PDA

View Full Version : How to clean rotten, stinky 2nd hand diapers

milkdud
07-10-2009, 10:27 AM
Someone gave me a bunch of large FB, which I am really, really thankful for. :heart However, they smell AWFUL. Like I left them in my car overnight and now my car smell makes me want to vomit. It's a mix of stinky dog, urine and just funk. :sick

I have a feeling just washing them won't be enough. I have Bac Out. Would that be good enough to just soak them overnight in it? Then maybe sunning them afterwards?

Blueberrybabies
07-10-2009, 11:35 AM
Can you get some RLR? I got mine at my local Pathmark, in the laundry aisle. Add it to the wash, then rinse until you don't see any more bubbles.

Quiteria
07-10-2009, 11:37 AM
Blech. I'd do the Bac-Out overnight for a start since that eats a lot of organic funk and smells good, and then maybe a soak in OxyClean to disinfect them just in case the Bac-Out left anybody else's diaper bacteria intact...

milkdud
07-10-2009, 11:38 AM
I can't find RLR anywhere locally. Is there anything comparable to it?

Rabbit
07-10-2009, 11:48 AM
Boiling water and Dawn go a long way.

Quiteria
07-10-2009, 12:17 PM
I can't find RLR anywhere locally. Is there anything comparable to it?

I think it might just be water softener...in which case I'd try Calgon. Calgon is scented (don't know about RLR), but surprizingly it does not seem to have bothered us...which is RARE for us...it makes me sick just to smell my neighbor's laundry fragrance through the dryer vent.:sick

2sunshines
07-10-2009, 02:22 PM
since you have bac-out on hand (I think) that would be my first step. :yes

sprout
07-10-2009, 05:19 PM
Our diapers were super stinky. I washed them all with baking soda and hung them out in the bright full sun for one full day. They smell wonderful now.

milkdud
07-14-2009, 06:47 PM
I soaked them overnight in Bac Out and washed with soapnuts. They smell lovely. :tu

Thanks for the help! :heart