PDA

View Full Version : Kindergarden Math Books Help

Littledisciples
06-09-2009, 02:26 PM
Ok here are the three I am looking at for my five year old. Math U See, Right Start Math or Singapore Math
My older two are using Singapore Math so I am familier with it already. That being said I know its advanced so I worry that the K level could be two hard for her. I don't want her to be frustrated. I didn't use it that young for my older two so I am not sure what to expect with SM at that level. I like the hands on approach with the other programs. :think I just hate saxon math its not a option. I know some people love it but I just hate it. :sadno When my older two where here age I just used some workbooks from target :giggle :shrug3 I clearly didn't know what I was doing back then either. How ever I am ready to start her out right :shifty with a real math program. I just am not sure what or where to go here.
If this helps any-
She can count to 20 and other then that I really haven't worked with her much on Math so far. :O I was focusing on the phonics and alphabet recognition. Of course she knows her colors, shapes and basic number recognition.

Accepting any available advise or imput. Thank You :yes

Littledisciples
06-09-2009, 05:00 PM
Also wondering if anyone has heard of Calvert Math :think From what I see it seems very similer to Singapore

http://www.calvertschool.org/accredited-homeschool-curriculum/calvert-math/

Littledisciples
06-11-2009, 09:18 PM
*BUMP

I must ask the wrong questions because lately everything I have posted in this thread doesn't get replies. :cry

IslandMama
06-11-2009, 09:41 PM
:hugheart
I don't know that you need a "real" math program... But I see what you're saying.... We started with Singapore, then switched to MUS, because I liked it, but dd did not...So we've moved back to Singapore. You can use manipulatives for it too. I started with the Early Bird books in Kinder before switching to MUS...they were really fun for dd and not hard at all. You could even start them now and see how she likes it. I have not used the other curricula, so I can't really comment, though I've heard good things about all of them...Have you looked at Horizon? Hope you get more helpful responses!

Joyful Mommy
06-11-2009, 10:41 PM
Anita, what did you like about Singapore vs MUS? Those are the two I'm considering at this point.

IslandMama
06-11-2009, 10:59 PM
Anita, what did you like about Singapore vs MUS? Those are the two I'm considering at this point.

coming back to this...going to bed! :yawn

veggiegirl
06-12-2009, 04:39 AM
I used Horizons Math for homeschool kindergarten. I did find that it started to move a little fast and I decided not to finish book 2, but save that for 1st grade.
Honestly, manipulates and board games are the best for kindergarten math. You can find worksheet online or just buy the workbooks from Target like you did before. Very few public schools I know use math workbooks for Kindergarten.

ncsweetpea
06-12-2009, 05:01 AM
If you liked Singapore, stick with it...just add some manipulatives. The familiarity for you will be nice... :)

Katydid
06-12-2009, 05:05 AM
Out of those three, I would pick Right Start, if I could afford it. :P~

Havilah
06-12-2009, 05:27 AM

Why? Not challenging, just curious... I'm trying to decide this for myself. :)

Katydid
06-12-2009, 05:56 AM

Well, RS is actually my second choice after Math on the Level. I love all the manipulatives and the teaching concepts of RS, but I tend to bristle at the scripted-ness of the teacher's guide. :shifty

forty-two
06-12-2009, 05:57 AM
I like the hands on approach with the other programs.
There's a free K-6 program online, CSMP (http://ceure.buffalostate.edu/~csmp/CSMP%20Program/index.html), that has a hands-on and literature focus, especially in K. I've been seriously looking at it, and I'm impressed; it emphasizes math understanding, and, from what I've seen, it delivers. K, in particular, looks like a lot of fun. It doesn't have any worksheets for K, just interactive lessons (which is a big plus for me). I find the lessons easy to follow; the only prep you'd need to do is glance over the lesson to see what materials to gather. The program is very non-traditional, with a very distinct philosophy, but if you just wanted to use it (or pieces of it) for K (then move on to another program), I don't think it would matter if you just followed the lesson plans without worrying about why they do things. (But if you wanted to use it for upper levels, then yes, you'd want to take the time to really understand the program.)

Joyful Mommy
06-12-2009, 07:15 AM
I like the hands on approach with the other programs.
There's a free K-6 program online, CSMP (http://ceure.buffalostate.edu/~csmp/CSMP%20Program/index.html), that has a hands-on and literature focus, especially in K. I've been seriously looking at it, and I'm impressed; it emphasizes math understanding, and, from what I've seen, it delivers. K, in particular, looks like a lot of fun. It doesn't have any worksheets for K, just interactive lessons (which is a big plus for me). I find the lessons easy to follow; the only prep you'd need to do is glance over the lesson to see what materials to gather. The program is very non-traditional, with a very distinct philosophy, but if you just wanted to use it (or pieces of it) for K (then move on to another program), I don't think it would matter if you just followed the lesson plans without worrying about why they do things. (But if you wanted to use it for upper levels, then yes, you'd want to take the time to really understand the program.)

Wow, that looks great! Has anyone used it?

forty-two
06-12-2009, 11:48 AM
Wow, that [CSMP] looks great! Has anyone used it?

CSMP (http://ceure.buffalostate.edu/~csmp/) (Comprehensive School Mathematcs Program) was an experimental public school program in the 70s and 80s that was put online once it went out of print; most of the info out there is research data (http://ceure.buffalostate.edu/~csmp/Evaluation/Evaluation.html). The conclusions were basically that CSMP students were about equal to traditionally taught students in computational ability, but were superior in problem solving, as measured by a test created by the researchers.

I have not seen much about it among homeschoolers. I learned about it on the WTM boards, where it has been discussed (http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Awww.welltrainedmind.com+csmp&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a) some, and a few people use it as a supplement. A few people in the Living Math yahoo group use it, at least one of whom uses it as their main program. It especially appeals to people who like to play with math (or who want to learn to like to play with math :giggle).

Philosophy-wise, it is an interesting mix between the original New Math and the 'new' new math. It is very much focused on truly understanding math and exploring various ways to arrive at the answer. It places a strong emphasis on set theory (through its "languages of strings and arrows") and exploring other bases to better understand place value (through the Papy minicomputer), both of which are hallmarks of New Math. It is spiral and a constructivist program, which fits in with more recent reform math curricula. Here is a nice description of some of the unique features of the CSMP approach: The visual language of CSMP (http://mengelberg.home.comcast.net/~mengelberg/CSMP/csmp.html). As well, you can read the introduction to any of the lesson plans for a good overview. Like many New Math and 'new' new math programs, it really needs a knowledgeable teacher. The more I study CSMP the more I *love* it - I think it will do an excellent job building mathematical understanding - but the teacher has to be willing to put in the time to ensure that they understand the math they are teaching.

At the moment, I definitely plan to at least incorporate elements of CSMP into my main math program, and to use it as a supplement. As well, CSMP is on my short-list for a main program (along with Miquon, MEP, and Singapore).

Littledisciples
06-12-2009, 12:00 PM

Well, RS is actually my second choice after Math on the Level. I love all the manipulatives and the teaching concepts of RS, but I tend to bristle at the scripted-ness of the teacher's guide. :shifty

That is what I liked about it all the manipulatives. I didn't think about the teachers guide LOL I really haven't used one so far.

I liked the idea of a CD with MUS but wasn't sure if anyone here actually used the program.

I do like Singapore Math however my girls take one year to complete one book. I don't know how anyone can do two books in one year or maybe I am not doing enough math. :shifty That being said my middle child struggles with math and she is not at "grade level" in Singapore but it is an advanced program so I am not too worried at this point.

I wasn't sure how the Earlybird K worked and not sure which book she would need. :think

Thanks for the replies so far giving me something to think on. I am looking at the CSMP too never heard of it before but not sure how well doing math online would be. Since we never did anything online all the time before.

forty-two
06-12-2009, 12:19 PM
I am looking at the CSMP too never heard of it before but not sure how well doing math online would be. Since we never did anything online all the time before.

I think most people print out the lessons plans instead of reading them from the computer, though you certainly could (I am, at the moment). If you used years beyond K you'd need to print out the student sheets, though. It really isn't an "online program" so much as a program distributed in electronic form, but meant to be printed out to use it.

Littledisciples
06-12-2009, 12:22 PM
I am looking at the CSMP too never heard of it before but not sure how well doing math online would be. Since we never did anything online all the time before.

I think most people print out the lessons plans instead of reading them from the computer, though you certainly could (I am, at the moment). If you used years beyond K you'd need to print out the student sheets, though. It really isn't an "online program" so much as a program distributed in electronic form, but meant to be printed out to use it.

oh I see humm I am not fond of printing out all the sheets LOL means more ink cartridges then I already go through. :giggle

IslandMama
06-12-2009, 03:06 PM

I liked the concept of a mastery math program, and my older dd, who struggled with math, really liked MUS. The way it was broken down made it very simple for her, and focused on only one concept at a time. She was easily overwhelmed by math, and didn't retain anything with Saxon... Well, my other dd didn't care for the blocks and the repetitiveness. She complained about using them every day! The books are all just plain, black ink, no frills, and she complained it was boring! It worked for my older dd, but they have different personalities. So we came back to Singapore. She still balks at doing math, but enjoys the colored text and the book introduces different ways to do problems, which made it more interesting to dd. I also like how Singapore addresses measurement, geometry, graphing, telling time and other topics that the early years of MUS does not. I was actually supplementing MUS. I guess it all depends on the child mostly, and also what you're looking for in a math program. I honestly would have stuck with it if dd was progressing well with it. You could easily supplement MUS. My friend is using the Critical Thinking Co Mathematical Reasoning workbooks. Hope that helps some!

the CSMP program looks really cool! Anyone here using it???

Littledisciples
06-12-2009, 04:19 PM

I liked the concept of a mastery math program, and my older dd, who struggled with math, really liked MUS. The way it was broken down made it very simple for her, and focused on only one concept at a time. She was easily overwhelmed by math, and didn't retain anything with Saxon... Well, my other dd didn't care for the blocks and the repetitiveness. She complained about using them every day! The books are all just plain, black ink, no frills, and she complained it was boring! It worked for my older dd, but they have different personalities. So we came back to Singapore. She still balks at doing math, but enjoys the colored text and the book introduces different ways to do problems, which made it more interesting to dd. I also like how Singapore addresses measurement, geometry, graphing, telling time and other topics that the early years of MUS does not. I was actually supplementing MUS. I guess it all depends on the child mostly, and also what you're looking for in a math program. I honestly would have stuck with it if dd was progressing well with it. You could easily supplement MUS. My friend is using the Critical Thinking Co Mathematical Reasoning workbooks. Hope that helps some!

Well I was looking at the cost factor too and figured it all out. MUS seems to cost just slightly More then Singapore as well.
I was wondering how kids would react to black and white books they been spoiled with the colorful singapore editions. That really helps me a lot and I didn't think about that part of it. I am definatly not a fan of Saxon at all. It frustrated me to use it and its very overwhelming for the children to keep up with all the work. I will probably just go with Singapore because its more cost effective and kid friendly. I really think my kids would be bored with no pictures to look at. :shrug3

ncsweetpea
06-12-2009, 06:17 PM

I am also very interested in the Critical Thinking Co. Mathematical Reasoning workbooks...I have looked them over several times. They were on sale recently at the publisher's website.

ronioli
06-12-2009, 11:01 PM
I'm planning to use Singapore Math for my dd for kindergarten. She'll turn 5 this summer.

We're also reading all the picture books recommended for kindergarten in the Well-Trained Mind. I can type out the list if you want. They are all available at my local library.

We also play lots of games. I think I've played Uno at least once a day for the past six months! Dd is also really into Monopoly Junior right now and has amazed me by how she can "add" (she owed me $6 yesterday and gave me a $3 bill, a $2 bill, and a $1 bill!). Dice games are great for early math too. At first, they count the dots on the dice. When they start to recognize the dot patterns, add another die and they have to add. :) We play Candyland and Chutes & Ladders with dice now for that purpose. :)

Cooking is also great for early math because it involves lots of measure and number manipulation. The first addition that my dd performed was the calculate how many cups of water to add to the rice she had just put in the cooker. :)

teamommy
06-13-2009, 08:17 AM
I like Singapore a lot so far (oldest is 7) and though I didn't use much of formal program with him for K, I would like to have one for ds2 to keep myself on track.

I recently got a chance to look at Rightstart A for a couple of days. From what I saw, it covers the same things as Singapore Earlybird, and uses the concepts in similar ways. The main difference are the use of the abacus to visualize quantities, instead of counting (something my older son did naturally with dice and other manipulatives, but the abacus looks like a great tool) and RS uses a lot more games. I didn't like te teacher's manual because it seemed like it was making it harder than it needed to be. I felt kind of overwhelmed looking at it, after looking at the Earlybird SM workbooks and just teaching the concepts using popsicle sticks and pennies. :) I'm still considering it but havig an older student, I will probably stick with the familiar and just use Singapore. I don't see a significant enough difference so I don't think the results will be that different with one vs. another. You can get just the RS games and use them as a supplement for all your students. :rockon

Littledisciples
06-13-2009, 09:46 AM
We're also reading all the picture books recommended for kindergarten in the Well-Trained Mind. I can type out the list if you want. They are all available at my local library. :yes That would be good too.

I do have the Right Start Math Games they are fun for the kids. The math games comes with a abacus and I have found that in some cases it is helpful to use. I have no idea how to use it for all math though. But counting like 20 + 5. I really think that helped my middle one understand how to count it all out. Of course I use a ton of manipulatives too esp when they don't understand a concept it really helps. Lucky I have a ton of that on hand right now as it stands.

Not sure why I guess as it gets closer to Summer I am going Yikes I have to get her stuff ordered for next year too. I really like singapore with my older kiddos. I heard about MUS and it sounds so cool and I seen the videos on their site. :lol But when I look at prep time I don't know I have 3 kids to school I don't know if that appeals to me. I am very lazy when it comes to prep time. I just like easy simple things that are self explanitory. I don't know why I am just not that hyper motivated person when it comes to teaching my kiddos. I like to kick back more and just do school for a few hrs a day. :O

ronioli
06-14-2009, 07:10 PM
We're also reading all the picture books recommended for kindergarten in the Well-Trained Mind. I can type out the list if you want. They are all available at my local library. :yes That would be good too.

These are the picture books (author. title.):

Jonas, Ann. Splash!
Miranda, Anne. Monster Math.
Burns, Marilyn. The Greedy Triangle.
Anno, Mitsumasa. The Counting Book.
Burns, Marilyn. Spaghetti and Meatballs for All.
MacKain, Bonnie. One Hundred Hungry Ants.
Anno, Mitsumasa. Anno’s Mysterious Multiplying Jar.
Axelrod, Amy. Pigs Will Be Pigs.
Mogard, Sue. Gobble Up Math: Fun Activities to Complete and Eat for Kids in Grades K-3.
Murphy, Stuart J. Divide and Ride.
Neuschwander, Cindy. Sir Cumference and the First Round Table: A Math Adventure.
Schwartz, David M. How Much is a Million?
Sceiska, Jon and Lane Smith. Math Curse.
Tang, Greg. Math for All Seasons.

Heather R
06-14-2009, 07:33 PM
These are the picture books (author. title.):

Jonas, Ann. Splash!
Miranda, Anne. Monster Math.
Burns, Marilyn. The Greedy Triangle.
Anno, Mitsumasa. The Counting Book.
Burns, Marilyn. Spaghetti and Meatballs for All.
MacKain, Bonnie. One Hundred Hungry Ants.
Anno, Mitsumasa. Anno’s Mysterious Multiplying Jar.
Axelrod, Amy. Pigs Will Be Pigs.
Mogard, Sue. Gobble Up Math: Fun Activities to Complete and Eat for Kids in Grades K-3.
Murphy, Stuart J. Divide and Ride.
Neuschwander, Cindy. Sir Cumference and the First Round Table: A Math Adventure.
Schwartz, David M. How Much is a Million?
Sceiska, Jon and Lane Smith. Math Curse.
Tang, Greg. Math for All Seasons.

Thank you for this list!

Heather

mommy2abigail
06-14-2009, 07:45 PM
:doh Yipes! Kindergarten needs a 'real' math program!?!?! I was just planning on using those workbooks at the bookstore (when dd wants them) and real life stuff to teach the basics...am I gonna mess her up? My scope and sequence (taken from Home Learning Year by Year by Rebecca Rupp) lists this for Kindy:

1. Be able to group objects into sets
2. Identify and continue simple repeating patterns
3. Be able to count to 31
4. Understand one to one correspondence
5. Identify ordinal positions from first to fifth
6. Given a number, be able to identify one more or one less
7. Understand the concept of one half
8. Be able to add and subtract numbers 1-10
9. Know the meaning of the plus (+) and minus (-) signs
10. Make and interpret simple pictorial graphs
11. Identify pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters, and dollar bills. Recognize dollar and cent signs
12. Experiment with measurements of weight, length, and capacity
13. Know what a thermometer is and what it measures.
14. Compare lengths of times it takes to complete various activities
15. Tell time to the hour
16. Know the days of the week and recognize the names of the months of the year.
17. Identify right and left hands, be able to use terms of positions and orientation
18. Recognize and identify the basic two dimensional figures

So far, dd has learned all of that (minus telling time and identifying left and right hands, she sometimes gets those mixed up) just by asking and answering questions, cooking, and living life. I can't imagine what other math concepts she would need to understand at Kindy. :scratch Maybe I am missing something? :think

jenny_islander
06-14-2009, 07:54 PM
Although I'm using Charlotte Mason, I'm also reading along with the public school curriculum because the kids need to pass the standardized tests starting in 3rd grade. Their K math curriculum is almost exactly like the one you posted. I'm not planning to use any books besides the first few lessons in Ray's Arithmetic, which are really story problems for use with manipulatives, although Ray did not use that terminology. Our manipulatives are toy cars and small baskets to put them in. Other than that, it's daily life.

That said, I clearly remember enjoying my K math worksheets because of the cute pictures and the satisfying feeling of drawing neat circles and ovals around the right answers. They were essentially multiple choice, like this:

:cool :cool :cool + :cool :cool = :cool :cool? :cool :cool :cool :cool? :cool :cool :cool :cool :cool?

That was as complex as it got in K.

ronioli
06-14-2009, 07:57 PM
A "real" math program isn't necessary, but I think for some moms' and children's personalities and work/learning styles, they are very helpful. You seem to be doing great without!

forty-two
06-14-2009, 08:09 PM
:doh Yipes! Kindergarten needs a 'real' math program!?!?! I was just planning on using those workbooks at the bookstore (when dd wants them) and real life stuff to teach the basics...am I gonna mess her up?...

No, you're not going to mess your dd up :hug. In fact, you are in great shape. You know what you want to teach your dd, and you have a plan for accomplishing it. Props to you! A "real" program is just a tool: it has teaching ideas and pre-planned activities, usually with a nice schedule, to save you the time and trouble of coming up with your own. Some people need or want that; others don't. The point is that your dd learns math - use whatever methods get you there.

Littledisciples
06-15-2009, 07:26 AM
Yipes! Kindergarten needs a 'real' math program!?!?! I was just planning on using those workbooks at the bookstore (when dd wants them) and real life stuff to teach the basics...am I gonna mess her up? My scope and sequence (taken from Home Learning Year by Year by Rebecca Rupp) lists this for Kindy:

Actually you don't have to if you don't want too. It depends on the kid too. My older two where not ready but my youngest really wants to learn and wants something more then the workbooks. She has been doing K workbooks this year. I think she is a bit advanced when it comes to workbooks but that might have to do with watching her two older sisters doing their school work. :shrug3 :hugheart :hugheart Your not going to mess her up at all. I just know that my DD is so ready for this. I know I am ready to actually sit down and teach her as well. :shifty She could have easily started this last year in preschool but I wasn't ready to teach her that young.

mommy2abigail
06-15-2009, 09:46 AM
Thanks ladies, you calmed me down a bit!!! :heart DD is only just 4, and she loves all the workbook stuff too, she begs me to buy them and breezes through them...it's mostly ME that isn't consistent to do them every day. :shifty