PDA

View Full Version : The Phonics Road to Spelling and Reading

momaich
06-10-2009, 06:54 AM
Has anyone tried this or seen it? My kids read and comprehend well but they do not have good spelling skills. at all
This program sounds methodical and like it answers all the questions my kids (and I) have about why words are spelled the way they are spelled, where they came from and how to spell them.
However, it sounds almost boring- though informative and like it would lay a wonderful groundwork for them to become wordsmiths- which I would love.
I have studeied the website and read various reviews but would love to hear from someone who is not being paid to review stuff. It sounds a bit labor intensive but I am familiar with Orton Gillingham approaches and think I could handle it- even though we are not curriculum oriented.
OTOH- if I just made a more concerted effort at phonics, maybe I wouldn't "need" want this program.
I've looked for it used to no avail too. It's 200.00 for the mom supplies and supplies for one child. Additional children's supplies are 69.00 per. So, it is expensive. I was thinking I could duplicate manipulatives but not sure if that is some sort of copyright infringement.
Anyway- hoping someone here can add their 2 cents.