PDA

View Full Version : oh dear :( please help

Elora
06-04-2009, 07:25 PM
Ok, a little back story. My nephew, Izaac, was in a public school K and 1st grade. His 1st grade class had 47 students and 2 teachers. Long story short, my nephew got left WAY behind. My sister had multiple falling outs with the administration over many different issues. When it came time for 2nd grade, she open enrolled him at another school. Because he was so far behind, he did not do that well. He didn't technically fail, but they decided he should be held back. In the meantime he'd been tested for auditory processing disorder (he doesn't have that) and something else that I'm not positive what the test was, but it came back that he had brain function of a 12 year old. The next step was to test him for general learning disorders. All this has affected him greatly. He went through everything from nervous ticks, biting his sleeves, nausea, and a myriad of behavioral issues...all which disappear when the stress of school is gone for the summer or seasonal breaks.

I've been trying to get my sister to look into home schooling him for a while. Today she got a letter from the open enrollment school that he went to this year saying that they were full and he wouldn't be abled to attend that school next year :( She and he are both in tears. Really upset :bheart

She has a lot of fears about homeschooling, but is thinking that maybe she should try it now. She works 4 days a week, but could devote the time that they were spending at night on homework, and also the 3 days that she is off.

I guess I am looking for advice. I want to get her some materials for him. And she's wondering if maybe she could start mid summer so that if it's not working out by fall, she can still send him back to the public school that is "their district" because technically they have to take him. Is that a long enough trial period? A month and a half? She is afraid that she won't be able to teach him, and that he won't be able to learn from her, because he has some behavior issues (which imo, would improve greatly without the added stress of public school...but i guess that remains to be seen.

Any body have any thoughts or could suggest some materials that I could get her??? I'm so lost and hurting for them...I can't even imagine the pain she feels for her "displaced" little boy...and she's blaming herself.

If nobody has any advice, please at least say a prayer for them if you get this far.

Thank you

celestial princess
06-04-2009, 07:32 PM
i really hope someone more eloquent responds, but just off the top of my head I'd suggest looking into deschooling and Charlotte Mason/Waldorf/montessori methods, to see which of those appeal to her for him. Not that there aren't other valid and valuble techniques - there totally are :tu - but to my mind, those are the methods that seem easiest to sort of blend into your life, and you begin to sort of feel competent.

:pray4 :pray4 :pray4

Dana Joy
06-04-2009, 07:44 PM
what type of professionals have evaluated him? I would make sure he sees a private psychologist and rule out anxiety disorders.

Codi
06-04-2009, 07:48 PM
Poor guy. Sounds like he has been through a lot and the stress school puts on young children these days is REALLY getting to him. :hugheart for everyone and :pray4 ing too.

Wish I had good advice, but deschooling sounds like a GREAT idea! :tu

kiloyd
06-04-2009, 08:22 PM
Definitely give it a try over the summer, in a relaxed way. Lots of reading to him and fun learning games.

Praying for him.

veggiegirl
06-05-2009, 05:09 AM
I would also advise your sister to use a very relaxed method. Give him some time to take a break from school and then slowly introduce one or two subjects at a time. Maybe pick up a workbook or two in math and reading. That would be easier than buying a whole curriculum if they are unsure about home schooling. I think doing a topical study on one of your nephews interests would be a good place to start too. For example, if he is interested in dinosaurs, have him read lots of books about dinosaur, write a story about dinosaur, have him make a graph comparing the size of different dinosaurs.etc.

:pray4 Saying a prayer for him as well.

Calliope
06-05-2009, 05:37 AM
Poor kiddo. :( :pray4

Elora
06-05-2009, 06:33 AM
what type of professionals have evaluated him? I would make sure he sees a private psychologist and rule out anxiety disorders.
He DOES need a private psychologist. That is our first priority. My sis says she will check into what her insurance covers next week. I think it's going to be really hard for him to concentrate on learning with all the other issues he is having.

I don't think the "right" professionals have evaluated him. She's taken him to pediatricians, family doctors, neuroligists for the "symptoms" but I think the root cause could be better dealt with in counselling. My mom and my sister both have anxiety disorders (diagnosed) and I have no doubt that he does as well.

Elora
06-05-2009, 06:38 AM
I would also advise your sister to use a very relaxed method. Give him some time to take a break from school and then slowly introduce one or two subjects at a time. Maybe pick up a workbook or two in math and reading. That would be easier than buying a whole curriculum if they are unsure about home schooling. I think doing a topical study on one of your nephews interests would be a good place to start too. For example, if he is interested in dinosaurs, have him read lots of books about dinosaur, write a story about dinosaur, have him make a graph comparing the size of different dinosaurs.etc.

:pray4 Saying a prayer for him as well.
ok, this is exactly what I was thinking. The methods that were suggested...like deschooling...do they have math and reading workbooks? I need to learn more about the methods. I should find a deschooling book to read? a book about the method?

He's REALLY into history. He will rattle off life stories of Presidents, complete with dates, in just normal conversation. He has an AMAZING imagination. Every picture he draws (he's very into drawing) has a 20 minute story...like a comic, except without words because he doesn't write all that well. He's also into dirtbiking riding and skateboarding...there's got to be some way to incorporate his interests, so we'll work on that.

celestial princess
06-05-2009, 07:14 AM
deschooling is a way to get a kid out of the competitive school mindset, so that they can enjoy learning in a natural way again.

If he's really into history, i would definitely give CM a close look.

Here's some links:

http://sandradodd.com/deschooling

http://amblesideonline.org/FAQ.shtml#aboutcm

Elora
06-05-2009, 07:20 AM
wonderful :heart thank you so so much

illinoismommy
06-05-2009, 07:26 AM
Story Of the World.... Math U See.... those come to mind because I like them :O ... or maybe she would be interested in starting with a complete curriculum like Sonlight ? ( http://www.sonlight.com/index.html?t=1 )

Calliope
06-05-2009, 07:28 AM
PMed you about her insurance coverage (since we are on the same plan). It is very good. I've used it for counseling and behavioral therapy. :yes

Elora
06-05-2009, 07:37 AM
grace you are awesome. thank you! it will be so much easier for her with this info. she's having a hard time not being overwhelmed.

janet i will check those out and get her information on them too.

thank you all