PDA

View Full Version : Looking for suggestions - cursive workbook and good spelling lists?

tempus vernum
06-08-2009, 01:30 PM
DD (9) would like to learn cursive. She would like a self directed workbook. I would like suggestions.

She'd also like to work on her spelling -- I am looking for good comprehensive spelling lists at the beginning. We have a method we used when she did the spelling bee this year. . . kind of sonlights. . . with a twist.

Day 1 - read and discuss spelling list, meaning of word, any "rules" that apply. (i.e. compound words)
Read word, spell word, read word. (using list in front of her

Day 2 - write words 2 times

Day 3 - review words by reading word, spelling it, reading it. Oral drill

Day 4 - review words by reading word, spelling it, reading it. written drill (write mistakes 2 times)

Day 5 - No review. Written drill (carry over mistakes to next spelling list)

I'd love comments/ input on our spelling method. :mrgreen

The Tickle Momster
06-08-2009, 01:34 PM
What about A Reason for Handwriting book C.

And Spelling Power for spelling?

IslandMama
06-08-2009, 09:56 PM
We're trying to find a cursive workbook too...thinking about A Reason for Handwriting or Classically Cursive (http://www.exodusbooks.com/details.aspx?id=3908)...

If you're just looking for spelling lists, what about McGuffey's Eclectic Spelling Book (http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/15456)? Your spelling method looks great! :tu

rosesnsnails
06-08-2009, 09:59 PM
http://www.spellingcity.com/

tempus vernum
06-09-2009, 05:32 AM
I LOVE all of these ideas :giggle

I think I'll let dd choose . . . spelling city.com is COOL! She'll LOVE THAT and I could put it into our method easily. Especially since we are limited on software we can get for our computer cuz we have a MAC. For example, the new spelling power, we can't use the "tutor" because it's MAC :td

diamondintherough
06-09-2009, 05:36 AM
I liked Spelling Power a lot--can start at 1st or 2nd grade and brings you through to college level if I remember correctly. The steps are slightly different that your method, but the lists are comprehensive and have a "rule" at the top. SP has you carry over the words missed till they are gotten. You're not supposed to add them to the next list, but dd did fine with us doing so.

tempus vernum
06-09-2009, 06:07 AM
I liked Spelling Power a lot--can start at 1st or 2nd grade and brings you through to college level if I remember correctly. The steps are slightly different that your method, but the lists are comprehensive and have a "rule" at the top. SP has you carry over the words missed till they are gotten. You're not supposed to add them to the next list, but dd did fine with us doing so.

How much would we miss out not being able to use the computer? As I said, we can't use their "digital tutor" as we don't have a MAC.

Peaceful Meadows
06-09-2009, 06:14 AM
Why did they make the tutor just for MAC? IMO all software should be made to be both MAC and PC compatible. :yes2

tempus vernum
06-09-2009, 06:16 AM
Why did they make the tutor just for MAC? IMO all software should be made to be both MAC and PC compatible. :yes2

It's reverse. . . it's only for PC. . . we have a MAC so they made it for PC's which are more common and they haven't made a MAC version yet :rolleyes

It's such a different system that they have to be developed almost from scratch to make the other version :shrug

Peaceful Meadows
06-09-2009, 06:42 AM

It's reverse. . . it's only for PC. . . we have a MAC so they made it for PC's which are more common and they haven't made a MAC version yet :rolleyes

It's such a different system that they have to be developed almost from scratch to make the other version :shrug

Oops, I misread your post but it doesn't change my viewpoint. ;) I think that all companies should make their software compatible for both. Yes, it may cost more upfront but in the end, I think that it would pay for itself with happy customers and more buyers! :yes

TestifyToLove
06-09-2009, 07:36 AM
We use Spelling Power and this is the first I ever heard they have a computer option. So, clearly it works without the computer. And, I have 3 and counting who learned cursive self taught with A Reason for Writing.

MidnightCafe
06-09-2009, 07:43 AM
I bought StartWrite (http://www.drawyourworld.com/strtwrt.html) to teach handwriting. The software comes with a number of different writing options (manuscript, italic, cursive, etc...), and you can make your own pages. I did this because I wanted to be able to print pages for Mane to work on writing as it related to her interests & studies. So far I've been very happy with it. :yes

tempus vernum
06-09-2009, 07:45 AM
We use Spelling Power and this is the first I ever heard they have a computer option. So, clearly it works without the computer. And, I have 3 and counting who learned cursive self taught with A Reason for Writing.

What version do you have? Just curious because I want to be sure if I decide to get it that I don't order the one that has parts that don't work (according to their website). :mrgreen

I noticed there are 4 or 5 editions :)

tempus vernum
06-09-2009, 07:45 AM
I bought StartWrite (http://www.drawyourworld.com/strtwrt.html) to teach handwriting. The software comes with a number of different writing options (manuscript, italic, cursive, etc...), and you can make your own pages. I did this because I wanted to be able to print pages for Mane to work on writing as it related to her interests & studies. So far I've been very happy with it. :yes

I notice they have a trial version :think

PurpleButterfly
06-09-2009, 07:47 AM
We have been loving these spelling workbooks for a few years now, very engaging and helpful for basic handwriting practice since we detest copywork.

Evan Moore Skill Sharpeners Spell & Write (http://www.evan-moor.com/Series.aspx?CurriculumID=3&ClassID=0&SeriesID=124)

For cursive, we just print off free print-practice pages from the web (dh is in charge of this). :)

TestifyToLove
06-09-2009, 08:43 AM
According to my book, I have the 3rd edition. I bought it new 2 years ago. Had to bite the bullet cause free-reading was NOT teaching them better spelling skills afterall. Its easy, its quick, it works and they love it. And, its quick enough that it doesn't violate my sense of offense at doing strict copywork.

tempus vernum
06-09-2009, 10:33 AM
According to my book, I have the 3rd edition. I bought it new 2 years ago. Had to bite the bullet cause free-reading was NOT teaching them better spelling skills afterall. Its easy, its quick, it works and they love it. And, its quick enough that it doesn't violate my sense of offense at doing strict copywork.

I am considering spelling power pretty seriously. :think

It *is* this one we are discussing right? :O I just realized when googling it that there are a bunch of spelling powers :giggle - this one is the on I think you have TTL - 3rd edition from 2nd to adult right?
http://www.castlemoyle.com/shopping/spelling/spellingpower.htm

I searched more carefully and found there are 3 things on the CD rom
1. reproducible forms
2. searchable word list
3 digital tutor

The only thing I won't be able to use that they haven't made a "mac alternative" is digital tutor :think the kids have a windows based computer she *may* be able to use this on. Or we could use spelling city for the tutor part :think

For cursive, we just print off free print-practice pages from the web (dh is in charge of this). :)

We failed at this :blush I was printing cursive pages that but dd wasn't liking it. . . she looked at the links and is VERY interested in A reason for handwriting book C

TestifyToLove
06-09-2009, 10:48 AM
Yes, but their cover is prettier cause its the 4th edition. Mine has no DVDs and I don't see why I'd need them. Honestly, its quick, its easy and its effective.

tempus vernum
06-09-2009, 10:53 AM
Yes, but their cover is prettier cause its the 4th edition. Mine has no DVDs and I don't see why I'd need them. Honestly, its quick, its easy and its effective.

Cool :cool I am glad you don't need them cuz then I won't stress it :shifty Maybe I'll look for a 3rd edition for cheaper if we decide to go with this :giggle :tu

Peaceful Meadows
06-09-2009, 11:03 AM
You can by one used on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/188882719X/ref=pd_luc_mri?_encoding=UTF8&m=A3SONHCLGM5QYV&v=glance) from $16.74 on up.

tempus vernum
06-09-2009, 11:08 AM
You can by one used on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/188882719X/ref=pd_luc_mri?_encoding=UTF8&m=A3SONHCLGM5QYV&v=glance) from $16.74 on up.

I was just doing that -- looking for used at amazon. . . .and added it to my "list" and it suggested the natural speller which ruth beechik comments on. . . . which looks neat too :doh and Sue, you know how I feel about Beechik :shrug

:sigh being indecisive is terribly inconvenient as a HSer :hiding

Peaceful Meadows
06-09-2009, 11:12 AM
Jodi,
I have the Natural Speller that you can borrow to see if you like it. I won't be using it next year so you can use it until I decide that I want it back. (You may be able to have it forever. :giggle I keep holding onto it thinking that I'll use it sometime but I never do. I keep hoping that my children learn spelling via osmosis. :lol :giggle) PM me your address and I'll mail it to you.

jenny_islander
06-09-2009, 12:01 PM
I learned a lot out of the Scripps-Howard Spelling Bee wordlists. You might see if somebody has an old one lying around.

tempus vernum
06-09-2009, 12:05 PM
Jodi,
I have the Natural Speller that you can borrow to see if you like it. I won't be using it next year so you can use it until I decide that I want it back. (You may be able to have it forever. :giggle I keep holding onto it thinking that I'll use it sometime but I never do. I keep hoping that my children learn spelling via osmosis. :lol :giggle) PM me your address and I'll mail it to you.

Well, I've done nothing but help dd1 prepare for a spelling bee and she easily knew 90% of the 2nd grade words I tested her today. She's just finishing 3rd grade. I started on the 2nd grade test. We aren't quite done. She is learning by osmosis at the moment (well lots of reading, word games and starting to post on a message board ;) ).

BUT she wants to learn more spelling. So. . . . .

diamondintherough
06-09-2009, 12:17 PM
I have the 3rd edition of Spelling Power and we did just fine without the DVD.

AFA the workbooks go, we did buy some, but there is a reproducible copy in the appendix of the book so you can print some off for yourself if you prefer. You *could* just use regular paper, but the workbook pages have the method on them and the kids find it easy to follow.