PDA

View Full Version : She needs more challenge

tempus vernum
05-23-2009, 05:04 AM
For fall, though, my dd has said she's ready to be challenged more. . .she thought school was a good way but not this year for sure :no Being a mostly unschooler, I at some point will consider her opinion but I know it's not this year. . . and may not be ever :shifty

So here is my basic plan
1. explain to her why we homeschool
2. explain to her all the methods and ways to homeschool (possibly borrowing books/curriculum to "show" her)
3. explain why we chose structured unschooling
4. explain learning styles and help her determine her learning style
5. go through a book that talks about who she is. . . strengths and weaknesses, etc.
6. help her determine the direction she goes in the fall - if she still wants to do a formal curriculum, I will go from there.

Hmm. . .actually writing it out, I am actually excited to do this with her. It's kind of like the monthly meetings we used to have to determine what we wanted to study every month. The kids really liked that. I could bring ds into the discussion for #6 and determining what our "school" looks like next year. We do that for extra activities and discuss the sacrifices we will have to make for something. :mrgreen

Thoughts? Advice?
And does anyone have any good really easy links to explain HS methods to a child :) I am about to google it so I will include info if I find any ;)

Singingmom
05-24-2009, 04:36 PM
That's really the essence of unschooling isn't it, trusting the child to determine how she wants to learn? :heart

This is a pretty simple comparison but it leaves out classical and probably more...
http://www.articlealley.com/article_858478_22.html

Codi
05-24-2009, 10:25 PM
http://www.homeschool.com/Approaches/default.asp

Sounds like an awesome plan! :tu Id totally challenge her more if that is what she is asking for. She can always take it back later. ;) :giggle

ArmsOfLove
05-25-2009, 09:56 AM
I would look for ways within homeschooling to challenge her more. If unschooling is about meeting their needs how they best respond then I'd look for more structure, more advanced learning than she's been doing, and maybe make this year about teaching her to take charge of her education--get you, ask you, find answers herself, structure her own day, etc.

tempus vernum
05-25-2009, 04:10 PM
I would look for ways within homeschooling to challenge her more. If unschooling is about meeting their needs how they best respond then I'd look for more structure, more advanced learning than she's been doing, and maybe make this year about teaching her to take charge of her education--get you, ask you, find answers herself, structure her own day, etc.

Oh, that is definitely what we are doing :yes

She came up with the idea of "more challenge" after she went to my brother's graduation ;) and when listening to her friends and she thinks that "maybe someday" school can provide that for her.

That is why we are starting with her learning why/how we homeschool and learning style etc. Because she says she "wants more challenge" but truthfully is not very interested when we do have more structure. Most of our structure is rhythm oriented and they choose what type of learning games etc that they do ;)

I think this came up because dh and I were discussing that of all our children she'd do school very successfully except that she may not get challenged enough there :giggle