PDA

View Full Version : Quick questions about Singapore math

MidnightCafe
06-13-2009, 08:41 AM
We used MUS this year, and, although it was fine, Mane would really like a math book with more color. ;)

How necessary do you find the teacher books for Singapore? I did not use the teacher book almost ever with MUS. I did, however, use the DVD.

Does Singapore use blocks or other objects similar to MUS?

How do grade levels compare between MUS & Singapore?

Thanks!

jenn3514
06-13-2009, 08:47 AM
I've found Singapore to be slightly ahead of MUS, but if the child had mastered the skills, it is fine. I think it has more to do with the presentation, MUS is linear- Singapore is more spiraling. I don't think that Singapore has manipulatives. We use the workbooks as side work if we can find them cheap and the kids will sometimes ask for clarification, but not often enough that I consider it a problem.
Singapores website has a quiz the kids can take that will telll you where they belong in their program.

Littledisciples
06-13-2009, 09:47 AM
They say you really don't need them tell books 3A and 3B but even then I am not sure if I really need them. I have the books from 1B-3B if you need to take a peak I can post a picture for you.

PurpleButterfly
06-13-2009, 09:55 AM
Singapore is all workbook, and the philosophy is that work is done in the head rather than on paper or with manipulatives. For some kids, it can work very well, but that also depends on the parents ability to think/teach that way. My son could manage the mental math, but as a hands-on learner/teacher, it was very challenging for me to teach Singapore. We quickly recognized it wasn't for us when I was struggling and my son told me the work was really boring. Right now we are using a combination of state textbook (being tossed out by local schools so they could make room for the next "edition") and the wonderful Evan-Moore Skill Sharpeners Math. :tu

Littledisciples
06-13-2009, 10:07 AM
On the website they do sell some manipulatives to use for the early years. I do use manipulatives to help teach my kids concepts that they don't understand. You can purchase those about anywhere. I normaly just look at the textbook and see how they are instructing the kids to do the work. Then I can just figure a way to teach that. :shrug3 When you get Singapore it seems overwhelming at first to sort out the books but they have a test on their site you can figure out where they are at. Then each one has a Textbook and and correlating Workbook. The text book is to show them how with cool pictures ect.. While the workbook is to do the work. Sometimes you work about 2-3 in your textbook and then go on to do 2 pages in your workbook. While other times you just do one page in the textbook and go on to do 3 pages in your textbook. If that makes sense. And like she said it is advanced so if you have a 2nd grader at 2nd grade level math they would be in 1B and 2A for the school year. If you have a 2nd grader who is advanced then they would be in 2A and 2B for the school year. If you had a 2nd Grader who struggles with math I would start them off in 1A and 2B. Does that make sense. I try not to stress out on grade levels here and my kids are in all diffrent grades for diffrent subjects so it doesn't bother them.

teamommy
06-14-2009, 07:54 PM
By teacher books do you mean the textbook or the home instructor guides?

You absolutely need the textbook and the workbook. I guess you don't technically need the instructor guides at the 1A/1B level, but I found helpful teaching tips using the 1B guide. They lead you through how to teach the material, first using manipulatives. They remind you that facts should be practiced separately, and suggest by what point your student should know which facts. The guides also include games and some pages of extra practice problems. I purchased them for level 2 and wouldn't want to be without them, and consider myself to be more mathy than not.

Singapore doesn't include manipulatives with their books (except some cards that you can copy and cut out, at first grade level). However, it is absolutely meant to be taught using manipulatives first, in the early level. The model is concrete, to pictorial, to abstract. So they will use the manipulatives with the instruction( the guides will have manipulative sugestions), until you are sure they understand the concept. Then they do the workbook pages, which usually include pictures when first working with a concept. Then later they are expected to do the math mentally, and apply the concept to more complex problems.

I also use the Intensive Practice books for reinforcement. They can add a little more challenge as compared to the workbooks.

I don't know how grade levels compare. I have read different things. I think there are some online placement tests at Sonlight and Singaporemath.

PurpleButterfly
06-14-2009, 08:41 PM
However, it is absolutely meant to be taught using manipulatives first, in the early level. The model is concrete, to pictorial, to abstract. So they will use the manipulatives with the instruction( the guides will have manipulative sugestions), until you are sure they understand the concept. Then they do the workbook pages, which usually include pictures when first working with a concept. Then later they are expected to do the math mentally, and apply the concept to more complex problems.

Interesting, I did not know that! We started Singapore with 2B and the expectation was already at mental processing only. Had I known it is a comprehensive program with an important root foundation, I would never have jumped in mid-point, and we would not have wasted frustration, time and money. They really should clarify that information before selling their product, IMO. :yes