PDA

View Full Version : I need a smell-free diaper bucket.

bananacake
05-26-2009, 07:20 AM
We have a diaper......ugh, can't think of the name. Diaper champ! It just doesn't work with bulky, wet prefolds. So forever, we've just had a wet bag on the floor.

All of a sudden, I can't stand the smell :sick

We put it in a trash can with a lid, but Bear wants to play in it. Plus, it still smells. I need something that keeps the smell in, the Bear out, and is super easy to open.

Help :help

Calliope
05-26-2009, 07:33 AM
How long do you go between washings? :think

Katigre
05-26-2009, 07:35 AM
We have a 16 gallon (something like that) flip-top Rubbermaid garbage can with a pail liner inside of it. It doesn't smell at all unless you open the lid (which you do with a foot pedal). I have it wedged between the crib (our changing table) and the play kitchen so it's not easily accessible to play in - but if I had an especially intrepid toddler I'd just turn it around so the part of the lid that opens faces the wall and a toddler couldn't reach it.

bananacake
05-26-2009, 07:40 AM
How long do you go between washings? :think

2 days. We just washed them yesterday and there was only like 2 diapers in there - still so smelly. They may need to be stripped, though the covers are pretty new.

Katigre
05-26-2009, 07:42 AM
Wanted to add, we use prefolds too and the pail only smells when open if it's been over 2 days between washings or if there's a poopy diaper in there. (but if I were pregnant I'd probably think it smells all the time b/c my sense of smell gets HYPER when pregnant).

Calliope
05-26-2009, 07:46 AM
Wanted to add, we use prefolds too and the pail only smells when open if it's been over 2 days between washings or if there's a poopy diaper in there. (but if I were pregnant I'd probably think it smells all the time b/c my sense of smell gets HYPER when pregnant).

Same here. I would try stripping.

bananacake
05-26-2009, 07:48 AM

The poop all goes down the toilet. It's the pee smell that makes me want to run. And the diapers live in my office :sick

amandabarugh
06-03-2009, 09:34 PM
I try to run my diapers through a quick rinse once a day with Bac-out. I'm only washing every 2-3 days, and the rinse helps keep the smell down. Pail powder would be another suggestion.

newday
06-03-2009, 09:44 PM
we have ammonia issues with our prefolds right now. I think I have just got a handle on it. Had to do some serious vinegar rinsing.

try a bucket with no lid on it. really, it just doesn't smell then. promise!
Let me know if you try it!!