PDA

View Full Version : Have you seen the anti-cosleeping billboards in your town?

TrinMama
05-25-2009, 04:10 AM
I saw two of them in my city over the weekend. It shows a baby wearing a onesie that says "I :heart my crib" and the words on the billboard are something like "Give baby some space. Share the room, not the bed"

Now, I realize the standard "teaching" is against co-sleeping, but now to post it all over billboards??? Geez.

Wonder Woman
05-25-2009, 04:12 AM
:mad :rolleyes :doh

Rea T
05-25-2009, 04:15 AM
:hunh Haven't seen those here.

mandieolivia
05-25-2009, 04:16 AM
:mad.

StewardofLOs
05-25-2009, 05:35 AM
who's sponsoring them? crib manufacturers/ sellers perhaps? :rolleyes

TrinMama
05-25-2009, 06:37 AM
who's sponsoring them? crib manufacturers/ sellers perhaps? :rolleyes

It was hard to tell, but there were several logos in the bottom corner. I couldn't make out any of them.

euromom
05-25-2009, 06:45 AM
:rolleyes2 nope, haven't seen them here either

ReedleBeetle
05-25-2009, 07:02 AM
Nope....not yet anyway.

Naked Camper
05-25-2009, 07:04 AM
seriously, who's paying for these? :rolleyes

deena
05-25-2009, 07:06 AM
ugh. How awful and annoying.

Calliope
05-25-2009, 07:14 AM
:sigh http://news10now.com/content/all_news/138023/sleep-safe-and-sound/Default.aspx

ReedleBeetle
05-25-2009, 07:24 AM
And how many died from SIDS???

hey mommy
05-25-2009, 07:53 AM
No. The super crunchy people who practically run the town would probably tear it town.

Beauty4Ashes
05-25-2009, 07:56 AM
wow. The lady I was talking to yesterday said that she knew of 0 cases of sids due to co-sleeping, but could think of people that she knew whose babies died in their cribs. (finally, an ap mama in my area!!!)

DaltonsMomma
05-25-2009, 07:59 AM
I haven't seen one, but if I did it would probably make me mad. Who's business is it where MY baby sleeps? :mad

ArmsOfLove
05-25-2009, 09:00 AM
that crosses so many boundaries for me :mad

poleidopy
05-25-2009, 09:15 AM
:mad

mom2jolakeil
05-25-2009, 10:33 AM
Dr. Morrow says parents should remember babies sleep best when they are alone in the crib.

He obviously never met my babies :shifty

DoulaClara
05-25-2009, 10:49 AM
NY State is really pounding the anti- cosleeping message. Since around Thanksgiving of last year, whenever we go back for a visit, we catch the radio ads (really REALLY obnoxiously heart-rendering) and the television ads. :mad A cousin of mine died of SIDS alone in his crib. I truly wish people would educate about the thread of overlay and suffocation properly (in other words, tell people how to appropriately sleep with their babies) and lay off the SIDS scare tactic nonsense.

hey mommy
05-25-2009, 10:51 AM
Dr. Morrow says parents should remember babies sleep best when they are alone in the crib.

He obviously never met my babies :shifty

mine either...

TrinMama
05-25-2009, 12:12 PM
NY State is really pounding the anti- cosleeping message. Since around Thanksgiving of last year, whenever we go back for a visit, we catch the radio ads (really REALLY obnoxiously heart-rendering) and the television ads. :mad A cousin of mine died of SIDS alone in his crib. I truly wish people would educate about the thread of overlay and suffocation properly (in other words, tell people how to appropriately sleep with their babies) and lay off the SIDS scare tactic nonsense.

:yes2 They have the facts all wrong...or aren't letting the public in on enough. The article mentioned 8 deaths in 2008 (in the certain county), 6 of which involved sleeping with an adult. Well, were they on a couch? Were alcohol or smoking or drugs involved? They're not educating on how you can safely co-sleep. I really feel like there's just no educating anymore... It's "you must do this or your baby will die". :mad

canadiyank
05-25-2009, 12:14 PM
I really feel like there's just no educating anymore... It's "you must do this or your baby will die". :mad

Right! Talk about fear-mongering!

AppleSauceCookies
05-25-2009, 12:22 PM
Totally tragic. I wish people would research and tell people "no" when false information gets in their faces.

I always believed that my kids are so much smarter than the average bottle fed babe, because their sleep is generally uninterupted. No stress of waking up alone and hungry. They barely budge and a feeding is there.

Plus mom can sleep more too. I don't have to get up and grab the baby out of the crib, I don't have to fill a bottle. I mean this isn't a slam against bottle feds. Some mommy's are as on the ball with timing as machines... :) But, it's a tad more challenging than a ready made boob and a sound roll over, nurse, go back to sleep routine.

Brain development is critical and our babes get the best when they can sleep the most.

hey mommy
05-25-2009, 12:52 PM
Totally tragic. I wish people would research and tell people "no" when false information gets in their faces.

I always believed that my kids are so much smarter than the average bottle fed babe, because their sleep is generally uninterupted. No stress of waking up alone and hungry. They barely budge and a feeding is there.

Plus mom can sleep more too. I don't have to get up and grab the baby out of the crib, I don't have to fill a bottle. I mean this isn't a slam against bottle feds. Some mommy's are as on the ball with timing as machines... :) But, it's a tad more challenging than a ready made boob and a sound roll over, nurse, go back to sleep routine.

Brain development is critical and our babes get the best when they can sleep the most.

That's all fine and dandy if it you are able to.

Meli
05-25-2009, 02:11 PM
I agree that it is fear mongering and horrible.

On the plus side, at least they are encouraging babies sleeping in the same room.

TrinMama
05-25-2009, 02:22 PM
On the plus side, at least they are encouraging babies sleeping in the same room.

There is that...yup.