PDA

View Full Version : *sigh* reading

MidnightCafe
05-13-2009, 11:39 AM
Ladies, I'm SO struggling with how to feel about Mane and reading. It's a long story, but I'll try to keep it short.

Mane asked me to teach her to read when she was 3, and I thought, "Great! She's going to be an early reader." I, personally, know I could have learned to read when I was 3. My parents were not the type to teach reading early, though. So, I learned to read in 1st grade (because that's when they taught reading way back then ;) ). I was 6 years old, and it was so simple and easy for me.

So, I taught her letter sounds. Casually. We had fridge magnets and whatnot. Then I taught her to sound out simple 3-letter words. She was shocked and excited.

Then it got dicey. When she was 4, I got the 100 Easy Lessons book. I let her ask for lessons. We did them a few times a week. Then she got bored (and frustrated?), and we never went back to that book. We continued to work on reading casually. She continued to sound out short words (3 or 4 letters with short vowel sounds).

When she was 5, we checked out stacks of Bob Books from the library. We talked about silent e and various other reading rules. It became apparent that reading was not coming easy or quick. I encouraged her to try to read Bob Books to me. She became frequently frustrated and tired.

This year (when she was 6), I got The Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading as a guide for myself to organize the order in which to teach reading rules. Mane was super interested and wanted to do the lessons in the book. We picked up somewhere in the middle because she was past short vowel sounds and a few basic sight words. For a few months we persisted with lessons until she became tired, frustrated, and upset.

We also picked up the Scholastic book 100 Words Every First Grader Needs to Know (or something like that). She's completed the activities for about half that book.

I'm so afraid she'll hate reading. I'm concerned that there might be a problem I'm missing (like dyslexia). I read recently that pushing kids to read too soon (before their eyes are ready) can create problems like dyslexia and a need for glasses. Anybody know about that?

I don't know how much to push and how much to let it go.

It's really hard to see kindergartners who are reading better than she is. It's because I feel like I might not be doing something right. We've tried labeling things around the house. We've tried playing games. She plays on Starfall. I read to her constantly.

So, we're at the end of her "1st grade" year and she can read anything with a short vowel. She understands the silent e rule and will sound out a word properly if I point out the e at the end. She knows "sh," "ch," "th," "wh," "ph," "er," "ir," "ur," "ou," and knows the rule "if two vowels go a'walkin' the first one does the talkin'." Many of those things, though, she won't automatically sound out right. She'll only do it if I remind her by saying things like, "What does 'sh' say?" If she's not feeling like reading she'll say she doesn't know.

Normal? Not normal? She just turned 7.

canadiyank
05-13-2009, 12:51 PM
I do not HS, but I help with reading with my dd's 1st grade classroom, and in what I've observed what you're describing seems pretty common. There's such a range in these kids and it's very interesting. Many of the kids I have to point out those rules...they do really well with the short vowels but they seem consistently stumped by the others. Some of them will retain it for the length of the book but forget it by the next time I help them, others every time we encounter the rule we review it. :think I'm not sure what to say except I've encountered a bunch of 7yo very similar to your dd! :hug

klpmommy
05-13-2009, 12:57 PM
how is she with sight words?

MidnightCafe
05-13-2009, 02:19 PM
I do not HS, but I help with reading with my dd's 1st grade classroom, and in what I've observed what you're describing seems pretty common. There's such a range in these kids and it's very interesting. Many of the kids I have to point out those rules...they do really well with the short vowels but they seem consistently stumped by the others. Some of them will retain it for the length of the book but forget it by the next time I help them, others every time we encounter the rule we review it. :think I'm not sure what to say except I've encountered a bunch of 7yo very similar to your dd! :hug

Thanks! That's exactly the kind of info I'm looking for. I just need a check-in to know what's normal, and, since Mane is not in school, I don't have anyone for comparison.

MidnightCafe
05-13-2009, 02:21 PM
how is she with sight words?

Once she knows a sight word, she knows it forever. This also has me wondering about approaches to reading. I guess I sort of "believe" in phonics, but I've heard there are some good things out there about whole language approaches. I don't even know if that's the right terminology. You could point me in the right direction if that's what you were thinking.

klpmommy
05-13-2009, 02:52 PM
that's exactly what i was thinking. i'm nak right now, but i'll be back. :)

klpmommy
05-14-2009, 06:38 AM
I would go to the library & have her pick some picture books that are fairly easy to read, but interesting to her. Then sit with her & do the following:

Read the title with her. Then give her a couple of sentences that tell the basic story. (The Brand New Readers have a good example of this. (This is a set, my library has them :tu http://www.amazon.com/Brand-New-Readers-Red-Set/dp/0763620629/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1242307995&sr=8-1 )

do a picture walk through the book so that she gets a good idea of what is going on in the story. Have her predict the story based on pictures.

at this point if there are any harder vocab words, write them out for her & teach them to her. For example, if you are reading a book about butterflies it might contain the word chrysalis. Teach her that word.

Then let her read the story. When she gets to a sight word, remind her she knows it. If she gets to a word she doesn't know, have her use the first letter & the picture to figure it out as well as what makes sense. If the story rhymes, be sure she realizes it b/c there is a natural flow to rhyming stories. If she misreads a word, but it makes sense, let it go at the first reading, but then go back & point out the first letter after she has read it & see if she can figure out what word it really is.

Have her retell you what she read afterward to see if she understood.

It will be awkward at first, esp since she is used to doing phonics. But I would try that for a while to see if it starts to click. Some kids are whole word readers naturally. I am. Phonics slow me down & confuse me.

Other things that help: word shapes- high letters, middle letters, low letters. Let her trace new words in the air, in salt or sand. Let her dance or sing the new words (spell them, then say them).

teamommy
05-14-2009, 08:13 AM
Have you read anything about the Charlotte Mason approach to teaching reading? The linked article is only a part of it. She does recommend teaching basic phonics sounds as you have done, but then she expands on that. The basic idea, once you are at the point you are now, is to take a nursery rhyme or very short poem, and teach the words she does not already know at sight, as sight words (I am pretty sure this link expands on some ways to do this, and CM ways would have the child spell out the words so the child learns to spell them at the same time). Then, the next day, you have a word building session. It is similar in some ways to the approach in the book "Teach a Child to Read with Children's Books", except that CM did not have the children use any pictures or guess the words.

http://www.amblesideonline.org/CM/1_5b.html

MidnightCafe
05-14-2009, 09:15 AM
Thanks to both of you! I appreciate you taking the time to respond. I never guessed I'd run into issues with reading, and I was totally unprepared for it.