PDA

View Full Version : suddenly becoming a bed hog

LadybugSam
06-15-2009, 01:40 PM
We've co-slept with Caleb since he was an itty bitty thing and never really had an issue. About4 years ago it was getting a bit crowded but we added a sidecar and it was fine. 2 years ago we moved and got a bigger bed, but he slept in his own bed most the night.

Caleb is 5 1/2, btw.

Well he started sleeping in his own bed about 80% of the time and things were good for a while, but then (and i don't know what changed, only that something did) he decided to come to our bed in the middle of the night again. He doesn't even wake us up when he comes (because i used to go sleep with him in his bed when he woke up crying) but now that he's back in our bed every single night, he has absolutely no bed sharing manners at all. He sleeps sideways in our bed so that even our California king size bed is WAY too small. He insists on touching us, so its not an issue of room, more of where he decides he wants to be. and if he is uncomfortable he shoves at me with his feet. If he gets hot he kicks the blankets off all of us, if i try to pull them back up on me, he gets mad and growls and pulls at the covers. He sleeps upside down in the bed and kicks at my face. This morning i got kicked really hard in a rather private area and i snapped at him and told him that if he wasn't going to be nice he couldn't sleep with mommy and daddy anymore and he got mad and got up and went to his room to watch his DVD

Sometimes i can pick him up and move him to a better position and he will stay there, but lately it only lasts for a minute before he wiggles and kicks to get himself comfortable again.

so i don't know what to do. We wouldn't mind him in our bed if it wasn't for the terrible behavior that only recently started. I wouldn't mind if he was in his own bed all night either. Honestly whatever is easier and will work the quickest is what i'm after :giggle

any advice?

Apple-Saucy
06-15-2009, 01:50 PM
What I would do is as soon as I notice him in the bed, take him back to his own bed and tell him that because he kicked or wasn't nice he has to stay in his own bed. :shrug3

aburrows
06-15-2009, 02:41 PM
My DS was the same way, I ended up putting him in a crib next to my bed with the side off, then when he weaned I put him in my room but in his own crib. He started sleeping in there and sleeping better actually. And now he's in his bed and in his room...I miss having him in my bed but then we take a nap together and I remember why he's not :) Our relationship is still very strong...I'm sleeping better as well :) Good Luck!

KatieMae
06-15-2009, 02:47 PM
What I would do is as soon as I notice him in the bed, take him back to his own bed

That's my suggestion as well... not that I'm good at actually DOING it :O but I think it's the best option in this scenario. You ALL deserve a good night's sleep :yes

hey mommy
06-15-2009, 03:13 PM
C is the exact same way. We actually stopped co-sleeping b/c of this though. Now when he crawls into bed w/us I'll let him stay for a little while, but if I can't get comfy or he's just being crazy and moving too much, I'll have dh take him back to bed. He'll even move in his sleep sometimes which really drives me nuts.

LadybugSam
06-17-2009, 04:05 PM
yeah i think i'll have to do that. I talked to hubby and he is all for the "no tolerance for shenanigans" policy but i'm not exactly sure where to draw the line. Last night he was not kicking or pushing but he did seem to be attempting to meld into the left side of my body and no matter where i moved he would follow me and squish himself along the side of my body. it wasn't a lot of trouble, just mildly annoying, and i'm not sure if i should nip that in the bud too or if i should just let that pass.... :think