PDA

View Full Version : SIDs and CIO is there a connection?

AngelaVA
07-21-2009, 11:30 AM
I am just wondering if anyone has ever seen any research connecting SIDs and CIO, it is kind of implied in the statements about co-sleeping countries not seeing SIDS but obviously just because you dont' co-sleep doesn't mean you do CIO.

Cat
07-21-2009, 11:33 AM
I've only seen info connecting lower SIDS rates with co-sleeping, something about babies regulating breathing based on being near mothers' breathing, etc.

nurturinglovely
07-21-2009, 07:10 PM
Dr. Sears and the ezzo info site have info on this it think..... i believe it's panic induced, sometimes a matter of hyperventilating or vomiting-choking. ... i think that's what i heard/read - but don't quote me on it. ;)

Firebird Rising
07-21-2009, 11:30 PM
Interesting question so I'm :bump

Jen D.

IslandHome
07-21-2009, 11:56 PM
There's some interesting studies being done by Dr James McKenna - Dr Sears refers to him in his books.

Here is a link: http://www.nd.edu/ ~jmckenn1/lab/

Don't know if that's what you're after! It doesn't seem to be about CIO specifically, but more the benefits of co-sleeping.

Six Little Feet
07-22-2009, 07:49 AM
I heard of moms who where holding their baby in their arms when SIDS occurred. :cry I know there are AP moms who never let their babies CIO who lost their babies to this horrible thing. IMO SIDS does not have a just a single cause. If it did I am sure they would of found it by know.

JessicaTX
07-22-2009, 07:57 AM
We have a member here who lost her baby to sids while co-sleeping. Maybe it can contribute, but i'm positive it is not the cause.

IslandHome
07-22-2009, 04:40 PM
I also wonder whether saying SIDS doesn't occur in the countries where co-sleeping is common would really be a true statement anyway.
In those countries there is sadly often a high infant mortality rate due to other reasons. I doubt whether they would even keep records of "SIDS" deaths.

Apparently in bible times a baby was said to be 'laid on' if they died during the night, even though it is likely they were SIDS deaths.

Paige
07-27-2009, 05:43 PM
I also wonder whether saying SIDS doesn't occur in the countries where co-sleeping is common would really be a true statement anyway.
In those countries there is sadly often a high infant mortality rate due to other reasons. I doubt whether they would even keep records of "SIDS" deaths.

Apparently in bible times a baby was said to be 'laid on' if they died during the night, even though it is likely they were SIDS deaths.

Good point. Also in some countries infanticide is woefully common and often attributed to overlying. For example (but not just in India): http://www.csmonitor.com/2005/0209/p11s01-wosc.html

Psyche
07-27-2009, 05:47 PM
Someone posted this for me on another board and it would really explain alot, if its true. All the correlations that have been "proven" to be related to or prevent SIDs could be explicable.

http://www.healthychild. com/toxic-sleep/has-the-cause-of-crib-death-sids-been-found/