PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Math program?

rootsintherock
06-11-2009, 07:59 AM
We are currently looking to different curriculum's for this coming school year but we're stumped on math. We did use MEP math last year and DD 9 & DS 7 found it a little boring. Our DD struggles a little with math, DS finds it easier. Looking for something that is very through but explained well for my 'math-challenged' brain to comprehend! :shifty I do have an older Saxon 65 math book (from 1992) which looks like we could use but I can't seem to find the teachers/workbooks for it online...maybe its too old. What do you use?

allisonintx
06-11-2009, 08:06 AM
I finally caved and got Math U See several years ago after being unreasonably opposed to it on the basis of the use of U rather than "You" and the fact that I didn't like the way that the manipulatives felt in my hands.

Naturally, because I hate it, it is the one program that was able to get through to my most math challenged child, for whom we tried four different curriculums to learn to wrap her brain around multiplication. :rolleyes2

I have learned that the more opposed to a program I am, based on just not liking it for whatever reason, the more likely it is that I will be forced to purchase and use it because it is best for one of my children. :bag

rootsintherock
06-11-2009, 11:44 AM
I finally caved and got Math U See several years ago after being unreasonably opposed to it on the basis of the use of U rather than "You" and the fact that I didn't like the way that the manipulatives felt in my hands.

Naturally, because I hate it, it is the one program that was able to get through to my most math challenged child, for whom we tried four different curriculums to learn to wrap her brain around multiplication. :rolleyes2

I have learned that the more opposed to a program I am, based on just not liking it for whatever reason, the more likely it is that I will be forced to purchase and use it because it is best for one of my children. :bag

I've looked up the Math U See website, looks interesting. How much 'teaching' do you do at the elementary level?

allisonintx
06-11-2009, 03:21 PM
he teaches it on a DVD, and the kids do the work. I rarely have to intervene in any way.

ncsweetpea
06-12-2009, 05:03 AM
Allison, what did you use before you got Math-U-See? Can you share a little about your experiences with those programs?

Katydid
06-12-2009, 05:10 AM
Have you seen Math on the Level? That's what we plan to use. I was drawn to it specifically because the author gives several ways of explaining each concept (she has a background in teaching math to kids with special needs). Also, there is lots of suggestions for learning math in "real" life and not just busy work.

rootsintherock
06-12-2009, 05:46 AM
he teaches it on a DVD, and the kids do the work. I rarely have to intervene in any way.

Is this the 'teacher' DVD that they mention on the website? I got the impression that the 'teacher' needed to teach the lesson...I'll have to go back and re-read the website.

Have you seen Math on the Level? That's what we plan to use. I was drawn to it specifically because the author gives several ways of explaining each concept (she has a background in teaching math to kids with special needs). Also, there is lots of suggestions for learning math in "real" life and not just busy work.

I haven't seen this one...but I will check it out! We will eventually be teaching math to our special needs son (he's only 2 now).

allisonintx
06-12-2009, 05:49 AM
We did "Making Math Meaningful" first, and it worked well for one of my children. She is my circuitous thinker. My linear kids had a harder time with it. I really liked MMM. It had enough variety in the way the lessons were presented to keep my attention (tricky, I have ADD and don't particularly enjoy math)

We've used all kinds of random workbooks in cobbled together fashion for our little girls, and that has worked really well. I'm getting ready to try and start Abbi (9) on MUS and see if the multiplication program is good for her. Otherwise, I may go back to using MMM for her.

It would be so nice if I could feel like using the same program for all of my children would work, but I just want the very best for all of them and they are such different learners.