PDA

View Full Version : Fabrics for Cloth Pocket dipes- I want to use Snappi's- trouble shoot w/ me?

ValiantJoy07
05-18-2009, 09:19 AM
At this point we have 8 BG's, 3 home made diapers (fleece they are from RRP's pattern and I use pins to fasten- keep stabbing mysef!! :blush) and 16 Thirsties with 3 covers, 2 Thirsties AIO's and a Fuzzi Bunz. So we have a total of 30 diapers and I'm planning on making at least 15 -20more using Rita's Rump Pocket diaper pattern ( http:// handmadebyrita.blogspot .com /2007/10/classic-rrp-ritas-rump-pocket-pattern.html ) to fill out our stash for 2 in dipes.

We'll be using BG's for night time (they have been awesome for that) and for trips out since they are the most like disposable and easiest to deal with for DH and all. I will be using Thirsties and maybe a few more home made ones (a bit larger) to fill out her stash) what we have for dd and new baby will mainly be in the home made dipes. We won't be starting to cloth diaper untill baby is 2ish weeks old (I wanna be past the meconium stage and have a couple weeks to heal before having the double laundry work).

For the home made diapers I have- well they are great...But I cannot stand the thought of using pins and so I was thinking of going with Snappi's to fasten them under the Wonder Wraps One Size covers- I'm planning on getting 6 of those covers because we go through thristies (size medium) covers really fast some days.

ALL that to say- I was reading that snappi's don't do well on flannel and that's what the pattern calls for- I've made fleece ones of this pattern but I'm not sure if I want my entire stash to be made up of fleece dipes... I was thinking flannel on the inside and fleece on the outside- and making them with a built in insert(and closing off the pocket so they aren't really pocket dipes any more but more fitted dipes)...

I really don't love the thought of all fleece on the outside- I wanted some thing a little slimmer: maybe still going with a fleece insert built in for a fitted dipe, but I'm drawing a blank trying to think of a cotton fabric that would do really well with snappi's.

Any suggestions ideas? some thing I'm not thinking of???

TIA! And I hope this made sense- feel free to ask me questions or make any suggestions for our stash- I need to start sewing in the next few weeks but though I've priced out fabrics I haven't started any purchasing yet.

Yuliana
05-18-2009, 10:00 AM
Sherpa
Velour
Knits

musicmama
05-18-2009, 10:08 AM
If you're using a cover because the dipe isn't waterproof, I wouldn't use fleece at all :shrug3 Since the fleece you're using isn't absorbant, and you're not using it as a cover part of the dipe, or an inner pass-through layer, i'd just leave it off.

You can't snappi velour well, but I'd go with sherpa or a cotton knit. Or bamboo terry or bamboo fleece. Or cotton t-shirts from the thrift store. Since you're making them yourself, you can make them quick-dry by only sewing 3 or so layers together at any given place.