PDA

View Full Version : My children's final reports on the ocean

ArmsOfLove
06-11-2009, 12:57 PM
Ever since our trip to San Diego last summer we've been studying the ocean. It's been pretty enjoyable and we've done a lot involving games and unit studies and books. I'm doing a big display board that has origami and sketches and photos and I'll try to come back and post a picture when it's done (our recognition night is tomorrow) but here's my children's final reports:

Fiona
Coral is an animal and sharks don’t really want to eat you. They eat seals but on a surfboard you look like a seal swimming in the ocean—that’s why they attack people on surfboards. Sharks are afraid of dolphins.
Boxing jellyfish are the most poisonous kind of jellyfish—the most poisonous creature of all.
Whales are the loudest of all animals when they yell. They also sing.
When sea turtles hatch from their eggs, some of them don’t make it to the ocean and that is sad.
In San Diego I loved seeing all of the seaweed rush around my feet while I stood in the water and I enjoyed finding clams. The sea lions coming in at night was cool but I still wonder if the sick baby sea lion died.

Aidan
Turtles cry because they have sand in their eyes. And they have to go out of the water onto shore to lay eggs. They bury them and never see them again. We have red-eared slider turtles and they have to be fed once a day.
Watch out for squids because they can drown you. Watch out for jellyfish because if they sting you the best way to stop the sting is having someone pee on you. Definitely watch out for the King Jellyfish.
Some sharks attack each other and they have three layers of teeth to get better grips and chew stuff easier. You have to be careful about sharks. Fish travel in big groups called schools and some fish have horns.
Dolphins save people. They will go under them to make sure they don’t drown.
The ocean is full of salt water. Three-quarters of the earth is covered in water.

Liam
Clownfish use slime so they don’t get stung by anemones. Thousands of fish varieties live in the ocean. In order for a fish to be kosher it has to have scales and fins. There is debate about the flounder because when it’s a baby it has scales and fins but as an adult it has skin and fins.
Water evaporates from the ocean and comes down again as rain. If we pollute our oceans the whole world’s water will be affected. This could destroy vegetation and animals would be poisoned by drinking the water. This could cause world hunger. We can stop dumping garbage into the ocean and take personal responsibility for cleaning up beaches and areas near water. Thankfully fish and some vegetation in the water serve to filter it, but there are less fish due to fishing and human demand for fish to eat. We all have to take responsibility for taking care of the earth.
The deepest part of the world is 7 miles deep and is under the ocean. In prehistoric times the biggest predator in the world lived in the ocean. It was called Predator X and it had the body of a whale and the head of a crocodile. It would measure up to 100 feet long. The bone connecting the head to the body was bigger than a human head.
My favorite sea creature is the Saltwater Crocodile, or “Saltie”. It is found in the North Eastern part of Australia in the Great Barrier Reef. I like it because it is one of the oldest species alive. It is one of the deadliest creatures you can stumble upon on a beach and a male can grow up to 20 feet long. The female is about half the size of a male—topping out at 10 feet long. It can also live in rivers and lakes, not just the sea. Its jaws have the force of a truck slamming down.

Iveyrock
06-11-2009, 01:20 PM
:rockon

momaich
06-11-2009, 01:27 PM
Nice! Can't wait to see the display. Is there a thread on homeschool recognition ceremonies yet?

Aisling
06-11-2009, 01:31 PM
I'm :jawdrop over Liam's vocab! Is he always that well-spoken? :heart

Nice reports, all of them! :cool I loved Aiden's jellyfish sting remedy :giggle and Fionna's vivid description of the seaweed sweeping around her feet. :hearts

Mollycurls
06-11-2009, 01:52 PM
:rockon Great reports! I grew up living next to the ocean, and I never knew that to take away the sting from a jelly fish you could pee on it! Can't say I'd ever do that...but hey, good to know! :giggle

ArmsOfLove
06-11-2009, 02:00 PM
Yes--Liam does talk like that :) I thought the reports captured all of their personalities so well :heart

Aisling
06-11-2009, 02:16 PM
:yes :heart You can totally hear their giftings and passions through their writing.