PDA

View Full Version : creativity - how does it play out in your home?

Iveyrock
05-14-2009, 08:58 AM
I got Amanda Soule's book, The Creative Family, and while I appreciate the ideas; it didn't really have what I was looking for. I want to know how it looks, day to day, creating with a toddler and a preschooler. Where are your lines between what is ok for experimentation and what isn't? How do you practically deal with the mess? How structrured are you about projects? Where do you draw the line between respect for materials and experimentation? how do you foster creativity (in all areas, not just art), and still have some boundaries?

I am sure this will vary from family to family, but I would love to see how it plays out in real life. I know how it looks for us right now, but I also think I could stand to question some of my guidelines.

My kids used to love to draw and paint, but a couple of months ago they discovered that their art tools can be used for other things. Like, today, they spent time poking their watercolors with their paintbrushes, to make powder. I don't like that :shifty

WanderingJuniper
05-14-2009, 11:17 AM
My kids used to love to draw and paint, but a couple of months ago they discovered that their art tools can be used for other things. Like, today, they spent time poking their watercolors with their paintbrushes, to make powder. I don't like that shifty
:shrug3 I would have been okay with that.

I don't like when the activity goes from intentional creation to purposeful destruction. I don't know how to explain the switch over but I can see it in my kids so it means that if my children are doing a project from art to building with blocks they are within my line of site.

I'm also pretty okay with a task related mess but make it clear to them when I get the supplies out that they will be cleaning up when they are finished. If they don't want to clean up a kitchen full of glitter and feathers they should be careful using them. I guess my drawing line is the assumption that mom will do it with mess clean up and destruction of things around the house. They put a hole in a screen in the kitchen yesterday because they were helping a bear escape prison. (Apparently a little too much KungFu Panda.)

Iveyrock
05-14-2009, 01:08 PM
My kids used to love to draw and paint, but a couple of months ago they discovered that their art tools can be used for other things. Like, today, they spent time poking their watercolors with their paintbrushes, to make powder. I don't like that shifty
:shrug3 I would have been okay with that.

I don't like when the activity goes from intentional creation to purposeful destruction. I don't know how to explain the switch over but I can see it in my kids so it means that if my children are doing a project from art to building with blocks they are within my line of site.

I'm also pretty okay with a task related mess but make it clear to them when I get the supplies out that they will be cleaning up when they are finished. If they don't want to clean up a kitchen full of glitter and feathers they should be careful using them. I guess my drawing line is the assumption that mom will do it with mess clean up and destruction of things around the house. They put a hole in a screen in the kitchen yesterday because they were helping a bear escape prison. (Apparently a little too much KungFu Panda.)
:giggle :giggle :giggle
That's exactly what I am wondering... I know I didn't like them poking the paint to bits, but then I'm thinking - this is probably not that big a deal.
My kids seem to have an amazing ability to find a creative use for ANYTHING, despite what it is intended for. And of course I love that - but sometimes it gets overwhelming or out of control.