PDA

View Full Version : yet another help me help my toddler sleep thread

filmgirl2911
06-23-2009, 06:47 AM
Okay, I've gone back through the sticky on this topic and *still* need some help, advice, input, wisdom (one or all would be helpful :smile). To start, I have a question on this post in the sticky:

ArmsOfLove wrote:
I announce, "Time to be asleep" and help in however I need to. It may mean holding him securely for a few nights while he tries to play, etc. I would hold him and remind him gently that "It's time to go to sleep."

How old is a child to whom you talk to about time to go to sleep and hold her securely? How does that work, specifically - as in, for how long might you hold her? Do you ever abandon the secure holding and try again in 15-20 minutes if she refuses to "give in" to sleep?

I talk to my toddlers and teach them how to realize they are tired. "I see you doing . . . and that is your body telling you you are tired." As they are going to sleep I explain, "You can't make yourself go to sleep. You need to lay still and stop your body, close your eyes, stop your mouth, breath deeply, let your body go to sleep." While I'm talking I gently touch each part of their body that I'm speaking about and/or gently stroke areas I see them holding tension (hands, forehead, arm). Sometimes my children respond to me singing to them, sometimes I have to lay quietly with them. I try different things until they settle--but not going to sleep isn't an option.

Same question - how old is the toddler to whom you are referring? How, specifically do you teach a toddler to lay still and stop her body from squirming and thrashing? How long (approximately, because I realize that *all* toddlers are different) might it take in days / weeks for a toddler to get this concept?

I watch my toddler for her tired cues, and when the are there, I begin either the nap or bedtime (and we have tried to create a consistent timeframe around these times, but they are not exact because I try to let her tell me when she is ready). But almost without fail, when we get into the bedroom and begin nursing down, she gets a second wind - she gets chatty, she gets thrashy - her feet / legs are in constant motion (which drives me *crazy*), and will roll around.

I'm at a loss. I have been where her sleep is concerned for much of her life (she is now 16 months and sleeps *no* better than when she was a newborn). She wakes up All. Night. Long. And I am as sleep deprived now as I was as a new mom (still a new mom, but she's not "new" anymore). Am I missing something?

Please. Please. How can I help her???

by the way, yes, she is teething - we give her Hyland's tablets throughout the day, she has an amber necklace, and we give her Tylenol at night. I am going to that sticky next, but am *still* at a loss about her sleep because she sleeps like this when NOT teething, too.

The Tickle Momster
06-23-2009, 07:36 AM
:hug I am right there with you. :yawn No answers, just subbing for ideas. :hug

swimming with sharks
06-23-2009, 07:42 AM
we used Crystal's stop your body, stop your mouth, etc. But BOTH of my kids wiggle until they fall asleep. DD was a miserable sleeper. Do you know if your dd has any food allergies/sensitivities? We noticed a big reduction in sleep issues when we finally dx'd dd's food issue. It seems though you might be waiting too long to start the routine...how long does the routine take? you might need to start it a little earlier so you're seeing the rubbing eyes as you're getting to the nurse to sleep part. :hugheart :heart

filmgirl2911
06-23-2009, 09:40 AM
we used Crystal's stop your body, stop your mouth, etc. But BOTH of my kids wiggle until they fall asleep. DD was a miserable sleeper. Do you know if your dd has any food allergies/sensitivities? We noticed a big reduction in sleep issues when we finally dx'd dd's food issue. It seems though you might be waiting too long to start the routine...how long does the routine take? you might need to start it a little earlier so you're seeing the rubbing eyes as you're getting to the nurse to sleep part. :hugheart :heart

We've never been able to determine any food allergies / sensitivities :shrug3 I did an elimination diet several months ago and that seemed to have little / no effect - we don't have food issues on either side of the family to speak of, so I'm not sure if that is something we should try to pursue more :scratch

The routine is pretty simple. We do PJs and toothbrushing early on (usually after dinner) so that she is "ready to go" when bedtime comes. We read a couple of books to help her wind down and anticipate that she will need to be in the bed by seven. Maybe we need to change something, but, again, I have no idea what :shrug3

I would love to think that she might sleep better long before she is four or more. But I'm starting to think it will *never* come . . .

filmgirl2911
06-23-2009, 09:44 AM
Oh - and I have a question about Cal/Mag (and yes, I've been through both stickies on the subject) - can someone just tell me a brand to look for that hits the basics? Where do you buy Bluebonnet products, b/c I cannot figure that out. I've also looked for the Origin brand at Target online and did not see what the folks in the sticky said they were using. I'd like to get some like yesterday, but I cannot seem to figure out how to get all of the "best" - the 3:1 ratio, the Calcium citrate, with the Vit. D and zinc (to help with absorption, a decent price. I'll take them together, I'll take them separately, I just want one or two brand recommendations and where to get them. I do not have a Whole Foods nearby.

The Tickle Momster
06-23-2009, 02:13 PM
kids cal/mag? I get mine at SuperSupplements, orange flavored chewables. Adult is Trace Minerals, also purchased at SuperSupplements, pina colada liquid.

14yrslater
06-26-2009, 08:50 AM
With my dd I used to play a game with her. We used to play 'who will stay still the longest' game in the bed. That usually worked!

nurturinglovely
07-06-2009, 07:39 PM
I was reading your routine - and, i am glad you are trying to respect your daughter's ability to tell you when she is tired. But the whole sleep thing is a 2 way road of communication. crystal suggest *ways* to get them to sleep because they aren't great at figuring it out. ;) You are right in that you should be trying when she is tired. BUT starting when she is in the middle of being tired means that by the time to go from-quite possibly- active play to sleep, you have had to maybe read a book, change a diaper, sing a song and nurse etc... If she *generally* wakes up (has a pattern) around the same time and *generally* takes a nap at the same time (again, simply a pattern) then, what you REALLY need to be looking for is the pre-tired signs. If she shows tired signs at noon, then noon is about when she wants to BE asleep. So, feed lunch/snack by 11. So, that, by 11:30, you head to a room to change a diaper, nurse, read some books and then practice 'being still'.... you'll be practicing being still as she enters her weary time. :)

**also - something to simply think about....it's TOTALLY your call, cause you know best, but you may want to teach her to fall asleep without nursing. Not as a sleep association, but as an awake association. All day, she gets to nurse and play and be awake. But by 16 months old.... she falls asleep about twice a day? She spends more time 'nursing to wake' if you will, than she does 'nursing to sleep'.

Whatever the case, i hth, and really hope you get some rest.

OH - and make sure you are praying over her constantly.... and over yourself, of course. :)

---------- Post added at 02:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:39 AM ----------

also - some sort of omega blend with DHA helps HUGE in this home!!