PDA

View Full Version : Can I ask my 7y/o (almost 8) to help w/night waking 13 mo?

The Tickle Momster
06-16-2009, 10:00 AM
She loves to put him down for naps, is good at resettling him when he wakes too early at naptime. I am so tempted to have her sleep with him for a few hours at night. :shifty Am I crazy?

The last couple of nights Toby has woken up every hour. :yawn

Six Little Feet
06-16-2009, 10:37 AM
I would not ask my 8 year old daughter. :hug2 I think it outside of their skill level.

ArmsOfLove
06-16-2009, 10:43 AM
she needs her sleep too :heart Maybe engage her more for help during the day when you're tired from being up all night :hug

The Tickle Momster
06-16-2009, 10:48 AM
she needs her sleep too :heart Maybe engage her more for help during the day when you're tired from being up all night :hug

I had the same thought, about her needing sleep too. We all need sleep. Dh has been parenting the 3 oldrs at night so I can sleep while Toby does. Trouble is,, now I am so used to waking up, I have a hard time sleeping more than 90 minutes or so.

We keep saying that dh willl take the wakings before midnight or so. haven't done it yet. We're going on a trip the last weekend of this month. Should we start before or after?

MidnightCafe
06-16-2009, 10:49 AM
I wouldn't do it. Mane is 7, and if she doesn't get enough sleep she gets really grumpy.

If, however, you think the baby will be less likely to wake if sleeping with the 7yr old, then I think it's ok for them to sleep together.

ArmsOfLove
06-16-2009, 10:49 AM
forget about the timing of the trip--do what you need to do now to make it :) on the trip he may sleep worse . . . or better. Our children sleep great when we travel :shrug3 :)

and you might try some melatonin for yourself if you're waking even when he's asleep. you sound overexhausted :(

The Tickle Momster
06-16-2009, 10:50 AM
I am definitely overexhausted. Been over a year without sleeping more than 2 hours at a stretch.

MidnightCafe
06-16-2009, 11:01 AM
I am definitely overexhausted. Been over a year without sleeping more than 2 hours at a stretch.

:hugheart I went through some years like that, too. It's so tough.

MarynMunchkins
06-16-2009, 11:19 AM
I would do it. :yes

Banana and Cutie Pie started sleeping together in the same bed about the same time. They share a room now. :)

DahliaRW
06-17-2009, 10:39 AM
If your 8yo wants to, let them try sleeping together and see if it helps. I'd still get up with the LO wakes up (your 8yo might sleep right through it anyways!), but having a warm body there might help your youngest sleep longer stretches.

My first didn't sleep through the night until close to 2 1/2 in his own bed. His younger brother who now sleeps with him (starting at 1 1/2 years), started sleeping through the night consistently by 19 months.

The Tickle Momster
06-17-2009, 10:42 AM
forget about the timing of the trip--do what you need to do now to make it :) on the trip he may sleep worse . . . or better. Our children sleep great when we travel :shrug3 :)

and you might try some melatonin for yourself if you're waking even when he's asleep. you sound overexhausted :(

How much melatonin?

Quietspirit
06-17-2009, 02:19 PM
I wouldn't. She's still a child and needs her sleep. :hugheart

Elora
06-17-2009, 02:24 PM
i would try it as long as the 8 yr old wants to :shrug3

I wouldn't ask her to do it if she didn't want to.

My nephew and ds sleep together on weekends and at first we thought ds wasn't waking up...but then we found out that nephew was "patting him" back to sleep. He was very proud to do this. Granted, it's not every night, but it's very special to him.

The Tickle Momster
06-17-2009, 03:13 PM
I'm not going to do it. A definitely needs her sleep. :yes2 I'm gonna get dh to sleep in another room w/Toby until 1 or 2 AM.

Quietspirit
06-17-2009, 06:27 PM
Why is Toby waking so often? I'm new to the boards so perhaps it's already been brainstormed with you. :O

The Tickle Momster
06-17-2009, 08:22 PM
I have no idea why he wakes so often. :sadno Just not moving through the light sleep stages well. :shrug2

It might be he is not tolerating solids but he doesn't get many (his choice, I offer them.)

I am so close to taking all of us off dairy. I don't wanna give up my cream in my coffee though. :hissyfit

It could be teeth. It could be tummy ache. Even though he is #4, I have no idea. :/ I'd love some ideas on how to figure out the problem so we can solve it.

Elora
06-17-2009, 08:42 PM
DS was 26 months before he would sleep more than a couple few hours without waking. I tried EverYTHING. Some babies just wake up. Not to stop you from brainstorming, but sometimes acceptance is the only way to sleep deprived sanity ;)