PDA

View Full Version : Hospital Onsie

Paige
08-19-2009, 07:04 AM
This is a onsie that a friend gave me as a hand-me-down. The back has the name of a local hospital. :-/
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3663/3468837941_60314bf973_m.jpg

DaltonsMomma
08-19-2009, 07:07 AM
I just took an infant safety and CPR class at our local hospital. It was all I could do to keep my mouth shut when they got to the "ABC's of safe sleep" portion. Just because they dress it up with cute little blocks doesn't make it good advice.

Paige
08-19-2009, 07:40 AM
I just want to ask them, "what other animal in all the world is this true for?" A baby animal alone, trapped in a cage, is going to die.:shrug3

Honestly I don't care if people want to crib their babies but I think offering safe co-sleeping tips would improve overall outcomes.

NewLeaf
08-19-2009, 07:48 AM
:crazy2

I hate that they site deaths and injuries in regards to cosleeping without offering the full info. Most cases safe cosleeping practices weren't being followed.

I just saw a crib on TV recalled because 10 infants had died in it... before they decided to recall it! They don't tell you anything about that!

Blue Aurora
08-19-2009, 07:50 AM
We had that in our hospital room where dd was born.... I threw it away :shifty

Johns_Gal
08-19-2009, 08:02 AM
I will never understand how the medical world thinks there is only one universal plan that fits all infants.

It's like a creepy assembly line. Remember the Monty Python sketch about birth? Not really far from the truth.

That, and... that just kinda makes me cry to think of some newborn sleeping all by themselves. I had every intention of Jesse sleeping sidecarred, but I couldn't put him down. When I *made* myself, he looked so tiny and helpless neither DH nor I could go through with it, and all the awful "what ifs" were running through my head. I scooped him up, threw a "just for this first night home" at DH, and dove under the blankets. Little one slept up high between our heads, me holding a tiny foot and daddy's hand on his belly.

Mmhmm. That first night home apparently never ended.

Paige
08-19-2009, 08:03 AM
:crazy2

I hate that they site deaths and injuries in regards to cosleeping without offering the full info. Most cases safe cosleeping practices weren't being followed.

I just saw a crib on TV recalled because 10 infants had died in it... before they decided to recall it! They don't tell you anything about that!
Right, and because many people eventually bed share occassionally even if they didn't plan to we would benefit from teaching how to do it safely, right?

To me, this is like vaccines. They are so invested in being right that they won't even talk about the other side. (oh yeah, and both have $$ industries behind them!)

Johns_Gal
08-19-2009, 08:10 AM
Right, and because many people eventually bed share occassionally even if they didn't plan to we would benefit from teaching how to do it safely, right?

To me, this is like vaccines. They are so invested in being right that they won't even talk about the other side. (oh yeah, and both have $$ industries behind them!)

No joke. And all the "The other side is the devil!" propaganda. Drunk woman passed out sleeping on couch with baby. Sweet baby looking up at crib mobile and then "X amount of babies die from pertussis each year. Vaccinate yourself and your children... protect the babies!"

Never anything USEFUL. Nothing about the importance of rear facing, or even just using a darned carseat (a skill far above many folks down here, it seems). Nothing about the truth of circumcision, nothing about infant nutrition beyond "start that rice ceral at four months, everyone!"

God forbid people should actually want chidlren to groow up safe, happy, and healthy. Nope. Feed the machine.

:shifty

Pardon me. I get a bit... passionate about this sort of one size fits all, who cares how many babies it hurts/kills long as we have our way crud.

Yuliana
08-19-2009, 09:02 AM
:-/

Niphredil
08-19-2009, 09:12 AM
:shiver

I picked up a new hospital flier at the WIC BFing fair telling moms to be that the safest place for baby to sleep is in it's own bed, but with in arms distance of mom & dads bed. I was stoked to read that! :tu

aleigh
08-19-2009, 10:46 AM
Never anything USEFUL. Nothing about the importance of rear facing, or even just using a darned carseat (a skill far above many folks down here, it seems). Nothing about the truth of circumcision, nothing about infant nutrition beyond "start that rice ceral at four months, everyone!"

I know you were ranting, but not all docs or hospitals are like this. At both of my deliveries we had to sign papers about the importance of car seats being RF & after the birth of my daughter you had to sign off if you didn't want you car seat inspected. I had no problems waving the HEP vax after she was born, with my son my doc told me that circumcision was not necessary & my ped told me not to start my daughter on solids until at least 6 months. He also talks to us about car seats every well-child visit.

relizabeth
08-19-2009, 10:53 AM
My doc also almost discouraged us from circumcising and told us how his adopted son wasn't circumcised. And we had to sign papers about car seats and RF. I know there's a lot of ignorance out there though. :)

Sign Of The Fish Burger
08-24-2009, 07:45 PM
There is a huge billboard like that here in town. I cringe everytime I pass it.

Littledisciples
08-24-2009, 08:08 PM
I had no idea about that rule when my oldest DD was born. I slept with her in my arms at the Birthing Center hospital in my bed. Well the nurse said she didn't mind but I had to sign a waiver. :giggle I signed it and we slept together since. Anyway I think its dumb to hand that stuff out. Maybe you should get a laundry pen and mark by the Alone and Put NOT :giggle Probably get a few questions but hey.:P~

abh5e8
08-29-2009, 08:55 PM
both of my children slept in my bed the entire time we were at the hospital...no one said a word about it to us. of course, then they didnt' want to let us go home because we didn't have a bucket seat...the nurse did not believe that a convertable type seat was legal for a newborn. ah well...we all need more edu

TrinMama
08-29-2009, 09:06 PM
There is a huge billboard like that here in town. I cringe everytime I pass it.

There are similar ones here, too.

both of my children slept in my bed the entire time we were at the hospital...no one said a word about it to us. of course, then they didnt' want to let us go home because we didn't have a bucket seat...the nurse did not believe that a convertable type seat was legal for a newborn. ah well...we all need more edu

The only baby I did sleep with in the hospital, I got away with it by having the TV on all night. I gave the appearance of being awake every time the nurse stopped by. :shifty The other two...well, one was our first, and she just slept in the bassinet or at the nurse's station. But I'd been up for 40 some hours and really needed to sleep. The other was #3, and he's never liked sleeping next to me. :shrug3 Not even that first night.

Anyway, you're right. More education, especially on doing things safely, would be so great.

yellowheart
08-29-2009, 09:38 PM
When I was in the hospital with DD....the nurse came in and said that she was now required to come in and encourage moms not to have the babes sleep in arms while there. Apparently a couple of weeks before I had DD a baby fell out of its moms arms and onto the floor!! Not good.

I kept her in-arms anyway b/c she wouldn't sleep otherwise and I wasn't about to let her sleep in the nursery.

Littledisciples
08-30-2009, 06:35 AM

Really then what happened did they just let you take baby home in the convertable. :shifty

Granola_mom
08-30-2009, 07:08 AM
For me the shirt says.... :-/

But for some I definetly think it's true, and needed. Like a young (18 and 19 yr old) couple I know. They just had a baby about a month ago. The baby was born at 34 weeks, the doc sent the baby home with them right away, (no extended stay)
They brought the baby over at a week old. They told Dh and I that they are co-sleeping, the dad went on to say that he woke up one night and a pillow was over the head of the baby.... :jawdrop:jawdrop:jawdrop
He said he must've done that in the night because she was crying. :sick

I think that shirt should've gone home with them at the hospital!!