PDA

View Full Version : EC and Adoption

Sculpturegirl
05-13-2009, 01:51 PM
My baby will be two when she comes home and I'd like to EC, but I don't know if it is too late or if there is any weird psychological somethings connected with pooping and peeing. I have heard of some children not wanting to let go of poop (anal retentive) or children who revert to diapers, even after potty training, during a stressful time. I don't want DD to feel like I'm pushing her to do something she isn't ready for, but I'd love to have as few poopy diapers as possible. I have a Baby Bjorn potty that she can sit on as well as a mini-seat that fits in the big seat, so she doesn't feel like she'll fall in.

DH isn't as thrilled about EC as I am, but he's not the one who will be home with her all day. :P~

What do you think about the psychological ramifications of EC on a newly adopted toddler?

cro
05-14-2009, 10:22 PM
hmmm... I don't really have experience w/ EC, but I did adopt a 2 year old. Do you have any idea how they potty/diaper in India? In Russia, M didn't wear diapers in the orphanange (at least not until we went there and bought diapers for them to put on him). They had the toddlers sit on little potties at regular intervals throughout the day. If your dd has a similar routine, then EC isn't a far stretch - she might actually be more comfortable w/ that than diapers.

As w/ most things, it's probably best to just play it by ear. Offer new things, but follow her cues and don't force anything - at least not in the beginning. It's gonna be such a huge and wonderful adjustment for all of you - good luck and congrats!

Sculpturegirl
05-15-2009, 07:32 AM
I think a lot of families in India EC, but I don't know about in the orphanages. Diapering so many children does seem like a lot of work. We got her a teeny Baby Bjorn potty so that she can more easily squat. Perhaps she'll prefer that to diapers!