PDA

View Full Version : easiest sure way to kill yeast in CD's?

~yogamom~
08-12-2009, 07:13 AM
My DD2 (6 mo old) has a yeast rash and is currently in sposies until it clears. What should I treat her CD's with so she doesn't get re-infected? My typical wash routine involves a vineagr rinse, oxyclean and mountain green.

They are clean now, but should I re-wash or do something else to them before I put her back in them? She reacts to TTO, so I don't want to add that to the wash, but I don't want to use belach either. Are those my only two choices?

Eesti
08-12-2009, 07:24 AM
You can also use grape-fruit seed extract but there was an article on here how it is evil. LOL.

TuneMyHeart
08-12-2009, 06:13 PM
Can you hang them outside in the sun?

DoulaClara
08-12-2009, 06:46 PM
What types of CD do you have? If it's natural fibers (CPFs, IPFs, something like Tiny Tush contours or ME One Size), I would go ahead and boil them after stripping (I firmly believe that soap and other buildup can trap bacteria and yeast). Give them a stripping wash, boil a big pot (I used my pressure cooker, but without the pressure lid) of water, and give the diapers a good solid 5-10 minutes of a boil. Be safe around the kiddos, and make sure they are somewhere far away from the boiling water. I lined a laundry basket with bath towels and when they were done, I pulled them out individually with tongs, pressed them up to a metal spatula to squeeze excess water from them, and tossed them into the basket. When all were boiled, I brought the whole steaming pile of them to the washer and threw them in for a final rinse and spin.

~yogamom~
08-12-2009, 07:09 PM
oh, boiling sounds like it would do the trick but I have pockets-- BG 3.0s and Haute Pockets. Some snaps, some velcro. Could I boil the microfiber inserts?

I do sub-dry my diapers. Do you think that is enough?

I am reluctant to use GSE after reading the reports about it.

Should I just go ahead and use some bleach? :-/

Barefoot Bookworm
08-12-2009, 07:21 PM
We just boiled them and hung them in the sun. Nothing else worked and I think they are FINALLY fixed!

~yogamom~
08-12-2009, 07:21 PM
We just boiled them and hung them in the sun. Nothing else worked and I think they are FINALLY fixed!

do you have pockets?

DoulaClara
08-12-2009, 07:28 PM
I wouldn't boil anything with PUL (and I've never tried boiling anything with Velcro or Aplix, but the snaps on the Tiny Tush and ME OS were fine). I would boil the microfiber inserts. :yes About the BGs and HPs... no idea. I have some BG 2.0 that I want to strip, but I'm not really sure how I'm going to go about it (I really depend on boiling to do a good job! I could sit there with Dawn and a toothbrush, but if I had that kind of time, I'd probably be doing something else! :P~)

Barefoot Bookworm
08-12-2009, 08:10 PM
I do have pockets, we use BumGenius 3.0s, the one-size diapers. They were just fine being boiled and it honestly was the only thing that worked. We tried stripping with Dawn, we tried tea tree oil, we tried OxyClean, we tried bleach even... nothing else worked to get the yeast out and we fought it for oh, 3-4 months?

DoulaClara
08-13-2009, 05:20 AM
:think Ooooh, you successfully boiled BGs... I think I might go ahead and try that. I probably won't use them again for Gianna (she seems to react to the microsuede) but I'd rather put them away stripped!

~yogamom~
08-20-2009, 07:23 AM
I just added a ton of GSE to the wash cycle, so we'll see how that works. :nails

If it doesn't, how do you boil BG 3.0's? Use tongs to put one in and take it out of a stock pot one at a time?

Naked Camper
08-20-2009, 07:41 AM
I have boiled pockets before, but as a last resort. Yeast HATES sun. Sunning should help.

AFA stripping with dawn, I use a bottle brush, goes pretty quickly