PDA

View Full Version : Please help me get off the fence re: HOD and FIAR

diamondintherough
06-12-2009, 07:25 AM
Long story short, I have volume 1 of FIAR that I used for ds18 yo when he was 5-6 yo. At that time I used the library to take out the books. Having ADD and 5 kids I have learned that this is NOT the best way for me to accomplish anything during the school year. I use Sonlight for my older kids (grade 2ish and up) simply b/c I could get all the books ahead of time and the schedule was laid out for me. I loved FIAR except for the fact that some of the books were out of print. I *think* I can actually purchase the majority of the books to have on hand and can work it out.

What I like about FIAR:

1) Ready to go--open it up and pick and choose what you want to do.
2) Variety of activities

What I didn't like:

1) a couple of the book choices---The Story about Ping comes to mind.
2) Books out of print and hard to find.

HOWEVER, I've been doing a lot of reading about HOD and asking some questions. It intrigues me because:

a) It seems to do a lot of *God* stuff---bible-oriented.
b) It's all laid out in blocks that I can do in 10-15 minute increments--open and go.

My concerns:

1) I've never done it before and haven't actually seen it in person.

Neutral: I think that in the end both programs will cost me about the same.

The Tickle Momster
06-12-2009, 07:39 AM
You can always skip Ping. Not my favorite story, but my kids like it. :shrug3

I think FIAR sells sets of the books. I also found many of them on ebay. The ones I couldn't I bought, or asked the grandparents to buy.

HOD looks good to me. If it is as easy to pull out & use as MFW you'll be fine. It looks like it would be great and since it's broken into chunks for you super easy to do 10 minutes here and 15 there if that is what works best for you.

diamondintherough
06-12-2009, 08:27 AM
I'm heading to the local Homeschool convention today and am hoping for some clarity once I get there. I'm not going to any seminars, just the curriculum area. Hopefully someone is selling HOD so I can get a good look at it.

Truth is that either program will be fine--I just need to make a decision. I "know" FIAR, so in some ways that's easier, but there's a lot to like about HOD, too.

allisonintx
06-12-2009, 08:31 AM
I did MFW kindy, and found it to be not as "open and go" as HOD appears to be.

FIAR is a lot of mommy planning time, which is why I could never even consider it.

diamondintherough
06-12-2009, 08:35 AM
I did MFW kindy, and found it to be not as "open and go" as HOD appears to be.

FIAR is a lot of mommy planning time, which is why I could never even consider it.

Thanks for the input! I didn't do any real planning with FIAR except for getting the library books (which is enough). If HOD is more open and go, methinks I shall do it this year.

Grover
06-12-2009, 02:54 PM
Im a HOD ,I am biased.I have just finished LHFHG and I loved the boxsystem and that it was short activities.

Rabbit
06-12-2009, 04:35 PM
What does HOD stand for again?

The Tickle Momster
06-12-2009, 05:40 PM
heart of dakota