PDA

View Full Version : TruthQuest History... looks good! Anyone use it?

Singingmom
06-12-2009, 04:57 PM
http://www.truthquesthistory.com/default.php

It's an affordable spine covering different periods of history with book lists (you would get the living books separately or from the library). It's Christian and says it fits with Charlotte Mason or classical or unit approaches.

I'm intrigued... I need some help pulling next year's history together.

:cup :cookie

deena
06-12-2009, 05:12 PM
:popcorn

ShangriLewis
06-12-2009, 06:30 PM
I have two of the books. I think I'll keep it for latter. I traded it for something else.

I wouldn't consider it a spine. Each section is a bit of commentary for different subjects and a list of chapters to go with each commentary. Some people really hate the way she writes. Personally, I don't think she writes well. So, I'm not sure if I'm going to use it with my older children. If I do use it, it will be on our next cycle. I won't let them read the commentary. I will read it to myself and "teach" it back. I just can't imagine letting my High Schooler read her writing.

The books and topics she picks are quite nice though. I don't think her writing suggestions are all that wonderful.

It's open and go if you have most of the books. If you have a good library you could put those topics on hold as you come to them. You don't have to use the books she suggests. She has SOTW and a few of the AO books in there.

All in all, I think it's a fabulous idea. But, I just haven't been able to bring myself to using it.

Singingmom
06-12-2009, 06:54 PM
Hmmm... if I could get a lot of use out of it for which people and events we should be touching on, and then find living books from a good list to spend most of our time on, it might be worth it to me. I don't relish reading the lessons to them so much as having a guide without investing too much money. Too bad her writing's not great. Thanks, Heather!