PDA

View Full Version : please help me make a 1st grade timeline

amanda1
05-28-2009, 11:19 AM
I would like to have a timeline for dd starting in June (when we're starting 1st grade). I thinkI want to start with 1700 and go to 2020. I might not need to go that far into the future, but I thought it would be fun to include future events like HS graduation and our planned trip to Disney in 2010. I was going to mostly focus on American history as well as birth dates of family members and other points that interest dd. My thought was to use 8 1/2 x 11 paper and include 11 years (one for each inch) on each sheet. I plan on laminating that and attaching them along a wall in our basement. The problem is space. I do have an area in which it would fit, but I was also planning on mounting a blackboard in that same area and the timeline won't fit over the board due to a window along that wall.

I'm looking for ideas and suggestion from anyone who has done it or may have a better way for me to do it. Would I be better of including 5 or 10 years per inch? I just thought with including birth dates of family it may be confusing for a 6 yo if each year wasn't specifically listed. Thanks!

ETA: I was also hoping that the timeline I make will take us at least through 3rd grade HS.

Katydid
05-28-2009, 11:25 AM
I saw a good idea on a blog once where they did a time line with several rows of string tacked taught to the wall and they would paperclip index cards for each event to the string. Let me see if I can dig up the link.....

bostonsmama
05-28-2009, 11:25 AM
so you're going to use ONE sheet of 8.5 x 11 paper? I would have to have one paper per year, probably, lol. I'm not sure I'm understanding, though...because you mentioned space. :think Definitely include your Disney trip! :woohoo Holidays?

Katydid
05-28-2009, 11:28 AM
Here it is: http://higherupandfurtherin.blogspot.com/2006/12/our-historical-wall-timeline.html

This is what I plan on doing once we start 1st. :yes

Mert
05-28-2009, 12:23 PM
I like Katie's idea b/c you don't have to concern yourself with leaving enough "time" at the initial hanging. I googled handmade history timeline and found several blogs and sites of homeschool moms who have made timeline notebooks and wall displays. I'd be happy to link you to a couple if you like. I'm interested in a down-the-line sort of way myself.

bostonsmama
05-28-2009, 12:44 PM
Here it is: http://higherupandfurtherin.blogspot.com/2006/12/our-historical-wall-timeline.html

:hissyfit I can'tsee it!! Itopens the page,then an errorbox pops up and it closes :(

Katydid
05-28-2009, 12:51 PM

:hissyfit I can'tsee it!! Itopens the page,then an errorbox pops up and it closes :(

Really? It works just fine for me. :think Maybe try going to the blog first and clicking on the "History" topic on the sidebar. That's how I found it. :shrug3

bostonsmama
05-28-2009, 01:09 PM
nope :( I tried on the desktop and laptop. Noluck. :( Sothey use string and flashcards? Thatsa great idea!

Katydid
05-28-2009, 01:27 PM
nope :( I tried on the desktop and laptop. Noluck. :( Sothey use string and flashcards? Thatsa great idea!

Yes, the kids decorate some clip art picture related to the timeline topic and paste them on the index card along with the written info (name and date, etc.) I think she even uses different colored cards for different threads of history (ex. Europe=blue, Asia=yellow, US=red, and so on). And since they are hanging from paperclips, they can be moved to make space for others. :rockon

bostonsmama
05-28-2009, 01:34 PM
oooh, I like the color coding idea :rockon Thanks, Katie :kiss

backtobasicsmum
05-28-2009, 04:01 PM
Great link! :rockon

amanda1
05-29-2009, 06:54 AM
I am having issues with the site also. I get a glimpse of it, then it tells me microsoft explorer can't open the site. I am going to try to enter antother way. Thanks for that site. It is another I've added to my favorites!

so you're going to use ONE sheet of 8.5 x 11 paper? I would have to have one paper per year, probably, lol. I'm not sure I'm understanding, though...because you mentioned space. :think Definitely include your Disney trip! :woohoo Holidays?

I was planning on using 8 1/2 x 11 paper connected end to end, with 1 inch per year (11 inches per piece of paper). I thought of using 1 inch per 5 years, but to give dd a better grasp of time I thought including each year on the line would be better.

I did find a few blogs and sites with how to for timelines, but I always like the suggestions and ideas the GCM women have!

I also found a neat one to do a timeline of dad's life as a gift for father's day which we may do as a timeline introduction.