PDA

View Full Version : Does your child always use the blocks for MUS?

MidnightCafe
05-13-2009, 11:13 AM
Now that I just answered a question about MUS, I thought I'd ask one that's been on my mind. Does your child use the blocks to figure out all the math problems or do you try to get them to do the problems without the blocks once they seem to have a concept mastered? Mane is finishing up Alpha, and I have required her to do the tests without the blocks. She can do it, but she'd rather not. What do you do?

Leslie
05-13-2009, 12:05 PM
I have the opposite problem - my child should use the blocks to "get" the concept and see how it works, but he'd rather try to figure it out in his head. So far, all three of my sons have been this way.

backtobasicsmum
05-13-2009, 12:06 PM
I have the opposite problem - my child should use the blocks to "get" the concept and see how it works, but he'd rather try to figure it out in his head. So far, all three of my sons have been this way.

:nak2 My oldest ds is this way. :shrug3

allisonintx
05-13-2009, 12:06 PM
my kids only use the blocks under duress. If they can't get it and they can't understand how I explain it, then I *MAKE* them use the blocks.

jenn3514
05-13-2009, 12:10 PM
DS uses them to grasp new concepts such as place value. Once he gets it, he tends to build really cool designs with them instead of doing math. :lol

Garland
05-13-2009, 12:55 PM
I have my son use the blocks when we're learning something new. Then once he "gets it" he can choose to either use them or do without them.

MidnightCafe
05-13-2009, 02:37 PM
:think Mane is strongly tactile & kinesthetic. I cannot imagine her actually wanting to do the math without the blocks. :shifty

mama-hobbit
05-13-2009, 02:42 PM
Mine use the blocks sometimes... and sometimes they come up with other counters. Rory likes the abacus. :shrug3.