PDA

View Full Version : Cloth Swim Diaper Suggestions

shirelingmum
07-11-2009, 01:28 PM
Okay ladies! Need your suggestions on cloth swim diaper options! I've looked at some online-but I want to know your opinions/what you liked best if you used one, etc.^_^ thanks! Oh! and how many we'll need! we're going to Kah-Nee-Ta Resort for 4 days and will be swimming off and on most of the day:cool..
So it might also be helpful to know about how many you used...or how many you'd suggest I get. Resources are limited...and I CAN make my own if that is indeed cheaper-I just need to know how it's really "waterproof" and a good pattern? Anyhow! Thank you! :D

BeckaBlue
07-11-2009, 01:38 PM
anything w/ a waterproof outer and a layer of something grabby (fleece,suede,cotton...) is fine for swim dipes
pul can get messed up w/ chlorine, so i use nylon outered or a pul dipe i dont care about.
target has swim dipes for $6, which work great
swim dipes will not hold in pee, even the sposie types wont, but they need to hold poo
id say at least 3 for the 4 days. you cn just air dry between uses

Sweet Life
07-11-2009, 01:41 PM
anything w/ a waterproof outer and a layer of something grabby (fleece,suede,cotton...) is fine for swim dipes
pul can get messed up w/ chlorine, so i use nylon outered or a pul dipe i dont care about.
swim dipes will not hold in pee, even the sposie types wont, but they need to hold poo
id say at least 3 for the 4 days. you cn just air dry between uses

:yes That.

JellyBean
07-11-2009, 01:41 PM
I just use my regular cloths! The main reason disposables need a swim and a regular is because the regulars absorb too much and they become a huge giant disaster when put in the pool and their swim diapers don't absorb water (or pee), they just hold the poop. So since regular cloths don't blow up when wet I just use my regular cloths. I didn't know that about chlorine though so if your going to be using them in pools often I'd be careful but I'd think just for a few days wouldn't hurt them too bad as long as you rinse them immediately afterwards. :shrug3

shirelingmum
07-11-2009, 01:56 PM

So a waterproof outer (like a plastic cover?) but not PUL. And the swim diapers @ target are sposies, right? I use gdipes with a cloth insert...used that the other day when he was in a wading pool with his buddy ethan...so I am thinking something like an Imse Vimse Swim Diaper (http://www.softclothbunz.com/Imse-Vimse-Swim-Diaper_p_93.html) or a Bummis (http://www.softclothbunz.com/Bummis-Swim-Diaper_p_284.html) swim dipe. What do you gals think?:think
Oh! And thanks for the suggestions so far:D

---------- Post added at 01:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:55 PM ----------

Oh-and it seems like it wouldn't be too expensive to just buy 3 of these little guys up (imse vimse or bummies)...

Sweet Life
07-11-2009, 01:58 PM
So a waterproof outer (like a plastic cover?) but not PUL. And the swim diapers @ target are sposies, right? I use gdipes with a cloth insert...used that the other day when he was in a wading pool with his buddy ethan...so I am thinking something like an Imse Vimse Swim Diaper (http://www.softclothbunz.com/Imse-Vimse-Swim-Diaper_p_93.html) or a Bummis (http://www.softclothbunz.com/Bummis-Swim-Diaper_p_284.html) swim dipe. What do you gals think?:think
Oh! And thanks for the suggestions so far:D

---------- Post added at 01:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:55 PM ----------

Oh-and it seems like it wouldn't be too expensive to just buy 3 of these little guys up (imse vimse or bummies)...

No, the swim dipes at target are cloth; for lack of a better term they are 'all in one'. :) I wouldn't use my regular cloth in the pool; the chlorine, even if only for a few days, will break them down. And since they aren't made for being immersed in water, they tend to sag after a while in the water - causing both a potential leakage issue and putting more stress on the elastic.

shirelingmum
07-11-2009, 02:01 PM
No, the swim dipes at target are cloth; for lack of a better term they are 'all in one'. :)

NO WAY!:D $6 bucks for a cloth swim dipe?! WOW! okay. do you have a linkie or something??:D:clap

Sweet Life
07-11-2009, 02:03 PM
This link shows an entire swim otufit, but Target does sell the individual cloth swim dipers too:

http://www.target.com/Newborn-Infant-Toddler-iPlay-Collection/dp/B0024JGXWO/192-8110702-1746210?ie=UTF8&search-alias=tgt-index&frombrowse=0&pricerange=&index=target&field-browse=1038590&rh=k%3Aswim&page=1

Click the little diaper and you can see that it's cloth, and pretty cute. They make both boy and girl prints of course. :heart We love them, I wouldn't pay twice as much for the other ones you linked to, jmo.

Sorry for the ugly link, I need to figure out how to do that right.

JellyBean
07-11-2009, 02:15 PM
:twin

I've also found them at consignment stores for a dollar or two if you have one close by. I also wouldn't pay 13-14 dollars for a swim diap personally.

Rabbit
07-11-2009, 02:19 PM
We get the Target ones, too. I buy them on clearance at the end of the summer, for next year's size. (The size range is huge.) And they survive to hand down. So, I usually pay $3-$4.

We've done fine with just one swim diaper, even when swimming once every day. They wash with the swim suits. So, however many suits you need, I'd take that many diapers +1 as a spare, in case it does actually catch some poop.

hopeforchange
07-11-2009, 04:24 PM
We get the Target ones, too. I buy them on clearance at the end of the summer, for next year's size. (The size range is huge.) And they survive to hand down. So, I usually pay $3-$4.

We've done fine with just one swim diaper, even when swimming once every day. They wash with the swim suits. So, however many suits you need, I'd take that many diapers +1 as a spare, in case it does actually catch some poop.

yep, me too. we've always used target swim diapers, even when dd was in sposies for regular diapers, b/c i refuse to pay for sposie swim diapers. plus, they look uncomfortable.

i also have found mine on great sales at the end of the season and i love to get the matching shirt tops...they're great for sun protection. when we went to hawaii for 5 days, i had 2 for dd, and that worked fine. :)

twomonkeysmama
07-11-2009, 04:28 PM
We use these.
http://www.gabbys.net/zencart/testimonials.php
I got 2 when dds1 was 3 months but they dry SO quick I really only needed one. I got them cheaper than on this website, but I can't remember where.
It gives a good argument for using them.
My only concern is (still) they are designed to hold solids and let the liquids filter through - which is fine, but I'm exclusively BF and the "solids" are liquid so to speak - so how does that work? I've been lucky so far, no bm in any swimmming excursion, but I can't count on it! Any thoughts?

BeckaBlue
07-11-2009, 05:44 PM
jo pood while ebf a few times, it stayed contained no problem. ebfp is runny but it has enough solidness to stay in as long as changed quickly

sprout
07-11-2009, 05:51 PM
I have a bummis swim. love it.

twomonkeysmama
07-11-2009, 07:28 PM
Thanks for the BFP reassurances!

shirelingmum
07-11-2009, 11:29 PM
Thank you ladies!!!! What awesome suggestions! I will DEFINITELY be taking a trip to Target soon:yes....when we have some moolah:rockon

aleigh
07-12-2009, 06:23 PM
I second (or third, or fourth!) the Target swim diapers. I got those for my son & have been able to use them 3 years later for my daughter. And, you should be fine with just one. Just rinse/wash it like you do the suit after swimming.

Radosny Matka
07-12-2009, 07:20 PM
I just used a fuzzi bunz with no liner.

mipennsn
07-14-2009, 05:00 PM
I second (or third, or fourth!) the Target swim diapers. I got those for my son & have been able to use them 3 years later for my daughter. And, you should be fine with just one. Just rinse/wash it like you do the suit after swimming.

I just went and looked at mine. I also have ones from Target. Newborn/small one is going strong on baby #3. Mediums I can still squeeze my 3 year old in, though I really should get new ones since he is 10 lbs over the weight range, but he doesn't complain about how tight they are.

Target cloth swim diapers are the way to go.