PDA

View Full Version : All About Spelling - a rave review

stbmomof1plus2
05-30-2009, 10:25 AM
I have "All About Spelling" for my almost 4 year old and we are loving it :rockon
It is a phonics based reading/spelling program that is unlike those I have seen. I love that is teaches ALL the phonics sounds for letters in the beginning. For instance, the letter "O", it doesn't just teach "o" and in "open" and "ah" as in "opposite", it also teaches "oo" as in "to" and "uh" as in "oven".
This makes so much more sense than just the first two sounds kids are normally taught (like on the fridge phonics things). It helps them know in the beginning they are going to encounter this other pronunciation options. I also love that it teaches "ph" as kind of a separate "letter", so when kids see "ph" they don't think "p plus h", they think of the phonic sound "f".

The main reason I choose this program is because I was a little nervous about teaching my kids reading/spelling because I have dyslexia - so spelling and phonics was an area "I" struggled with as a child. However, using this program has really calmed my fears. There are four total levels I think, and level 1 will take us at least a few months to get through. It is a very hands on program with manipulatives and such. We are combining this with "Rock and Learn" phonics DVD's and I got my hands on a used Veritas Press Phonics Museum that I am just pulling things out of that I really like.

So, if you are still looking for a phonics program and would like one that incorporates spelling and reading - definitely consider this one.

SamRose
05-30-2009, 12:27 PM
Sounds good. DS is 4 and started sounding out words when he turned 3, He only knows the 2 sounds each letter makes, though. I didnt think to try and teach him all the rest until he was reading more, but from wut U describe, it might make things easier to explain it all now. We may have to look into it, thanx 4 the review. :)

teamommy
06-01-2009, 07:12 AM
I am planning on using this for spelling this year.

I agree that the vertical phonics method makes so much sense. Last year when I was teaching my oldest to read, I felt frustrated by the typical phonics sequence of teaching short vowels first, and then so many sight words and exceptions. This method makes sense to my logical mind, lol. :) There really aren't many exceptions with vertical phonics.

There are several methods that teach phonics and reading this way: Writing Road to Reading by Spalding, Spell to Write and Read, Winter Promise Language Arts, TATRAS, are the ones I know of. Is Reading Reflex a bit like this, too? I'm not sure. But I like the look of the colored tiles of AAS. :)

LLMom
06-01-2009, 02:38 PM
I am using this and love it. I have a few spelling challenged children and it is helping a lot. It is a bit similar to Reading Reflex in that they have the kids map and sound the word together. Both also use letter tiles.