PDA

View Full Version : heroes, patriots, soldiers, pioneers

klpmommy
06-07-2009, 04:05 PM
P&E are singing a song at church for the 4th of July that involves those four groups of people. I want to spend some time during the next four weeks teaching them about what those words mean. I thought it would be good to find a person or two in each category to illustrate the point-- all in American History. So, if you were to pick two people in each category, who would you pick and why? For soldiers I think I will do branches of the military. :think But the other three categories are so broad I am having trouble focusing. :O

DoulaClara
06-07-2009, 04:15 PM
Do you have (or can you check out from a library) a copy of the first volume of William Bennett's America: The Last Best Hope? It's a fairly easy read (for an adult, not a child) but there are lots of photographs, and short stories of a whole variety of forefathers and people I personally consider to be heros, patriots, and pioneers! Some of the descriptions of events that happened in American history are on the graphic side, so I would read through before reading a passage to P and E, but the stories are such that they can be read in short snippets.

One good example of a child pioneer might be Laura Ingalls Wilder- she was with her parents as they headed west into "Indian Territory."

Lady TS
06-07-2009, 05:04 PM
Patrick Henry :)

Vipers_Princess
06-07-2009, 05:42 PM
Soldiers of course pretty much limits you to the Army, as they are the only branch that uses that term. For more current soldiers look at General Tommy Franks {Retired} http://www.tommyfranks.com/Index.shtml He served for over three decades total and was the commander of CENTCOM at the time of the 9/11 attacks and into the early days in Iraq.

A look at the faith of our troops that DH likes and is going to be teaching the girls out of this fall is The Faith Of The American Soldier by Stephen Mansfield. It covers alot of faith related issues and looks at the ways faith is shaped and changed on the battlefiled.

Historical soldier wise we've used and enjoyed George Washington -- Soldier, Hero, President from DK readers in the past. it's a grade 3 reader but is very accurate in it's accounting.

We are going to be studying pioneers of our country and our faith this fall as part of our American History studies. One book I have fallen in love with for teaching history to multiple ages is Hands On History-Pioneers. Chock full of crafts related to stories and facts about the pioneers and geared for kids of all ages.

For heroes, can you take them to your local public service memorial or military heroes memorial plaques/monument? If you are talking about heroes in relation to faith Corrie Ten Boom is always a stunning example, though it brings up issues you may or may not want to discuss with pre-adolescent children depending on their sensitivity. For local/national heroes perhaps arrange a tour of the fire & police stations, or if you live near the local national guard armory talk to the recruiter and the NCO responsible for day to day ops. Both should be familiar with giving talks to young children about what soldiers do.

Patriots is always a hard one because it's subjective in nature. We consider all voluntary soldiers patriots in our house, as well as the families of our service members, community emergency response people, and of course the historical patriots like Paul Revere, Ben Franklin, John Hancock, {I recently found Heroes of The Revolution by David A Adler at Barnes and Noble and can't wait to get my hands on it and see what I can make of it lesson wise}

gerberadaisy
06-07-2009, 05:51 PM
P&E are singing a song at church for the 4th of July that involves those four groups of people. I want to spend some time during the next four weeks teaching them about what those words mean. I thought it would be good to find a person or two in each category to illustrate the point-- all in American History. So, if you were to pick two people in each category, who would you pick and why? For soldiers I think I will do branches of the military. :think But the other three categories are so broad I am having trouble focusing. :O

Hero: Clara Barton, Florence Nightingale - I've just always thought they were pretty cool people
Soldier: Colin Powell - No particular reason but I do admire the man
Patriot: Paul Revere, 2nd Patrick Henry, - Paul Revere was one man who's most notalbe act was to riskhis life to save a country, pretty special if you ask me.
Pioneer: 2nd Laura Ingalls Wilder, Davy Crockett (though there may be some questionable stuff in there), Daniel Boone,