PDA

View Full Version : While I'm still driving you nuts with my questions about HOD, let's talk math

diamondintherough
06-15-2009, 10:34 AM
O.k.---I've not found a math curriculum that I love and have used a lot in my 13years of homeschooling. :shifty I'm looking for both dd12yo and dd5yo. I'll start with dd12yo.

Dd12yo had used A-beka for about 5 years and last year I switched her over to ALEKS (online program). We really liked ALEKS b/c the pages were not cluttered and you could hit the "explain" button and get an example of the type of problem. However, now that we're at the end of the year, it's getting harder and the explanations are not cutting it for either of us. ALEKS doesn't explain the "why". I LOVE that ALEKS is a mastery program and not a spiraling program and that dd can see her pieces of "pie" fill up as she works. I like how it can guage where she is at and what she needs to learn next. Dd is feeling like a complete failure even though she has done a great job this year.

Soo......while I was at the homeschool convention this weekend I took a peek at Math-U-see. dd12yo is at the Algebra 1 level and I really wonder if learning a whole new way of doing the math is going to be a problem for her with MUS. I like that I don't have to actually teach :shifty because Mr. Demme does it, but I don't know if it's too late for MUS with this child.

I also looked at Video Text Interactive which starts at Algebra 1 level and goes through 4 years of high school level math. It is EXPENSIVE, but it looks good. Anyone have any experience with this program? I had never heard of it before Friday last week. I'm going to see how much it costs used b/c there is no way I can afford it new.

Thoughts?

Now, on to dd5yo.

Anyone use Right Start Math? If so, what do you think? It also looks expensive, but it looks really good to me for my very tactile dd5yo. I like the Abacus idea a lot.

I'm also considering MUS for her. Maybe starting her earlier will be better than what I'm trying to do with dd12yo. What do you think?

(I'm proud of myself. I've got it down to 2 math programs for each of them).

kwisie
06-15-2009, 12:15 PM
:popcorn I haven't found anything I love for SS12yo, either.

twinmomma
06-15-2009, 05:39 PM
I struggled for the past few months.....debating between various math curr. I finally just chose MUS. We had used it the yr before last and like it. After looking at many, I'm now going back.

kiloyd
06-15-2009, 08:33 PM
:smile We are a pair! Your title made me laugh b/c it's something I would have typed.

I'm not any help. I've used A Beka math for ds K-2nd. And I'm wondering to stay with it for next year or change.

diamondintherough
06-16-2009, 07:34 AM
wrong quote

diamondintherough
06-16-2009, 07:36 AM
:smile We are a pair! Your title made me laugh b/c it's something I would have typed.

I'm not any help. I've used A Beka math for ds K-2nd. And I'm wondering to stay with it for next year or change.

LOL--Gee thanks for the help! :giggle It's funny, but you didn't seem like an indecisive person when I met you :giggle

diamondintherough
06-16-2009, 07:37 AM
I'm going to beg my friend here who uses MUS to show me everything for the Elementary years. She has young'uns only, but at least I can figure out dd5yo.

I'm leaning toward Rightstart Math, but only if I can find it used and there isn't really any on Ebay ATM.

TestifyToLove
06-16-2009, 01:51 PM
Teaching Textbooks. They start at 4th grade currently and go through High School. I cannot praise this program enough. I went through 8 other programs for A and *nothing* worked. He's excelling in TT. Plus, the 4th AND 3rd graders jumped in and are doing the same 5th grade program.

At this point, I use Developmental Mathematics until they hit TT and then TT, which I suspect we'll use all the way through. 5 diferent learning styles with different strengths and weaknesses and this set-up is teaching them ALL. Just don't ask me how many years it took to find this set-up, okay.

diamondintherough
06-16-2009, 03:01 PM
Just don't ask me how many years it took to find this set-up, okay.

:giggle I'm right there with you. I'm a veteran homeschooler (13years). You would THINK that by now, I would have it all figured out!

TT was in the running last year, but what I didn't like about them was that the pages were too busy (for me) and I would have to replace the workbooks for the other kids, so Aleks won out there. But, I'm open to revisiting them.

So, tell me about Developmental Math for the littles....

RedTulipMoon
06-16-2009, 03:16 PM
I think RightStart or MUS would be a good choice if your daughter is hands on. I myself am leaning more towards RightStart. As far as the older one, i was gonna suggest TT as well, i hear such great things from those using it.

kiloyd
06-16-2009, 04:30 PM

LOL--Gee thanks for the help! :giggle It's funny, but you didn't seem like an indecisive person when I met you :giggle

I'm so glad you thought that! B/c I am THE MOST indecisive person ever!

I've never heard of TT. Waiting to hear more about it.

diamondintherough
06-17-2009, 09:03 AM

I'm so glad you thought that! B/c I am THE MOST indecisive person ever!

I've never heard of TT. Waiting to hear more about it.

TT looks good. The one drawback that I've heard people say is that it's "behind" other programs and to put your kids up a grade level. I'm not sure how I feel about it for algebra for dd12yo. Still praying through that.

kiloyd
06-17-2009, 07:58 PM
Now I'm questioning the math we use. What to do, what to do?

diamondintherough
06-18-2009, 10:58 AM

First of all, don't panic. Easy for me to say :giggle Seriously, though, what are you using for the 8yo and 5yo?

TestifyToLove
06-18-2009, 04:59 PM
TT is a computer based program. You don't use the workbooks unless you want to. We haven't used them at all. And, all I can tell you is that Dh reviewed the 5th grade material and its spot on for 5th grade math. It was written by a college Math Prof and its WELL explained for the kids.

Developmental Mathematics is basically the math equivalent of Explode the Code, imo. Its simple but self explanatory workbooks. Both my struggling students and my advanced students have loved DM most of the time.

kiloyd
06-18-2009, 07:54 PM

First of all, don't panic. Easy for me to say :giggle Seriously, though, what are you using for the 8yo and 5yo?

I've used A Beka for ds (8) from K to 2nd. he's done fine with it so I may stick with it for another year.

Dd is 4 1/2 so I'm not using anything for her right now.