PDA

View Full Version : Did you have success with EC?

Emerald Orchid
05-28-2009, 01:07 PM
I don't know anyone IRL or online who has ever done EC successfully with their dc. By success, I mean that their dc were mostly diaper free and potty trained early on. Anyone here?

Iarwain
05-28-2009, 01:20 PM
I'm not sure exactly how you're defining "early on." Rosebud was ECed from 2 wks with diapers for backup. We used few enough diapers (5 or so a day but barely wet, and maybe 1-2 poops in her diaper a MONTH) that I ditched the diaper pail pretty early on. She gradually became more independent. There was a big increase in potty independence and reliability around 20 mos or so and I packed up the diapers entirely by 22 mos. Actually I did have her in mostly training pants rather than diapers from 12 mos or so but she did still have a couple accidents most days until she was over a year and a half. At that time I noticed a big increase in how consistent she was about getting to the potty in time. I consider our EC experience to have been very successful.

zak
05-28-2009, 01:26 PM
I consider us a success story. In undies at 20 months, fully day/night trained with very few accidents by 26 months. :)

I'm putting F in undies a few times a day starting this week (he's 18 months). I'm excited to see how our communication grows and how long before he's dry more often. :tu

Calliope
05-28-2009, 02:11 PM
I have one wet diaper every other day or less often. I change a poopy dipe maybe once every 2-3 weeks. The only reason we are not in undies yet is because I don't have money for special teeny tiny ones yet. I expect to be pretty much done with dipes by the end of the summer. :shrug3

Emerald Orchid
05-28-2009, 02:14 PM
I'm not sure exactly how you're defining "early on."

I thought (from what I read) that ECed kids could be totally diaper free by one?

Calliope
05-28-2009, 02:17 PM
A lot of hardcore EC moms are content to wipe pee off the floor if need be and so make the jump to undies earlier. I think I could have had R in undies at 12 months if I was willing to risk having to mop up poo and pee. Honestly, I'm too chicken for that. I don't think 12 months is the norm though.

ETA: Norm in the industrialized world, I mean. I think it is probably more common among indigenous cultures.

me
05-28-2009, 02:24 PM
i started ec'ing dd2 at 4months and she was in undies with no accidents by 12months. Im not content to wipe pee off the floor so when she started wetting from the introduction of foods i put her back in pull ups. but because of the ec'ing she would take her pull up off after wetting it. and ask me to change her when it was poo'd. so she just used the pull ups to go potty in. now that i got rid of her allergies she puts her undies on.

:yes about industrialized areas

SamRose
05-28-2009, 07:03 PM
DD1 was in undies full time day and nite by 17.5 mons and I didnt really do EC w/ her cuz I didnt know much about it. BUT, we intro'd her to the potty @ 10 mons, and by 12-13 mons she sometimes was telling us when she had just pee'd or needed to pee, and we'd take her. We basically got lucky w/ her I think, lol.

DD2 has been part time EC'd from a week old. We used to catch a lot more b4 she got mobile, and w/ her 1st b-day coming up next week, she is no where near ready for undies. But I see no reason for her not to be in them by the time her sister was, as I plan to get back into the habit of paying closer attention to her, so she pays more attention to herself, if that makes sense. As of right now, she's starting to not care if she is wet or soiled, we're going totally in the wrong direction :P

arelyn
05-28-2009, 09:23 PM
We started EC at 3wks and I was sure it wasn't really working for a while there. I was way too catch oriented, not focusing on just communicating. Despite that I'm happy to dub us a sucess. With the exception of his recent stomach bug Kai has been diaper free since 19mo with very few accidents. I officially packed them away a month later.

Calliope: We couldn't afford teeny undies either so Kai wears soft cotton pants/shorts or sweatpants. They work great though I finally did splurge and bought three pairs of trainers so he could wear his jeans and khakis again.