PDA

View Full Version : No, no he does NOT need to nurse AGAIN

Psyche
09-11-2009, 06:37 PM
Serious. Serious. I am so sick of Jon's waking. It is absolutely insane. He wakes at least every hour before I go to bed. Sometimes more. He doesn't need to eat, he just sucks on my nipple for 2 minutes, in such a way I don't even let down, and goes right back to sleep (usually). Doesn't matter where he is. Our bed, his pack n play.

I.am.sick.of.it.

And don't get me started on his nursing at night. He does the EXACT same thing. Not all night but a good portion of it.

And that whole Dr. Sears idea of fathering him to sleep. HA. HA! Jon will scream his ever loving head off before he lets Jason put him to sleep at night in bed. Oh, he'll go to sleep in his arms while Jason's watch tv, but just try for Jason to get him to go to sleep one night. Just try for Jason to put him back to sleep. He won't cuddle (even me), he'll trash and grab and pinch and yell. He won't take a pacifier.

I swear, I swear the next time I have a kid, s/he is taking a pacifier in the first few days.

:help

kiloyd
09-11-2009, 06:42 PM
I was so where you are! DD was waking every hour before I went to sleep at 11 or 12. She's finally waking up only 1 or two times. And she's 2!

it will end. Although I'm still waiting for mine to sleep 10 hours straight. My 8 and 4 yr old do so I know it will come.

I know how you feel, you have my empathy. :hug2

Mama Rophe
09-11-2009, 06:44 PM
That is how I feel with Hurricaine. Though most nights it's a lot better now. It used to be that way. He still won't allow dh to put him to bed though. UGH. I feel for you. (((hugs)))

Mama Rophe
09-11-2009, 06:46 PM
That is how I feel with Hurricaine. Though most nights it's a lot better now. It used to be that way. He still won't allow dh to put him to bed though. UGH. I feel for you. (((hugs)))

Mama Rophe
09-11-2009, 06:50 PM

Mama Rophe
09-11-2009, 06:50 PM

Emerald Orchid
09-11-2009, 06:52 PM
Your ds is 9-10 months? This is usually a very difficult stretch for nursing, especially at night, many moms on here will tell you that. :hugheart Have you used the NCSS at all?

MarynMunchkins
09-11-2009, 06:55 PM
Will he fall asleep if you just hold him crying? That's not the end of the world if you're at the end of your rope. :hug2

MarynMunchkins
09-11-2009, 06:58 PM
Will he fall asleep if you just hold him crying? That's not the end of the world if you're at the end of your rope. :hug2

Emerald Orchid
09-11-2009, 06:59 PM
Your ds is 9-10 months? This is usually a very difficult stretch for nursing, especially at night, many moms on here will tell you that. :hugheart Have you used the NCSS at all?

WI Mama05
09-11-2009, 07:01 PM
I'm in the same place. I've nursed M back down 5 times in the last 2.5 hrs and she is nursing a LOT at night, but she's got four more teeth making their way in.

I SWORE this one would take a paci, but even as a tiny babe would not take one. At.all. Third fake-nipple-hater. It's crazy and frustrating.

I was just gonna post tonight to ask people to remind me that this doesn't last forever, cuz it sure feels like it.

:hugheart

justTrish
09-11-2009, 07:29 PM
same thing going on here. wish i had a magic answer for all of us.:hugheart

Niphredil
09-11-2009, 07:58 PM
Man, what is it with non sleeping kids right now? I've seen a bunch of posts and my on two are not sleeping for anything. :banghead

:hugheart:hugheart I'm so sorry mama. It is so very very frustrating. :hugheart

mountainash
09-11-2009, 11:25 PM
This sounds sooo much like my Livy at 10mos. It was exhausting. Eventually I realized that she slept better on her own mattress next to our bed. She's just way too light of a sleeper and even the most careful tossing and turning would wake her completely and cause her to want to nurse back to sleep. She's 2.5 now and she's taken over our upstairs bedroom because she sleeps too lightly to have a main-floor bedroom.

Keep trying the "fathering to sleep" thing. I didn't think Livy would ever tolerate daddy putting her to bed, but now she prefers it. It's like she feels relieved not to be thinking about nursing when she's trying to get to sleep.

ArmsOfLove
09-11-2009, 11:42 PM
this is a huge age for teething :hugheart Remember that he's not doing it to get to you--so if he's doing it he must be as frustrated as you are :hugheart I would give something for teething pain and try putting baby in sling in the evening so that you can still have a life :hug

mamacat
09-12-2009, 04:32 AM
None of my babies would ever take a paci for comfort or for very long otherwise.It does sound like there are other issues involved.Have you tried white noise of some kind where he sleeps?That really helps some kids a lot.My grand daughter always had to have it. When she was a really wakeful infant,the 1st night they tried it she slept for a 5 hr stretch and gradually worked up to longer stretches of sleep.It also sounds like he kind of waits to go into a deeper sleep until you are there beside him - like he wakes up every hour - wants to have you there & nurses briefly to reassure himself that you are & dozes again.

Psyche
09-12-2009, 05:01 AM
Oh, yeah! I live in a college dorm so we have a ton of white noise. Both bedrooms have something noisy running.

The terrible thing (not really terrible) is that jon sleeps best in DH's my bed if neither of us are there. I've tried softening up his mattress but evidently it wasn't enough. I need to brave Walmart and get an egg crate since the memory foam isn't cutting it.

The other issue is he sleeps best on his belly and if I put him down in anything other than deep sleep, he'll immediately sit up if I put him his belly. Its bizarre to see what you think is a dead asleep baby sit up and wake himself up. And I'm seriously tempted to find a way to give him liquid cal/mag.

mamacat
09-12-2009, 05:26 AM
Hmmm can you sidecar a bed for him? Like wedge a twin sized in btween wall & your bed with same kind of egg crate on there? My son & his wife did this for their son & they found at least it gives them all more room to shift around and you know when my oldest was an infant you were SUPPOSED to sleep a baby on their tummys.If he sleeps best that way I would let him He is right there with you & its not like he is a newborn who cant move away if something blocks his breathing etc.

TuneMyHeart
09-12-2009, 06:38 AM
Its bizarre to see what you think is a dead asleep baby sit up and wake himself up.

AK does the same thing! :hunh It's infurating when I think she's asleep, lay her down, then she sits straight up. :doh

:hugheart I put AK to bed yesterday, and had to nurse her back down 3 times in the next hour. She's cutting two teeth, and I can see two big more big, swollen spots in her bottom gums. She's absolutely miserable right now, and making all of us miserable too.

I tried to give both of mine a pacifier. Neither took it more than a few times. :-/

:hugheart :hugheart :hugheart

Oh, and yesterday the longest AK went without nursing was 15 minutes. I also have teeth indentations all over me; nursing hurts so much. I thought I was going to pull my hair out.

14yrslater
09-12-2009, 10:20 PM
I'm in the same boat people! I guess its the age!

ArmsOfLove
09-12-2009, 10:37 PM
The other issue is he sleeps best on his belly and if I put him down in anything other than deep sleep, he'll immediately sit up if I put him his belly.so why not put him on his belly :shrug3 It's not like babies can't breath when on their bellies. Especially if they are the age where they can roll over I don't even worry about how they sleep. I'm guessing in dorm housing you're pretty right there so check him every so often and just make sure he's comfortable :) As long as a baby isn't sleeping smush faced into the mattress or a big puffy pillow I really don't worry about it :shrug3

Blue-EyedLady
09-12-2009, 11:42 PM
Oh, I am SOOOOOO there with you! I posted on your other thread as well...

La Loba
09-13-2009, 12:40 AM
I totally and completely understand-- J is 2.25 YEARS old and just in the last couple weeks has FINALLY only started waking 2-3 times a night. Between 6 months and 24 months it was literally every hour-- 10-14 wakes a night. Just AWFUL. Serious mama torture.

Big hugs and prayers for strength to you.

Psyche
09-13-2009, 05:20 AM
so why not put him on his belly :shrug3 It's not like babies can't breath when on their bellies. Especially if they are the age where they can roll over I don't even worry about how they sleep. I'm guessing in dorm housing you're pretty right there so check him every so often and just make sure he's comfortable :) As long as a baby isn't sleeping smush faced into the mattress or a big puffy pillow I really don't worry about it :shrug3

Oh, I do try to. But if he is not in a deep sleep, he'll wake himself right up by pushing himself into a sitting position. It'll appear that he IS in a deep sleep, I go to put him down and he's pushing himself into a sitting position, whereas if I put him on is side, I can hold his hands down to keep him from waking himself up.

ArmsOfLove
09-13-2009, 01:43 PM
do you lay down with him and nurse him to sleep? It's always been easier for me to move away from a child then to lay them down.

Psyche
09-13-2009, 01:53 PM
do you lay down with him and nurse him to sleep? It's always been easier for me to move away from a child then to lay them down.

No. That worked with DS1 but DS2 kicks his legs, pulls away, etc. I have to sit in just such a way and restrain him from playing with his feet. :giggle

ArmsOfLove
09-13-2009, 01:57 PM
:)

during those stages one thing I found very helpful was nursing down in a sling until they are just asleep and then laying down with the sling on me and getting them settled and then unlatching (if they were still nursing or had relatched) and then taking the sling off but keeping them wrapped in it. Then I could move away slowly taking my hand off one finger at a time until I could walk away.

It wasn't always fast, but if I rushed it it took longer ;) The alternative made it worth it :)

TuneMyHeart
09-13-2009, 06:15 PM
No. That worked with DS1 but DS2 kicks his legs, pulls away, etc. I have to sit in just such a way and restrain him from playing with his feet. :giggle

OK, are these babies secretly related? I have to do the same with AK. I sit down in the recliner and use my arms and hands to keep her still. She's obsessed with playing with her toes, especially while nursing. She's such a wiggle worm and constantly strokes me while eating. :lol

hopeforchange
09-13-2009, 06:22 PM
that all sounds normal to me. :shrug3 dd was over a year old before i tried to get her to sleep at night without me (before i came to bed). before then, it was a losing battle that just made me frustrated. so i just parked myself on the couch at night, in front of the TV, with dd latched on until i was ready to go to bed. :shrug3

even once she was over a year old, it took a while of running back to nurse her every 15 minutes or so on the bed, before she would sleep longer periods of time. i think some kids just have a higher sucking need than others...plus the age that he's at is one that is normally difficult afa sleeping goes.

WI Mama05
09-14-2009, 05:22 AM
ITU about keeping them from playing. If I'm rocking DD3 to sleep I have to hold her pretty tightly to get her to STOP and stay stil and fall asleep. Nursing her down on the bed means I really have to snuggle her up to me and throw my leg over her lower half and hold her from behind with my hand firmly to keep her still so she will fall asleep. I can typically sneak away for awhile, but I *do* end up nursing her back down many times, though not having to play the *lay* her back down game every time helps my mind some.

:hughheart this is a very intense age for sleep IMO

gracious
09-14-2009, 05:49 PM
I'm experiencing the same thing with my almost two year old....it's dramatic.
Most days I do okay.

I find making sure you have your shirt pulled down at night helps out, so the nipple isn't right there...so inviting!

Then when my little one sits up--then searches; pulls; grabs--I have been either praying for her or singing to her to calm her down, and help her lie down, slowly it's working. slowly.