PDA

View Full Version : How to maintain pocket diapers?

14yrslater
07-09-2009, 11:30 PM
I just got a bunch of pocket diapers made by a WAHM. I've been warned by friends that pockets diapers will repel water in time if you don't maintain them properly. I also use cloth wipes with a solution of water, almond oil, tea tree oil, and lavender oil. Do you think its safe to wash these cloth wipes with the pocket diapers? I just want to prevent buildup.

Granola_mom
07-10-2009, 12:52 AM
I personally wouldn't wash them together, mainly because of the almond oil in the wipes. I would think that any kind of oil isn't good for the PUL in the pocket dipe.
Occasionally stripping them would be a good thing to do, if you do decide to wash together.
Just once a week or every two, wash them in 1-2 TBSP of Dawn dish soap instead of your laundry detergent, make sure to rinse a few times. Good as new. And check into this, drying once in a while on a high heat cycle in the dryer also can help reseal the PUL layer.

Happygrl
07-10-2009, 01:36 AM
The wipe solution I use includes oil (olive or almond are what I usually use), I was wipes and diapers together and I've never had a problem with repelling with any type of diaper including pockets, AIOs and pocket AIOs. :shrug3

twomonkeysmama
07-10-2009, 09:34 AM
At the risk of diverting this thread a bit, I've had to strip my fuzzi bunz a couple of times over the last couple of years - but I just ran several hot cycles with no soap. What I'm wondering is has anyone tried the Dawn in a HE frontloader - I'm just wondering how much to use from an over foaming perspective?
Thanks

14yrslater
07-10-2009, 04:19 PM
Great question about the Dawn in a front loader! I'm using a front loader too and over sudsing is always an issue.

Happygrl
07-10-2009, 04:24 PM
I've read plenty of people doing it, they just use even less. Its 1-2 T. of the regular (non-concentrated Dawn) and I've read people using about 1/3 of that (so 1-2 t.).

14yrslater
07-12-2009, 09:19 PM
What detergent are you using for your pocket diapers?

Happygrl
07-12-2009, 09:39 PM
I don't use pockets anymore, I use fitteds, pocket AIOs and prefolds. I usually use a free & clear from Costco. I've also used Wisk, a homemade powdered detergent (grated soap, borax & washing soda), Country Save, Cheer, straight grated ivory soap and Purex. Whatever I have on hand. :giggle