PDA

View Full Version : We're "starting" our homeschool tomorrow!

Heather R
05-31-2009, 09:47 PM
DD's preschool ended on Friday, and I must have done a good job talking up "homeschool" because she just can NOT wait until September to begin... So, we're officially starting our homeschool year tomorrow, on June 1st. :giggle

We are doing Sonlight P4/5, Handwriting Without Tears K, and the Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading as our "main" stuff, but we'll also be adding Canadian Studies, Art, Music, etc. Oh, and whenever I can settle on a math curriculum, we'll start math. ;) For now I have math "concept" books out from the library... I spent last weekend getting the "school room" set up, and today made a faux "bulletin board" (on the wall) with borders and a set from Education Station...

We're starting out a lot more structured and "school-y" than I intend to end up, because DD has 2 years of preschool under her belt and has certain expectations for "school". :giggle Plus, I figure it's easier to loosen things up than try to impose more structure later... We'll see... :think :yes

Anyway, I'm excited and wanted to share with people who'll "get it".

Heather :heart

Tara
05-31-2009, 09:51 PM
That's great, Heather!

IslandMama
05-31-2009, 09:58 PM
Congratulations! :heart How exciting for you both!

Teribear
05-31-2009, 10:05 PM
We'll start back July 6th...right after DD gets back from her week long mission camp.

Codi
05-31-2009, 10:10 PM
That's great! :heart

We are doing Sonlight P4/5, Handwriting Without Tears K, and the Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading as our "main" stuff, but we'll also be adding Canadian Studies, Art, Music, etc. Oh, and whenever I can settle on a math curriculum, we'll start math. ;) For now I have math "concept" books out from the library... I spent last weekend getting the "school room" set up, and today made a faux "bulletin board" (on the wall) with borders and a set from Education Station...

This is almost exactly what I am planning for ds as of right now. Im still doing some research on Sonlight vs. Ambleside or something similar, but Im REALLY liking Sonlight so far and we will start P4/5 in September if that is what we choose. Along with HWOT and TOPGTR. Im not sure about mat yet either. :giggle I may do Math-u-see or something similar. I just dot the dvd today so I need to watch it and see if I like that.

We're starting out a lot more structured and "school-y" than I intend to end up, because DD has 2 years of preschool under her belt and has certain expectations for "school". :giggle Plus, I figure it's easier to loosen things up than try to impose more structure later... We'll see... :think :yes

:yes :yes :yes I didn't plan on being so "structured" either, but ITA with starting more structured and loosening up as I go to see what best fist ds. I think the idea of starting with a base and working out from there is a great idea for us.

kiloyd
06-01-2009, 06:49 AM
Exciting! Let us know how it goes.

WanderingJuniper
06-01-2009, 06:52 AM
How exciting! I haven't decided when to stop for this year with Bird and when to start next year with both Bird and Bear. I'm thinking we'll stop maybe the week before FAther's Day and then start again after my birthday at the end of July.