PDA

View Full Version : kindy currics... help! HOD, MFW, others?

Havilah
05-22-2009, 06:16 AM
I've been reading about both My Father's World and Heart of Dakota... they both look pretty good to me. I'd love to see a comparison between them, but I can't seem to find anything like that. Did any of you consider both, and what tipped your scales one way or the other?

My son is an older 5 and cannot read... isn't really much for phonics either. He knows most of his uppercase letters, but that's about it. He LOVES science, and he loves to build and create things. He'll also listen to stories (on CD, or from chapter books) all. day. long.

I need something that's open-and-go. I work part-time and cannot devote lots of time to piecing things together. I don't think I'd want to do that even if I had the time. ;)

Of course based on the above description of my son I'm open to other suggestions. Thanks! :heart

The Tickle Momster
05-22-2009, 08:07 AM
We use MFW and really like it. It is very much open & go. It takes a few days to get the feel. Also, before starting there is some prep work. If you do it all before Day 1, it's super easy.

The phonics is very gentle and effective. Kinesthetic activities are included.

Lots of good books, good biblical truths, and fun!

cobluegirl
05-22-2009, 09:11 AM
I liked MFW too. I haven't heard of HOD

Grover
05-22-2009, 09:12 AM
Im just finishing HOD LHFHG.
I loved it-its been a great year.What I love about HOD
Its open and go
It has very few consumables
It needs very little preparation-its open and go
It doesnt call for any fancy materials-its usually stuff we have at home,like foil or a plastic lid or eggs....
It doesnt require much in the way of writing[DS dislikes writing]
It has lots of great books that my son has enjoyed
Its quick activities - nothing too sedentary for my energetic boy

The phonic/math is seperate and that meant we could go up on the Math to singapore 1a/b and we di The Reading Lesson for phonics

Titus2Momof4
05-22-2009, 04:24 PM
When we homeschooled, I had looked at HOD. (I also looked at MFW but can't remember what it looked like.) Anyway, the biggest thing that I LOVED about HOD just from looking at the samples online was that every subject was boxed off. Something about that seemed like it could be very open-and-go as well as touch-and-go..........meaning, we could do a couple things, take a break and do other stuff, come back and do another 1-2 boxes, take a break, etc.

Havilah
05-22-2009, 04:57 PM
Thanks so much, ladies. :) I'm narrowing this down, and that's been helpful. I'm still interested to hear comparisons... but it makes sense that if someone really liked one that they wouldn't have much experience with the other. ;)

Ca_mommy
05-22-2009, 05:13 PM
I don't really know anything about HOD, but I do know that MFW is a Charotte Mason/ Classical type of curriculum. We chose to do MFW for K and I can't wait to start!

Heather R
05-22-2009, 08:20 PM
I just got a catalog from Winter's Promise, and it looks really neat!

We're going to be doing Sonlight P4/5 for kindergarten, but if I had seen WP before I ordered Sonlight, I might have done it instead...

Heather

kiloyd
05-22-2009, 09:24 PM
I looked at MFW and HOD last year for my 2nd grade ds. I chose HOD b/c it seemed more user friendly, open and go.

zak
05-22-2009, 09:50 PM
:popcorn :)

doubleblessings
05-23-2009, 03:47 AM
I remembered an older thread about this...
http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/mb/index.php?topic=174701.0

Havilah
05-23-2009, 04:59 AM
I remembered an older thread about this...
http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/mb/index.php?topic=174701.0

Thanks! That's what I was looking for. I did search... but didn't find it. :)

jenny_islander
05-24-2009, 10:41 PM
The Ambleside Year 0 curriculum is extremely simple; it consists mostly of reading good storybooks and the Bible. In addition, you need a foreign language curriculum and a nature handbook for your region.

bostonsmama
05-28-2009, 01:01 PM
I just went through a long, hard debate between these 2 programs. I chose MFW (this was for 1st grade, we did MFWK last yearand loved it,theHOD i Looked at was LHFHG).

For HOD, I wasn't a big fan of the science book, it was VERY basic...like preschool basic. However, the only thing I have to compare it to is MFW K, which was heavy on the science. I could easily have supplemented the science, no biggie at all.
I also wasn't a big fan of the art. It was once a week, and again, very simple. One example was to cut out faces from a magazine and glue them randomly on construction paper. We're big art fans here, and I could have EASILY supplemented, but I really love the science and the art with MFW.

I didn't look at their recommended math, because we're doing horizons. I liked the history, and may still purchase one of the books (there are 2, I liked one better than the other, but I don't remember the names, lol) It did seem like they REALLY rushed through the history, though. For example, there were 2 pages written about ponce de leon/florida, and it was factual and to the point (which of course, kids that age need) but there is no way my ds would retain that knowledge...kwim? I'd rather spend a few weeks learning a lot about a subject and have it be something he'd actually remember...kwim?

I also *really* like all the activities offered by MFW

Keep in mind this isallfor 1st grade, notK.We did MFW K and loved it!

(excusethe typos,halfof my keys aremising...including the space bar :doh)

LvnLtl1s
05-28-2009, 01:39 PM
:popcorn