PDA

View Full Version : onions help!

AlishaRose
06-08-2009, 12:19 PM
This is our first year growing onions from sets, normally we grow them from seeds.

I think I planted them a little bit too far into the ground. Was I supposed to just plant them with the top of the bulb poking out? Because I totally buried mine!

The leaves are growing nicely, but the bulb seems to have turned soggy and be disappearing :/ Is this normal? Does the onion build upon the bulb it already has when you plant the set or does it use the energy from the bulb to shoot up the leaves and then begin to build a new onion bulb?

Lily
06-08-2009, 03:30 PM
My onion bulbs came with instructions that said to plant the bulb about 4 inches beneath the soil. This is my first year with onions, so I don't really know.

I would guess that as long as the leaves are growing nicely that the plant is doing what it is supposed to.

ncsweetpea
06-24-2009, 11:54 AM
If your leaves are growing nicely, then leave it alone. The bulb does seem to go away a bit, but your leaves are your biggest clue as to how the plant is doing. The bigger the leaves on the outside, the bigger the onion underneath!

Are you letting them go to be big bulby onions or are you just allowing them to grow a little while so they can be used as green onions?

AlishaRose
06-24-2009, 11:57 AM
Thanks for your replies :)

Are you letting them go to be big bulby onions or are you just allowing them to grow a little while so they can be used as green onions?

I am growing some on to big onions and some I want small but to use as pickling onions.