PDA

View Full Version : ABeCeDarian

NCmom
07-22-2009, 01:51 PM
We've just started reading with ABeCeDarian. It's a type of phonographix approach. Anyone had success with this?

Bonnie
07-22-2009, 02:04 PM
I've not heard of that one, nor of the approach. I'll have to google that. :)

Leslie
07-22-2009, 06:45 PM
That's the name of a chapter in one of Charlotte Mason's books - is it based on the CM method?

NCmom
07-22-2009, 07:12 PM
That's the name of a chapter in one of Charlotte Mason's books - is it based on the CM method?

I'm not very familiar with Charlotte Mason, so I don't know if it is similar to any of her methods. Here is a link to the reading program.
http://www.abcdrp.com/
You can buy workbooks, reading books, and scripted lessons to use as a curriculum if you'd like.

So far I really like the approach because it is a phonographix approach. You associate the letter more with it's sound and less with its "letter name". If I pointed at the letter "A", I would ask, "What sound does this represent?" or "What sound is this?" I would not want him to respond by saying, "A". I would want him to say the sound /a/. Letter names are used sometimes, but there is far less emphasis on them. I decided to use this method when my son started saying things like, "'W' says 'duh'" or "'C' says 'ssss'". We also had problems with him looking at a word, and instead of sounding it out, saying- "V! V is for Violin!" That's great and all, but the word we were looking at was NOT violin. Technically 'V' is not "for" violin. The letter v is a graphic representation of the sound /v/. I know that this is not a problem for some children to understand, but for others, it can be a huge stumbling block.

The only thing I don't really like about the program so far is that the writing workbook is designed to go along with the reading units. This is great in theory- especially if your child has no problems with fine motor skills. I think it is a great reinforcer if your child can keep up with the writing portion. However, my son is weak in fine motor, and he finds the writing pages discouraging because we are supposed to complete them before moving to the next reading unit. I have decided to just move along as fast as he wants in the reading books and we can plug away slowly at the writing book. That is the beauty of homeschooling. I also cut out some of the repetitive excersizes in the reading book once I am sure he knows the lesson already. Also, sometimes I use the script and sometimes I don't. I like having it there, but I don't feel like I have to stick to it.

Leslie
07-23-2009, 07:14 AM
We've used Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy lessons, and it also has a writing portion at the end of every lesson. We've usually just skipped it - I mean, the program was to teach my kids to read, I have something else I use to teach writing.

I've heard of the concept of teaching letter sounds instead of letter names. I think it makes a lot of sense.

knitlove
07-23-2009, 12:50 PM
after googeling that it seams amazing. I had never heard of phonographix approach but being dyslexic it seams great, I can't really help you but one of the things I read talked about the book Reading Reflex (http://www.amazon.com/Reading-Reflex-Foolproof-Phono-Graphix-Teaching/dp/0684853671/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1242436855&sr=1-1) as a teaching guide with out a work book.

NCmom
07-23-2009, 02:37 PM
I bought Reading Reflex first, actually. I really liked it, and we started some pre-reading excersizes from it that were very helpful. I can't remember WHY, but I do know that I did further research and decided that I liked the ABeCeDarian program for teaching purposes. I read some online reviews, and that seemed to be the general consensus. Here is an opinion from Teachers.net
http://teachers.net/mentors/remedial_reading/topic2438/7.01.08.07.43.58.html

racheepoo
07-24-2009, 04:39 AM
Darian is my son's name! I don't think I've ever seen it anywhere so I just had to comment :giggle

(I pronounce it with a long a btw)