PDA

View Full Version : Baby Powder

appalachiamama
05-19-2009, 01:28 PM
Has anyone used the powder that contains zinc oxide? :shrug3 I'd never seen it before, but I was wondering how compatible it is with cloth diapers and if it works any better. I normally use J&J Cornstarch.

2sunshines
05-19-2009, 04:35 PM
I never have so I have no idea. I just use cornstarch too.

AngelaVA
05-20-2009, 05:28 PM
I haven't but I think it's petroleum products that are a problem so I'd say a powder would be okay.

TuneMyHeart
05-20-2009, 05:30 PM
probably a stupid question, but why do you use baby powder or cornstarch?

2sunshines
05-20-2009, 05:33 PM
I use cornstarch when baby has a rash that needs treating. A little bit of corn starch and the rash has always gone away by the next diaper change.

TuneMyHeart
05-20-2009, 05:33 PM
ok, I knew people used cornstarch for rashes. But I don't know anyone who still uses baby powder. :O

appalachiamama
05-20-2009, 06:17 PM
ok, I knew people used cornstarch for rashes. But I don't know anyone who still uses baby powder. :O

Now you do. :)

Naked Camper
05-20-2009, 06:39 PM
we were told by our doula with Malachi not to use baby powder b/c of respiratory problems it could cause :think

that's good to know about cornstarch. I had not heard that before

Iarwain
05-20-2009, 07:07 PM
Most baby powder sold today IS cornstarch. They add some scent to it and put it in a fancy shaker bottle but most of them if you look at the label it says "pure cornstarch" on it or something similar. May as well get it for a fraction of the cost in the grocery store.

Littledisciples
05-20-2009, 07:46 PM
I have used that kind of baby powder before with my cloth diapers and it hasn't hurt them. I think it works great for bad rashes. I just sprinkle a bit in and it normaly clears up really fast.

AngelaVA
05-21-2009, 03:58 AM

Now you do. :)

Me too, with my older DD is was the ONLY thing that would help keep her rashes away to use the cornstarch powder every time. It's just easier to use the baby powder jar with the shaker for me. (it's still very cheap). Not the same as talc powder which is really bad.

appalachiamama
05-21-2009, 05:04 AM
Me too, with my older DD is was the ONLY thing that would help keep her rashes away to use the cornstarch powder every time. It's just easier to use the baby powder jar with the shaker for me. (it's still very cheap). Not the same as talc powder which is really bad.

That's probably what we'll do since Mike uses it too :blush , it would be much more cost-effective. :yes

TuneMyHeart
05-21-2009, 06:13 AM
I have some burt's bees baby powder I got at a baby shower for Ellie (almost 4 years ago :lol). Maybe I'll try it. ;)

Littledisciples
05-21-2009, 09:02 AM
Another cheap and good remedy that works with cloth diapers is Taking regular cheap cornstarch baby powder it can be found for a dollar and put it in a baggy and add Tea Tree Oil. About 2 cups cornstarch and 2 tbsp of TTO. Mix it all up good and let it set for 24 hrs. Then you have a great baby powder that will take care of anything.

BTW you can also use powder to dust baby all over on hot days it helps absorb the sweat and makes them feel cooler. You can even do that with yourself as well.

Iarwain
05-21-2009, 10:20 AM

I always pried the top off and refilled it with regular cornstarch when it got empty. An empty spice jar works too.

AngelaVA
05-21-2009, 01:34 PM
Off to try the tea tree oil and the prying off the top idea :rockon

appalachiamama
05-22-2009, 06:04 AM
I tried prying off the top, but maybe I didn't work hard enough. . . :scratch I bought the zinc-oxide-ed corn starch yesterday (I had a good coupon and Mike's Walgreen's employee discount). We'll see how it works.

AngelaVA
05-22-2009, 07:06 AM
So, I tried prying off the top to do the tea tree oil. I thought I had remembered trying to pry the top unsucessfully before and on the Johnson's powder it could not be done but it did work on the generic Target brand powder. Anyway, I think it depends on the container, maybe the Johnson's people are wise to us ;)

CrunchySeaSalt
05-22-2009, 07:25 AM
Burts bees is delicious smelling, we use that here. Since she is in diapers soemtimes she sweats and the diaper chafes or *my bottom itches*
I can imagine with dipes rubbing all day.

Works for us and there is NO talc. It has myrrh, rosebuds, cornstarch.....so nice smelling and good for her :yes

appalachiamama
05-22-2009, 08:43 AM
So, I tried prying off the top to do the tea tree oil. I thought I had remembered trying to pry the top unsucessfully before and on the Johnson's powder it could not be done but it did work on the generic Target brand powder. Anyway, I think it depends on the container, maybe the Johnson's people are wise to us ;)

Cursed Johnson's people. :lol

Littledisciples
05-22-2009, 02:06 PM

Cursed Johnson's people. :lol

You pay more for the top to not be pried off. :giggle :giggle