PDA

View Full Version : 2 quick PA HS questions

amanda1
06-01-2009, 07:10 AM
I can't seem to find the answers to these two questions on any of the PA HS sites.

I plan on pulling dd out of K at the end of the school year. She won't be 8 until 2011. Do I need to file ANYTHING to the state since she is not 8 and hasn't attended 1st grade? ( know the laws for Philadelphia are different than the state in general--I'm not in Philly)

I saw something that said she would require a hearing and eye test. She will get these of course, but do I need to send documentation anywhere for this, or just have it on hand in case someone asks?

I can't seem to find examples of people who have sent their kids to K, but pulled out prior to 1st grade. Thanks for any info.

Singingmom
06-01-2009, 10:18 AM
http://hslda.org/laws/analysis/Pennsylvania.pdf

Don't know if there's any new info there... my interpretation is that nothing is required until the age of compulsory schooling :think

http://homeschool-regulations.suite101.com/article.cfm/homeschooling_in_pennsylvania

This one says "Kindergarten home school requirements are nonexistent in Pennsylvania since compulsory education begins at the age of 8 years old."

WanderingJuniper
06-01-2009, 11:08 AM
You don't need to do anything right now. You pull her out of school and go from there. If she had started 1st grade you would need all the forms etc but because K isn't a mandatory grade in PA you have until the year she turns 8. You don't need to provide proof of vision, dental or physical exams either until the age of 8 years old.

Peaceful Meadows
06-02-2009, 11:10 AM
You don't need to do anything right now. You pull her out of school and go from there. If she had started 1st grade you would need all the forms etc but because K isn't a mandatory grade in PA you have until the year she turns 8. You don't need to provide proof of vision, dental or physical exams either until the age of 8 years old.

:yes This is correct.

amanda1
06-03-2009, 10:51 AM

:yes This is correct.

Thank you! That is what I thought, but I get nervous about the state breathing down my back and fear I may misinterpret the laws in reading them myself. I appreciate the reassurance that my first thoughts were correct.