PDA

View Full Version : gDiapers?

canadiyank
08-03-2009, 10:47 AM
So, I bought a "starter kit" in sz. S the other day at Whole Foods (we don't have one nearby, I was visiting my best friend). My motivation was to use them when we were out and about, in place of disposables. We CD at home but I typically use sposies at night and when out. Also, I liked the idea that they can be composted, since I'm somewhat of a compost nerd (I have four active composts going on :lol).

How do people like these? I would likely only use the disposable inserts (vs. the cloth ones) since I already have cloth I like. The gDiapers seem overly complicated, with having to put the inserts into the plastic thingy, then take them out when used, tear the insert, etc. etc. I suppose it is still "better" than using a disposable but right now there doesn't seem to be much advantage to me over using cloth. :think

knitlove
08-05-2009, 07:16 AM
we just used them for a week long trip. They were good for the trip. I didn't find them too complicated. I didn't take out the plastic liner out unless poop got on them. So most of the time I was pulling out the wet insert and then using a new insert in the same liner/diaper before it goes back in the diaper bag. I still carried a wet bag to use for the dirty liners and for when poop got on covers or clothes ( this as mostly happening during the change, and I was getting better as the week went on)

Yuliana
08-05-2009, 07:19 AM
I did not like them, too much work. I much prefer cloth.

scottishthistle
08-05-2009, 07:32 AM
I like them but you seem to need them already 'set-up' for diaper changes

TrinMama
08-05-2009, 07:46 AM
I never liked the disposable inserts. :no But I do like them with prefolds in them, and I plan to try the cloth inserts soon, too. They are easier when pre-assembled, like a pocket, IMO.

KCMartha
08-05-2009, 08:49 AM
I never liked the disposable inserts. :no But I do like them with prefolds in them, and I plan to try the cloth inserts soon, too. They are easier when pre-assembled, like a pocket, IMO.

TrinMama, what size prefolds do you put in?

TrinMama
08-05-2009, 09:00 AM
TrinMama, what size prefolds do you put in?

I've used the nb size, I think. The size with the dark green edge? It works well for all the g's, for us. In the small g's, I fold it in thirds, then fold one of the short ends a little to make it short enough to fit the liner. For mediums and larges, it fits nicely just folded in thirds. I've also used larger prefolds, folded in thirds and then with some of folded over again...it can create some extra bulk, but I have only done that extra fold for when we're home.

Calliope
08-05-2009, 09:43 AM
I think their only advantage is that they are green. Otherwise, they are more work and less convenient than cloth or sposies.

Ima LeShalosh
08-05-2009, 10:09 AM
I love them...I am saving to buy the cloth inserts. The system is so much easier IMO.

canadiyank
08-05-2009, 01:21 PM
I love them...I am saving to buy the cloth inserts. The system is so much easier IMO.

Using the cloth inserts is easier?

TrinMama
08-05-2009, 01:26 PM
Using the cloth inserts is easier?

With the insert, you just have to lay one in the liner and the put on the diaper. Seems like it'd be easier than a prefold in a cover. :shrug3 I haven't tried the cloth yet...also saving for it. ;)

Ima LeShalosh
08-05-2009, 01:30 PM
Using the cloth inserts is easier?oh no...I mean the gDipe system is easier. We cloth during the day and only use gDipes for night time. DD is allergic to her own urine, so she can't be in a cloth dipe overnight or her skin will be burnt and blistered. I love being able to flush the dipe in the morning and if she happens to poo in it, it is so much easier to flush it all instead of rinsing...blah. If they were not so expensive, I would use them exclusively.

Blueberrybabies
08-05-2009, 02:20 PM
We bought some disposable inserts to use to boost G's disposable diaper overnight on vacation. Since there are lots left, I've been using them for E when out and about. I just put them in wool covers that I have, that I normally use trifolded pfs in. It would probably work with PUL covers too.

ECingMama
08-05-2009, 02:24 PM
I used the code posted on here to buy the everday set (?) for all three sizes. :) I also ordered a set for a missionary friend of mine. Thanks for sharing your code! I hope you won big!

I'm planning to bring them on a trip next week. She's "done" with EC, but she JUST finished, so I'm nervous about not taking any diapers with me!

The cloth diaper inserts from www.clothdiaper.com (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/www.clothdiaper.com) fit in the gdiapers. It's $5.95 for a package of six. :D I am a change with every pee from birth til potty training completion, so I want the smallest amount of cloth that will hold the 2-4 ounces of urine that under 2s pee.

They are also selling organic doublers that would probably fit very well too. $4.95 for one organic cotton doubler.

Calliope
08-05-2009, 02:49 PM
oh no...I mean the gDipe system is easier. We cloth during the day and only use gDipes for night time. DD is allergic to her own urine, so she can't be in a cloth dipe overnight or her skin will be burnt and blistered.

:think That's interesting. I found that the inserts couldn't hold a big nighttime pee and that they stayed sort of 'wet' feeling. The only diaper rash R ever got was from a road trip where he sat in a wet g-dipe too long.

allisonintx
08-05-2009, 02:51 PM
proving once again that every baby is different! :D

Serafine
08-05-2009, 03:28 PM
AAAAh WHAT CODE???? I have been trying to find a deal on small gdipes...is it still good? Can you share it with me? Pretty please?

I used the code posted on here to buy the everday set (?) for all three sizes. :) I also ordered a set for a missionary friend of mine. Thanks for sharing your code! I hope you won big!

I'm planning to bring them on a trip next week. She's "done" with EC, but she JUST finished, so I'm nervous about not taking any diapers with me!

The cloth diaper inserts from www.clothdiaper.com (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/www.clothdiaper.com) fit in the gdiapers. It's $5.95 for a package of six. :D I am a change with every pee from birth til potty training completion, so I want the smallest amount of cloth that will hold the 2-4 ounces of urine that under 2s pee.

They are also selling organic doublers that would probably fit very well too. $4.95 for one organic cotton doubler.

Ima LeShalosh
08-05-2009, 03:50 PM
AAAAh WHAT CODE???? I have been trying to find a deal on small gdipes...is it still good? Can you share it with me? Pretty please?
Here is a site that has a bunch of codes http://www.boddit.com/coupons/gdiapers.com

Sculpturegirl
08-05-2009, 07:30 PM
I'm still deciding which diaper I like best... We have the gdiaper system. I agree that you have to have the diaper pre-set up. Srushti is so small, though that the diaper doesn't fit snuggly. We're doing EC, so we catch most pees and about 1/2 the poops. ( I don't get why she'll pee in the potty and right when I put a new diaper on, she poops.:shrug3 Then I'll take it off and she'll finish in the potty.)

In some ways, it is easier than cloth with a cover, but you have to have some prepped before hand.

TrinMama
08-06-2009, 04:59 AM
In some ways, it is easier than cloth with a cover, but you have to have some prepped before hand.

:yes For me, it's like prepping a pocket first.

LittleSweetPeas
08-07-2009, 02:07 PM
i thought they were more of a pain then cloth and mine leaked all the time. i dont even have what i consider to be a heavy wetter. expensive too.

Codi
08-07-2009, 05:44 PM
:cup

I just bought a starter kit for dd with the goal in mind to completely switch to the cloth inserts.

They worked horribly with ds, always leaking...

But so far with dd, I :love them!