PDA

View Full Version : New to EC, Squeamish about Cloth

Sculpturegirl
08-01-2009, 10:08 AM
Much to our surprise, little Srushti took to the potty really fast! She will pee when I pee, but she poops in her diaper. I can tell when she is pooping because she gets that look on her face and I change her before she sits in it. We've caught a couple of poops. I basically take her to the potty when I go, which is often. Poops are unpredictable, though. How do you know when she needs to go? She grew up in India and we don't have a potty word yet.

We have been usings clorine-free, unscented, "natural" disposables. I tried the G-diaper one day, but when she pooped I was dry heaving. It was pungent! If it had been a cloth diaper, I would've been so sick :sick I thought I'd be tougher skinned than that, but smells really get me.

Do I just get over it? We have a stash of cloth diapers. Srushti seemed more comfy in the G-diaper, as she's always pulling at the edges of the 'sposie. She's so small that keeping a diaper on is hard, too.

Blue Savannah
08-01-2009, 10:24 AM
Going from no diapers to 2-year-old poop? I would totally do sposies. :bag I am wondering too, though, if she's had a pretty marked difference in her diet if that would make the poos even more stinky than usual?

Abibigail
08-01-2009, 10:27 AM
I'd definitely do disposables, too, at least until you get used to toddler poop. It's no joke! :sick You might be able to switch to all EC or cloth later, when you get more accustomed to it, but for now I'd definitely be diapering with sposies.

Sculpturegirl
08-01-2009, 10:35 AM
Her poo has been pretty puree-like rather than the healthy "turd" style. I don't know how else to say it :shrug3 At least the color is good. She's had a HUGE life transition and a diet shift, though we do eat some of the same foods she's used to: bananas, milk, rice, lentils, and coconut water.

I never thought the day would come when I'd be talking about POOP! LOL I feel initiated into a secret society. ;)

Thanks for making me feel better about 'sposies. I have this crunchy image to maintain, you know! LOL!

Rabbit
08-01-2009, 10:36 AM
I would stick with disposables because it doesn't sound like she's going to be in them for long, and it definitely easier with a toddler.

If you do go to cloth, get poop liners. They look like dryer sheets. Pee goes right through. Poop doesn't, and you can just drop the liner in the trash, no scraping or spraying.

Her poop may be horrific because it's full of pungent spices, and she's adapting to new foods. Her tummy is not in full health right now, even though she isn't sick.

TestifyToLove
08-01-2009, 07:59 PM
You need to keep her in sposies until you get her dewormed. Be VERY careful handling her poop and sanitize your hands throughly. And, if you get stomach cramps, get meds for you immediately.

It would be better if her doctor would just treat her without lab testing. But, if the doctor insists upon testing, skip the stool samples, they are a waste of time for long-term parasitic infections. You need a CBC (complete blood count) with differential. You are specifically looking for a high level of Esonophilic while blood cells.

Ch's orphanage treated all the kids for parasites every 6 months. But, the parasites just come back in the tropics. Your desciption of the consistency and smell of her poop is not normal toddler. Its a parasitic response.

We got A treated within 72 hours of homecoming but I was distracted with Ch's medical issues and delayed 2 weeks, Everyone in the house was writhing in pain except DH who wisely snatched the Cipro the doctor had given us for travel at the first symptom.

14yrslater
08-03-2009, 08:52 PM
According to my Indian friends - babies and toddlers in India don't use diapers at all. Their parents do EC right from birth. In fact - my friends were surprised that we use diapers here and that we have strollers! Do you know if your lo's caretakers used diapers for her or did they EC?

Tengokujin
08-03-2009, 09:42 PM
She is still jet lagged too. That does a number on digestion too, especially predictability.

TestifyToLove
08-04-2009, 08:04 AM
Indian orphanages use cloth diapers. I've never heard of one that didn't. To not in orphanges has resulted more than once in rotovirus bouts that decimated the population of the infant room of the orphanges.

newday
08-04-2009, 08:21 AM
i love cloth dipes but i would soooo be doing paper diapers in your situation. toddler poop can put any one off of cloth!

ec has so much to do with the communication, not where she potties as just the two of you understanding it. i would make the sound, word or gesture every time you know she has gone, or needs to and then when she sits on the potty. no praise necessary, she will be so happy communicating with you and being understood

FaithHopeLove
08-04-2009, 10:39 PM
You might also want to put her on probiotics to help with general health, consistency and smell of poops, and so on.

If antibiotics are used to combat parasites, you might want to alternate the times you give the probiotic to help with the diarrhea that might result from the atbx.

Congrats on entering the secret realm of the poop talking mamas! :heart