PDA

View Full Version : About to throw out my BGs. Anything else I can do to fix them?

Jeanette598
06-12-2009, 02:53 PM
We primarily use prefolds, but I have 8 one-size Bum Genius pockets. They are leaking terribly! I know what the problem is, and we caused it. :yes2 Dd2 had a persistent rash, and I got tired of using disposables, so we put her in BGs with cream ... a lot of cream ... for at least two weeks. :bag Everything seemed to be fine, and then all of a sudden all the BGs started leaking.

I have stripped them twice with Dawn & hot water. Both times I scrubbed them with Dawn and a toothbrush, then put them through about five hot wash cycles. No improvement. Wednesday I boiled them all (I know you're not supposed to boil anything with snaps, but I was desperate!), and it didn't seem to help. :( Is there anything else I can do? I would be happy even to salvage half of them, since we really only want a few for the church nursery, grandparents, etc.

Any advice welcome!

2sunshines
06-14-2009, 06:13 PM
Can you tell me a little more about the leaking? When they leak, are the inserts saturated or still mostly dry? Is it coming out the legs or right through the PUL?

Jeanette598
06-14-2009, 06:52 PM
Hmm, good questions. :think The inserts are usually just slightly damp. Based on the wet spots on my dd's clothes, I would guess it's leaking through the PUL? Her pants are usually completely wet in front, not just on the sides. She has really chunky thighs and the elastic is still in good shape, so I don't think pee is leaking through the legs.

BeckaBlue
06-14-2009, 09:11 PM
if the fleece wasn't letting the wetness through it'd go out the legs.
something you ccould try to "test" the pul on the bg's is to put a prefold on top of the fleece, if it wets through the middle then the pul may be damaged, if she doesn't wet through at all, i'd bet it was the fleece. it's not a perfect test, cause you'd probably need to let her wet more than once in the dipe
i think another things you could try is putting a cup of water on the bg (w/ insert inside), if it starts soaking through the fleece and then the pul, it's the pul, if it just sits and sits and sits, try putting some pressure on it to how long it takes.

im not sure how well those 'tests' will work, but an idea nonetheless :shrug3

Jeanette598
06-15-2009, 05:47 AM
Thanks for the ideas! I'll do some experimenting later.

AngelaVA
06-15-2009, 06:04 AM
Could it be the inserts? Have you stripped those or just the diapers?

The Tickle Momster
06-15-2009, 07:40 AM
:cup

scottishthistle
06-15-2009, 08:41 AM
there is some waterproof spray you can buy for fabric, might that work on the BG's?

tinyheaths
06-15-2009, 10:46 AM
Maybe you could scrub them with a bristle brush and the dawn to break up the cream? For the next time you need to use cream we just line the diaper with a cloth wipe :hug2

Barefoot Bookworm
06-15-2009, 01:43 PM
Leaking through the PUL is a defect of the diapers. All of mine were replaced when they started leaking through the PUL before I'd had them for a year and I was told I had a bad batch.