PDA

View Full Version : I skipped our state wide homeschool conference this year :-(

mom2boys
06-08-2009, 08:09 AM
Intentionally.
I LOVE to wander the huge curriculum halls, touch and look at books and curriculum I've only read about, and spend time with other homeschoolers.
The state wide group, however, has increasing become a fringe-promoting group. They've always been Pearl-ish, but last year there was a two page ad extolling the virtures of their ministires, along with various booths and speakers. :sick The speakers are increasingly hostile to any alternative view, too. This year there was a speaker from HSLDA that spoke about the "evils of the left, and the way liberals are trying to take over america starting by eradicating homeschooling freedoms and parental rights." He called it "the battle of the century"
First of all, as a member of this evil entity called "the liberals" I am always offended, but I can get around it by knowing his intolerance and venom is his own problem. I don't see how he thinks he's helping any cause, but whatever.
This year they had a local talk radio host as a guest speaker who is total, total venom. Think rush limbaugh...squared. this local host was one of the people who said he was glad that doctor was killed, and then went on and on about it. :sick He got into an arguement on air with my pastor (who guests on a couple other shows) and told my pastor that he and my entire church body is destined for hell because we don't argree 100% with HIS (the host's) belief system. :hunh
I jsut can't support it with my paltry $40 entry fee and my time. But I really missed it, anyway! It's the first time in 8 years we didn't go. :(

deena
06-08-2009, 08:11 AM
:hugheart :heart

2TMama
06-08-2009, 10:06 AM
:hug2

rosesnsnails
06-08-2009, 10:11 AM
:hugheart

sprout
06-08-2009, 10:29 AM
wow...that is quite intense. It is a shame they just can't stick to homeschool and leave the rest for another day. After that display of grace there will probably be quite a few skipping it next year.

I have not been to a hs conference yet and I would love to go. But, I would prefer to go to one that is really about hs.

and, I was unaware of that view by HSLDA. very interesting.

Soliloquy
06-08-2009, 10:54 AM
I wouldn't want to hear all that at a HSing conference either, even though I agree with some of it. In our state, the teacher's union does want HSing to be as restricted as possible and they give millions of dollars to Democratic candidates and got the virtual academy effectively shut down.

But, like I wrote, it doesn't need to be such a prominent feature of a HSing convention.

Grover
06-08-2009, 10:58 AM

4MKfam
06-08-2009, 11:13 AM
:shifty What local talk show host? You've got me curious ;)

veggiegirl
06-09-2009, 04:33 AM
Yeah, I would have skipped it too.

CelticJourney
06-09-2009, 04:39 AM
I agree - homeschool conferences should focus on homeschooling, not politics in general or child-rearing. Unfortunately, there is a place where politics and homeschooling rights do overlap and I think you will find the Rush Limbaughs of the country more supportive of that right than others, so it flows that those types will be more active in an group where the issues are allowed to overlap. We as homeschoolers would be very wise to walk that 'line' between the two issues carefully and not let them become wedges within our communities.

PurpleButterfly
06-09-2009, 07:11 AM
:hugheart I wonder if you are in the South? I notice similar sadness at our hs conventions and feel the same way. I even drove to a neighboring state's conference several times, and there were still the Guideposts folks and even a special presentation from Ginger whatshername who advocates such punitive parenting. :td

However, I don't go to those conferences, walk right past the people I disagree with, and give my money to the good folks who are struggling to survive the market and provide us with quality learning materials. I also email/call/write/fill out comment cards/etc. to let the organizers know I do NOT support specific speakers and booths and give suggestions as to what I would like to see (always include Crystal :grin , the Sears', etc.).

If we slink away in disgust, there is no way for our voices to be heard. So please do think about going next time and being vocal about your desires, you are not alone and things won't change if we don't take a stand. :grouphug :heart :hug

Punkie
06-09-2009, 07:58 AM
I think you will find the Rush Limbaughs of the country more supportive of that right than others

Really? Last year I heard him talking about how we all over-coddled our kids, and homeschooling was one of his examples. I know he is always in favor of the government not having control, but I don't find him to be our #1 fan either. It has always sounded to me like he supports homeschooling just because he is against government control, not that he really loves homeschooling that much. I think he is careful not to bite the hand that feeds, and he gets a lot of support from the religious right.

As to the OP, I'm sorry for your experience. I, too, would be skipping after that kind of display.

HuggaBuggaMommy
06-09-2009, 08:23 AM
I'm sorry you didn't get to go. FWIW, ITU - I've skipped my state homeschool convention every year since the first year I went (in 2004) for the same reasons.

mom2boys
06-09-2009, 08:48 AM
Thanks everyone. :heart
I wonder if you are in the South
I am north of the mason dixon line :)

Elizabeth-I hear you, and I agree for the most part. I think what I'm sad about is the fact that I already feel like that proverbial square peg for homeschooling, and then I go to the only conference in the state and I'm made to feel even more of an outsider for my views on parenting, politics, etc. :(
I know this group has been aruond since homeschooling was technically illeagal, and they still work as if the legislature is an enemy to be subdued, kwim?

Soliloquy
06-09-2009, 09:42 AM
Rush doesn't have any kids of his own (he has step kids but they were teens when he married) so, like a lot of people who don't have kids, I'm sure he doesn't understand what HSing is about. Before I was a mom, I thought most kids were too coddled :blush and I read Weissbluth's sleep book and thought it was good. :bag

I don't care if people don't understand HSing as long as they believe it is my right to do so. The ACLU will do nothing to support HSing. Their stance is that they need to ensure every child has access to public school and that's it. As an American, I respect other people's right to disagree with me and make other decisions for their own family. I want to get back to a place in our country where fundamental rights are not threatened.

CelticJourney
06-09-2009, 10:09 AM
It has always sounded to me like he supports homeschooling just because he is against government control, not that he really loves homeschooling that much.I'll take political support where I can get it these days :giggle He doesn't have to love homeschooling, but I do appreciate it when those who don't homeschool understand why we want to control our children's education as opposed to letting the government nanny our next generation into their own ideals.

I'm sad about is the fact that I already feel like that proverbial square peg for homeschooling,I'm probably with you in that feeling more that you might know. I'm one of those Southern Baptist who believe our children should understand the theory of evolution before they state an opinion about it and once was looked at like a demon because I refused to sing a petition for school prayer. It's both a liberating and a lonely lifestyle when done right. :hug2

ArmsOfLove
06-09-2009, 11:31 AM
I'm mixed again this year. A few years ago they passed the torch to a new couple to run things. The old couple LOVED my book, were very family friendly, and even when punitive people were speaking it was almost always balanced with someone not punitive speaking (like on panels.). There were exceptions but it wasn't the overall tone of things. The last time I went (3 years ago? :scratch) there was an ickier tone and I wrote to them on the review card about how offended I was.

But I do have some things I want to research this year so I might go for one day. Though it's the weekend before my anniversary and my Vegas trip with dd for dance so I'm not sure I want to spend the money either.

The one thing I miss is the Rainbow Resources booth with all their cheap craft supplies. May be worth going just for that :P

Punkie
06-09-2009, 12:14 PM
I'll take political support where I can get it these days :giggle He doesn't have to love homeschooling, but I do appreciate it when those who don't homeschool understand why we want to control our children's education as opposed to letting the government nanny our next generation into their own ideals.

And that I can totally understand :yes I was reading it in the context of this thread as being about who would come speak at a homeschool conference. And, for that, I do not think Rush Limbaugh or someone very similar to him would be ideal :) I think it would be better to choose someone who has a more positive (realistic) view of homeschooled children and their parents if you are going to ask them to be a key speaker.

ArmsOfLove
06-09-2009, 12:34 PM
the thing that always stands out to me is that not everyone who homeschools is conservative or parents punitively. I know a lot of liberal homeschoolers who just don't go get that homeschooling support because of the all the other agendas that get entertwined in there. Homeschooling support should be about homeschooling support :heart

mom2boys
06-09-2009, 06:13 PM
the thing that always stands out to me is that not everyone who homeschools is conservative or parents punitively. I know a lot of liberal homeschoolers who just don't go get that homeschooling support because of the all the other agendas that get entertwined in there. Homeschooling support should be about homeschooling support :heart

and that's exaclty where I am, I think. :-) I would love a group of folks to commiserate the difficulites, celebrate the victories in homeschooling without the other agendas. Unfortunately it seems like I either have to be an ultra punitive, SAHM who kowtows to her husband's every demand OR I'm a paganistic, anti-societial goddess worshipping uber-permissive parent who honors the god within her child. (I'm using hyperbole ;) ) But it seems that is all the people who are in any support group around me.
Which is why I rely on the GCM boards so much, methinks. ;)

I'm sad about is the fact that I already feel like that proverbial square peg for homeschooling,I'm probably with you in that feeling more that you might know. I'm one of those Southern Baptist who believe our children should understand the theory of evolution before they state an opinion about it and once was looked at like a demon because I refused to sing a petition for school prayer. It's both a liberating and a lonely lifestyle when done right. :hug2

It sure is! :hugheart :hugheart
(how do you sing a petition? :lol :P~)

CelticJourney
06-09-2009, 08:05 PM
(how do you sing a petition? )

do - a deer, a female deer; ra - spark of golden sun; mi - a name I call myself...... :shifty

mom2boys
06-10-2009, 07:45 AM
(how do you sing a petition? )

do - a deer, a female deer; ra - spark of golden sun; mi - a name I call myself...... :shifty

:haha