PDA

View Full Version : I am SO tired of nighttime leaks! Help!

iheartsam
08-02-2009, 11:27 AM
I know, I know - another thread on nighttime leaks. I read the other threads and want whoever has a minute to help me figure out the REAL problem here!

I have a 16 mo. old. He is a major thrasher at night. We co-sleep (he used to be in the bed with us but he's so tall he just got too big for our bed. He's on a crib mattress next to the bed now. He still nurses at night a couple of times. He will sleep on his belly, on his side, and on his back. Sometimes even with his bum up in the air! That really makes for a leaky dipe - right up over the front!

Now, about the dipes. I have 3 BG 3.0's, 3 FB size L, and 1 HH size L. I had been using an overnight pull-up (we ec so he's dry during the day most days so he's used to "undies") for a couple of months because we have been traveling. I had one issue in 2 months with sposies. I have been back in cloth for one week and have had 2 leaks! (I had been struggling with leak issues before we started using the pull-ups and now we're back. I don't know why I thought it would be different!) I stuff with 2 infant sized pf's. After reading some other posts, it seems like it could be my stuffing is insufficient BUT I am trying to stick with natural materials because I had such stink problems. My dipes are better than they were (thanks to bac-out) but they're still not totally un-smelly. I had no trouble keeping my pf's clean. I LOVE wool but I haven't found that it keeps him from leaking. I would love to use wool so if you have a heavy wetter and use wool, please share your routine!

He actually holds it pretty much all night and floods sometime in the early a.m. I try to actually take him if I have my wits about me and hear him rustling about but sometimes I do not! So needless to say I need some help keeping my sheets and ds dry.

I would appreciate hearing from other moms nighttime diapering toddlers, especially if you are using wool but all ideas are welcome!

And would love to hear if anyone has tried zorb for pocket diaper inserts? Is it easy to keep clean?

TIA

magnolia
08-02-2009, 08:22 PM
I don't have any input but I have the SAME problem with my ds (15 months)so I'm interested to see what others say. My only remedy thus far is to change him in the night...which I HATE doing cause I'm tired! LAtely he's been dry when I go to change him at night so I take him to the potty and he goes. THe problem with that is that then he fully wakes up and takes FoREVER to go back to sleep.

Please, let the advice flow!

cobluegirl
08-03-2009, 07:10 AM
we used sposies for night time...

2sunshines
08-03-2009, 10:18 AM
am I reading your OP right that you've just tried pockets at night? I know a lot of people who get leaks from pockets if their baby isn't a back sleeper. My fave nighttime diapering system was always prefolds doubled up with a wool cover.

milkdud
08-03-2009, 10:26 AM
Both of mine peed such an insane amt, there was no diapering system that would contain it. We ended up using sposies, with add'l disposable doublers inside.

iheartsam
08-03-2009, 06:44 PM
2Sunshines,

Yes, I've only tried pockets at night. I tried wool a looooong time ago, so long ago that I can't even remember what I put under it! I have an aristocrats sz S that actually has stretched out and still fits though it is snug. But I don't know if that will affect it's waterproof-ness. Which wool cover do you use? And what PF's? I only have infant size ones right now so if I try PF's should I get premium size or another? I know on greenmountain they have A LOT of different sizes. Are all PF's created equal? Or is there a brand or retailer that has the most absorbent? Thanks!

2sunshines
08-04-2009, 07:14 PM
my favourite prefolds are from www.greenmountaindiapers.com or www.little-lions.com

You can go with premiums if you want. I prefer the intermediate sizes that both of the above places offer just cause they give you the needed width but not the huge rise that premiums have and are usually overkill for most average sized babies. Your infants will come in handy though to trifold and put inside the other prefold for added absorbency. That's what I always did for the nighttime.

BeckaBlue
08-04-2009, 07:23 PM
I only have consistent success w/ prefolds under wool, anything else i almost ALWAYS get leaks. I double up a regular pf (4x6x4) with an infant prefold (4x8x4) and put her (sz s, at her being nearly 30lbs) aristocrat on and we never have a leak. sometimes i'll use a premium pf (4x8x4)w/ the infant but it doesn't make enough difference to matter
fitteds are a *might* works, but that's rare, pockets ALWAYS ALWAYS leak for her at night (she's a side sleeper)

Katigre
08-04-2009, 07:34 PM
I have not found pockets to work well for night-time, especially with heavy wetters (no matter how much they're stuffed!).

Here is what we do that is bulletproof - we never have leaks with this combo:

1. Premium prefold - infant will not be absorbent enough for a heavy wetting toddler, not even two together.
2. Two thick hemp doublers
3. Thirsties cover

Yuliana
08-05-2009, 07:16 AM
Double up or triple. I have used everything at night, AIO, pockets, prefolds and covers, the only thing is that I add an extra insert or two. If it is an AIO then I add an insert that does not have microfiver on the outside since it shouldn't be near the baby's skin.

RosalieMarie
08-05-2009, 07:24 AM
We can't use wool at night, compression leaks every time, no matter what. He just pees straight out like a hose. :giggle

Prefolds wouldn't work for us, he doesn't sleep well if he can feel wet.

What worked for us for a long time was a Happy Hempy pocket fitted stuffed with a ton of hemp inserts, under a Thirsties cover. It would still be working, but because I stuff them so much, he could feel the outside of the fitted against his thighs somehow, and he can't handle wetness at. all. at night.

Now, we're back to regular pockets.. I'm triple stuffing a fleece lined pocket with fleece binding on the legs from My Precious Baby by April. No leaks, and he's sleeping great because he can't feel a thing! :phew

Zipporah
08-05-2009, 08:10 AM
Woollen interlock with bamboo works well for us. We us sugar peas-spendy but good.

Pockets always leak

:nak

2sunshines
08-05-2009, 08:17 AM
fwiw, if you are interested in trying prefolds at night but are worried about the wetness factor, you can always lay a layer of fleece on the inside to keep baby feeling dry. :yes

RosalieMarie
08-05-2009, 08:26 AM
That doesn't work *at all* here. :giggle I'd have to wrap the prefold entirely in fleece. Then it still would bunch and shift. I rather save myself the trouble. :shifty

2sunshines
08-05-2009, 09:06 AM
That doesn't work *at all* here. :giggle I'd have to wrap the prefold entirely in fleece. Then it still would bunch and shift. I rather save myself the trouble. :shifty

Yea, it doesn't necessarily work for everyone. Just throwing it out as an option for the OP. :yes

toastedsalmon
08-06-2009, 06:05 AM
subbing, bbl