PDA

View Full Version : Midnight snacks

Little Forest
07-11-2009, 08:38 AM
I will try to keep this concise...

It started when my first girl was a toddler just getting weaned. I felt as if I had to chase her around the house to drink milk just to get her to take maybe 2 150 mL cups a day. But she would be a little thirsty at night, so my option was to give her a drink then and put her back to sleep or have her howl and nobody get sleep, so I always chose the drink. Then it became chocolate or strawberry Quick.

Then when she was 2, I will never forget the first time she ever used the word hungry, in the middle of the night, "I'm hungry" once when she was recovering from being a little bit sick. So, that started snacks of yogurt or toast. And then her younger sister would join in this routine on occasion. Again, the option was, have their protests wake the whole family and have to deal with more, or just take care of them in the kitchen. I always felt like a sucker.

My husband always said that neither of our parents would have done this and neither would anyone else that we know.

Has anyone else BTDT? I am really curious.

Now that the older two are 5 and 3, we have a solution that seems to work now. We now leave out rice cakes and water which they can help themselves to in the middle of the night. The day before starting this, at a neutral, happy time we made it clear now that big girls can help themselves, but there will be no cocoa or other food offered until morning. The first couple days, my 3 year old came to me saying she was hungry and could she go get a rice cake. I think the novelty since has worn off. But if they really ever are hungry or thirsty, they can take care of themselves.

DaltonsMomma
07-11-2009, 09:00 AM
That sounds like a great solution. You've ended the problem of having to get up and fix them something. If they are really hungry or thirsty they can help themselves to the rice cakes and water. If not, they won't be waking up just for the "special midnight treat".

My DS has always been allowed to have water and cheerios whenever he feels the need (day or night). It satisifies him if he has a real need, but is boring enough to keep him from overusing it.

tigerlily
07-11-2009, 10:08 AM
We keep cereal bars and water by my 2 yo dd's bed. She wakes and often will only go to sleep after a snack. I don't let her leave her room and I feed her in the dark. Usually, just a bite or two with satisfy her with a big drink.

Most important is keeping the stimulation of getting up/moving around/lights as little as possible.:yes

Little Forest
07-12-2009, 07:01 AM
Oh, it took us just too long to get here! I guess better late than never.