PDA

View Full Version : How do you move kids to their own beds?

Leslie_JJKs_mom
07-14-2009, 05:15 PM
We co sleep but Jessica has a bed in our room. I put her in it but she never stays in it. Every morning I wake up with her next to me. We are thinking of the transition into her own room once my requirements for more smoke alarms and alarms on the windows are met. How do I do that?

kandykidsaturn
07-14-2009, 06:45 PM
:popcorn

:bump

NovelMama
07-14-2009, 06:48 PM
Hm....if that were my situation, I wouldn't consider it until she was sleeping in her own bed the whole night. Have you ever asked her why she comes into your bed? Is she lonely? Cold? I would work on helping her make it through the whole night, and if she's resistant to that, I definitely wouldn't try moving her to a new room.

KatieMae
07-14-2009, 07:11 PM
How old is she?

Leslie_JJKs_mom
07-14-2009, 09:08 PM
She is 4. I do not think she would know why she gets in my bed since I do not think she is totally awake. She crawls in and is asleep again in an instant.

Bonnie
07-14-2009, 09:12 PM
I'd go ahead and move her, with the understanding that it would be okay for her to join you in the night when she needs to. Each of ours has started out that way, and they just gradually cease coming in. It gets later and later until finally they meet us at the door as we're getting up one morning. :giggle Ours have been quite a bit younger, but when our bed's gotten too crowded (I'm not comfortable with more than one wee one in our bed with a newborn, so that forced the timing) I've spent several weeks snuggling down with them in their room on their bed. It's why my then-14mo went straight to a twin mattress on the floor instead of a crib/toddler bed mattress. :)

BHope
07-14-2009, 09:50 PM
My eldest would wake in the middle of the night and wander back to bed with me. I ended up having to make the choice to either allow it, or to get up and direct her wandering back to her own bed. For us, it took consistency.

(We also moved my eldest in with my middle daughter and got them bunkbeds with DD1 on top. She does less wandering now, and stays put.)