What you said about the timing is what I've read in every sleep book by a sleep doctor & actually what both of my children fell into on their own at around 6 months. Nap #1- about an hour or 2 after waking in the morning (usually considered an extension of nighttime sleep), Nap #2- at 4 months probably 2-3 hours later & then a late afternoon/early evening catnap.

My daughter just recently gave up that late catnap. She's almost 9 months old & naps pretty consistently at about 9 or 9:30- usually that's the long one- hour and a half and then again about 3 hours after she wakes up for nap #2 (usually around 1 & that nap is usually anywhere from 45 minutes-an hour +). Then she's in bed around 7 or 7:30.

I've also read a good sleep rule with babies that young is up for 2 hours & then nap. Neither of mine could handle being up for any more than 2 hours at 4 months. So, depending on the nap length (they were both 30 minute nappers. grrrrr.) they would take 3-4 naps a day. it just depended on how they were doing.

Katigre
09-19-2009, 01:42 PM
Trying to remember...I know the '2 hour window' is still very important and at least 3 naps a day - so it might look roughly like this:

Up: 7am
Nap 1: 8:45am-10:30am
Nap 2: 12:15am-1:45pm
Nap 3: 3:30pm - 5:00pm
Bedtime: 7:00pm

(total approximations - just showing how in the daytime hours a baby his age would need to sleep again ~1.5-2 hours after each wake-time, and that works out to three naps a day and then bedtime.

Can Dance
09-19-2009, 03:35 PM
thanks ladies. that is what I was looking for! :heart