PDA

View Full Version : Teaching high schoolers?

Sunshine
09-01-2009, 12:31 PM
It feels like starting all over again. So what are your struggles right now? We are mainly dealing feelings of being overwhelmed. I tell myself it's just a feeling. So much to consider right now with transcripts, credits, testing and college. All is going smoothly so no complaints here.:cool

TestifyToLove
09-01-2009, 12:40 PM
I'm actually not there yet. Until last month, I thougt I would be there in 2 years until I was introduced to the term NCAA eligibility. My 7th grader is now gearing up to start public high school at 9th grade. Two years of planning lost.

He's not happy with me. He really doesn't want to go to high school and wanted to homeschool. But the burden of meeting NCAA eligibility as a homeschooler is nearly impossible. Whereas the likelihood that he can make collegiate sports is much more likely than my ability to record keep to the point that I can prove that eligibility,

But, I'm holding onto everything I've worked on for him. There is no doubt in my mind that my 5 and 4 graders will homeschool for high school. Mostly, I'm just cooling my jets now. I was SO excited about high school homeschool once I figured out what we were going to do. Its been a bit of a let-down at this point. But,I need to keep his needs first and I am no where near the kind of record-keeper NCAA asks you to be.

Sunshine
09-01-2009, 03:20 PM
Awww, sad to hear your disappointment, it sounds like you have come to terms with it all. What about a virtual academy? At least he'd be home where he wants to be and the academy keeps all of the records under their umbrella.

TestifyToLove
09-01-2009, 03:31 PM
Yeah, I don't think we would do well with VA options. I lean towards eclectic and unschooling.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \