PDA

View Full Version : Postcards from Grandma

Shnooky
05-24-2009, 09:02 PM
My parents are "grey nomads" (they live in a caravan and are travelling around seeing Australia), I have asked my Mum to send a postcard to my kids when they get to a new town and then we can look for the town on a map. My oldest is my 3yo DD, do you think she is too young for this?

Rabbit
05-24-2009, 09:04 PM
My son at 3 would be too young, but might love to look back on it later. My daughter at 3 would have understood at least in part, enough to appreciate it.

Codi
05-24-2009, 10:20 PM
I think my ds (3.5) would think it was cool! :tu

Shnooky
05-24-2009, 11:13 PM
My DD is actually closer to 3.5years. I think, if nothing else, she would love getting something in the mail.

Codi
05-24-2009, 11:30 PM
OH yes, definitely! She may not totally "get" it. I mean, the idea of whole 'nother country, etc... but she gets the idea of "Faaaaaaar away" and THAT, my son would think was :tu

Shnooky
05-25-2009, 12:14 AM
hehe we are in Australia too

BHope
05-25-2009, 05:34 AM
My three year old would totally get it and look forward to it. :rockon That's a fantastic idea. I might ask my mom to do something similar. (They're not traveling, they're moving to the other side of the states.)

DaltonsMomma
05-25-2009, 07:32 AM
I had friends who were cross country truck drivers when DS was 3. I asked them to send postcards and Dalton loved getting them. We had a US state map and I would have him put a sticker on the state where our friends were. Then I had him put a matching sticker on the postcard so that he could match them to the map without my help. He didn't totally get it, but he really liked it. I also got a cheap pocket photo album and had him store the postcards in. That way he could look at them/ play with them without tearing them up.

WanderingJuniper
05-25-2009, 07:36 AM
My parents and grandparents do this everytime they travel for each of my kids. They love it. When they went to Alaska they had no idea how far from home it was until we looked at a globe. Pirate loved it especially since the globe spun and of course it was a ball. :giggle

Codi
05-25-2009, 09:52 AM
hehe we are in Australia too

:doh I knew that. :shifty