PDA

View Full Version : Co-sleeping for 5 years

ReedleBeetle
07-14-2009, 08:16 AM
This is a neat news article on co-sleeping for the first 5 years.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article1083020.ece

ReedleBeetle
07-14-2009, 01:23 PM
Bumping so people see this :-)

liamum
07-14-2009, 01:27 PM
Oh I am emailing DH a link to this. We are still co-sleeping, but now that Liam is 5.5, we are going to begin the transition to his own room.

zak
07-14-2009, 01:30 PM
Wow!! VERY cool! I love the "science" behind her work. Amazing!!!

Blue-EyedLady
07-14-2009, 01:54 PM
I love that someone is publishing research about this!

One thing the article doesn't address is the part where parents end up sleeping in separate rooms with mom being exhausted. I'm not exhausted, now that I no longer WOH FT, but DH does sleep on the couch most nights. :shifty

kandykidsaturn
07-14-2009, 02:24 PM
Jeeze, FINALLY a scientist comes out with a study that mothers have known since the beginning of time!! :woohoo

AngelaVA
07-14-2009, 03:57 PM
I like it, I think the end part about SIDS should've been emphasized more than tired mothers though. I put it on my Face Book.

Elora
07-14-2009, 04:46 PM
I like it, I think the end part about SIDS should've been emphasized more than tired mothers though. I put it on my Face Book.:yes

illinoismommy
07-14-2009, 04:55 PM
One thing the article doesn't address is the part where parents end up sleeping in separate rooms with mom being exhausted.

That was the very first thing that occurred to me, specifically the mom being exhausted but having a guilt trip over the high standards placed at her.

And I thought the SIDS stuff is also known as "fear mongering" and why would we want more of that?

ReedleBeetle
07-14-2009, 05:09 PM
I think one thing about the sids stuff that really bugs me is that they act like kids don't die of sids when talking about co-sleeping (against it)...they never compare rates. I know *several* kids that ahve died of sids, personally. I do not personally know a single baby that has died from co-sleeping. I am not saying it doesn't happen, but it is odd to me that I know so many babies that have died of sids without any from co-sleeping. I was less exhausted while co-sleeping compared to when I was trying to get him to sleep somewhere else. :shrug3

Snugglebugmom
07-14-2009, 05:21 PM
I was less exhausted while co-sleeping compared to when I was trying to get him to sleep somewhere else. :shrug3

:yes I agree!
One thing though... This article states that it is from 2006, is that correct or am I seeing things? Not that it changes anything about the truth of the research, or the importance of it of course!

ReedleBeetle
07-14-2009, 05:33 PM
It might be, I was posting it as something that just came out, just as something I had just read. :giggle

illinoismommy
07-14-2009, 05:42 PM
I don't know anyone with a child that has died of either. I am super paranoid about it though, I always do back to sleep at any cost to my own sleep and if they nap or sleep too long I check if they are breathing :O even with room sharing. But I don't think this article is really about SIDS and the way it tacked that onto the end was clearly a fear mongering attempt.

HomeWithMyBabies
07-14-2009, 06:08 PM
This is going on my Facebook too! :) :giggle

Snugglebugmom
07-14-2009, 07:19 PM
I am a little tempted to send this link to my inlaws... Just a little, I won't because that would be petty. But it is heartwarming to read something that shows the benefits of sleep-sharing, and it would definitely counter their "what if you crush her in your sleep?" type questions. :giggle

14yrslater
07-16-2009, 10:43 PM
I only know of one case of SIDS and the funny thing is that the baby wasn't being put to sleep! What happened was the mom put the baby on a breastfeeding pillow for tummy time!

sweetpeasmommy
07-16-2009, 10:59 PM
:tu I posted it on FB too.