PDA

View Full Version : Critique my list please!

mommy2abigail
05-16-2009, 05:15 AM
Ok, so we are planning to slowly buy the things we will be using for our hs journey. I am hoping to follow dd's lead most of the time, I just need something to show dh...he isn't too convinced on unschooling 100%. So I've compiled this list of things that should take us at least through 8 grade or so. I do not want to buy a bunch of curriculum, since we will be doing different styles based on what she is interested in. We will use unit studies, lapbooks, journals, kits, experiments, library books, field trips, and whatever else we find that is interesting!

Math: Ray's arithmetic
Reading/Literature: McGuffy's readers
Science: Handbook of Nature Study
History/Social Studies/Geography: SOTW and activity guides

This would cost us about $340...and it would last us for 8 years, and for all of the children. Would that be a good 'spine' so to speak to have for dh? Any other suggestions? Do we really NEED grammer? I figure she will learn it while reading good literature...Mc Guffy offers a series of workbooks...some for reading and some for writing, but they are pricey! For both sets it would be about $220! I'd get them if it's necessary, but I'm not sure if they are? Anyone used them? Sorry for all the questions, and thanks for the advice!

2TMama
05-16-2009, 06:04 AM
I'm certain if at some point you *wanted* something more for Grammar/English, you could find a less expensive option.

Hopefully somebody will chime in on your "list".......I don't feel qualified ;)

:popcorn

IslandMama
05-16-2009, 07:40 AM
Your list looks great! You've come up with a super spine list! :yes

If you want to add gentle grammar, I would suggest Primary Language Lessons by Serl for grades 2-4. It covers grammar and composition, as well as poetry, reading comprehension, picture study, copywork, dictation... you can use it however you want to. Lessons are short, some oral. And it's only around $15! It has quality literature and poetry in it. Dd enjoys it! Then you can use Intermediate Language Lessons after that if you want too... If you like McGuffy readers, I'm thinking you'll like these books as well. When you get to junior high, you can select a grammar text then. I wouldn't buy it now (check out Analytical Grammar--it covers everything in 2-3 years). Anyhow, hope that helps. By the way, we love doing lapbooks...just when dd starts to get tired of "school" we throw in a lapbook which keeps her interested and makes it fun!

Titus2Momof4
05-16-2009, 10:07 AM
Just a couple of thoughts, since you said this is to last til 8th grade...

-where does handwriting, and eventually writing (essays, creative writing, writing paragraphs, etc) come into play?
-yes, I do believe you need Grammar. No, I don't believe it must cost $220, although if $220 lasts you 8 years, go for it.
-will she ever read anything other than McGuffey readers, or is that just your 'starting point'?

mommy2abigail
05-16-2009, 12:21 PM
Thanks for the suggestion Islandmama! I will definitely check it out!

Titus...not sure about handwriting, essays, and stuff like that comes into play? :scratch I was figuring that we would just 'do' handwriting, like have her copy letters? And as for the other writing, just do it, practice it and get better? I didn't think that it was something that I would have to 'teach'... :shifty

As for grammer, yes I know it has to be taught, I just wasn't sure if I needed a whole 'system' or if we could just correct her writing as she goes? I will look into the suggestion from Island mama though! Yes, $220 is totally worth it, I just wasn't sure if that many workbooks was necessary (it would be 16 workbooks for 1-4 grades)

NO WAY is that all she will read! We have TONS of books and literature around here! We will read anything she desires, things of interest and classical literature and poetry as well.

This would be just a spine of our homeschooling journey. I guess to make sure *I* don't miss anything? I don't even know, I'd love to go the total unschooling/child-led route, but I'm not there yet...maybe in a few years I'll be ready to do it. Off to find grammer!

Singingmom
05-16-2009, 02:56 PM
Looks good! :tu

Copywork from some of your good books, Bible verses, and poetry is great for handwriting after they've learned how to make letters. You can write it out for them on their paper when they're little and it's tough to copy from a book. There are also worksheets online to print for free as they learn to make letters or you can do that yourself. 

I second Primary and Int. Language Lessons.  There's also Simply Grammar which is one book, many exercises done orally, some written.  And Mad Libs!  You can wait for more formal grammar til they're older.  You can pull out spelling words from dictation (again taken from your good books, etc) that they need to practice (that sounds too easy, but my boys are both good spellers and this is all we've ever done). 

Narration helps with language skills a ton.

Your spines look great and you can pull so much from there and add other things later on if you see a lack. :)

Titus2Momof4
05-18-2009, 05:38 PM
Thanks for the suggestion Islandmama! I will definitely check it out!

Titus...not sure about handwriting, essays, and stuff like that comes into play? :scratch I was figuring that we would just 'do' handwriting, like have her copy letters? And as for the other writing, just do it, practice it and get better? I didn't think that it was something that I would have to 'teach'... :shifty

As for grammer, yes I know it has to be taught, I just wasn't sure if I needed a whole 'system' or if we could just correct her writing as she goes? I will look into the suggestion from Island mama though! Yes, $220 is totally worth it, I just wasn't sure if that many workbooks was necessary (it would be 16 workbooks for 1-4 grades)

NO WAY is that all she will read! We have TONS of books and literature around here! We will read anything she desires, things of interest and classical literature and poetry as well.

This would be just a spine of our homeschooling journey. I guess to make sure *I* don't miss anything? I don't even know, I'd love to go the total unschooling/child-led route, but I'm not there yet...maybe in a few years I'll be ready to do it. Off to find grammer!

Well, I am thinking back to all of the key things that I learned in middle and high school WRT writing things such as essays. Good essay writing is not something most people just "know how to do". Some people do, but not most. I mean, usually it takes lessons of some sort, followed by actually putting it into practice. I guess I just don't see how the "well we'll just let her write and figure it out" approach is ......going to work out.

(For handwriting, copywork is a good idea, once she knows how to form letters properly :yes)

ArmsOfLove
05-18-2009, 07:02 PM
I love the Simply Grammar book from Charlotte Mason--and it's pretty cheap ;) Not sure about moving beyond that--though I'm not sure you'd need a curriculum if you know grammar.

I'm curious why McGuffy readers for your literature "program" :)

Ima LeShalosh
05-18-2009, 07:10 PM
We used Ray's Arithmetic for our son for 2nd grade...he went from being ahead of his age/grade, to being behind by a full grade. I ended up having to buy LifePack to get him caught up. It moves directly from single digit addition/subtraction straight into multiplication and division. It was impossible to move him into something so advanced before learning multi-digit add/sub.

We also started with the McGuffy readers...but quickly abandoned them and bought Explode the code. The only old time curriculm we still use and love is the Emma Serl Primary Languages. I wish all the old basic curriculum was written as well as hers.

I have both the Ray's and the McGuffy Readers that I would like to sell if you are interested.

mommy2abigail
05-18-2009, 07:32 PM
Sure, pm me the price!

ArmsofLove, I love old books, and in this series it goes from very simple to hs level. It wont be the only thing we are reading for sure, but just something I can have to show dh...

ArmsOfLove
05-18-2009, 10:19 PM
thanks for answering--I was really curious :) I had a McGuffy's reader when I was younger--but even reading at a college level from a very young age the "King James" style ;) was difficult for me. I could read them--but it was the use of words that we don't have anymore or that didn't have context for me. I don't know if they've changed them at all :think

mommy2abigail
05-19-2009, 05:09 AM
Honestly, I think I want them more for *me*.. :giggle is that bad? :O

Singingmom
05-19-2009, 04:55 PM
:lol I love old books too. If you don't end up using the Readers as part of your core, you may find some worthy pieces to pull out now and then for copywork, poetry, etc.